Demise of the CL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I look at my kids generation I realize that they will find their iphone pro-11's will meet 99% of their photographic needs. It would be a very brave CEO to direct their camera company to compete with that.

18 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes the iPhone 11pro is quite impressive. But when I compare 10x images from my phone with tele shots from my CL with long R glass there is a vast quality difference. 

Sure but the CL is not a fixed prime camera. 

31 minutes ago, Mr.Prime said:

When I look at my kids generation I realize that they will find their iphone pro-11's will meet 99% of their photographic needs. It would be a very brave CEO to direct their camera company to compete with that.

+1

On 3/6/2020 at 5:30 PM, nicci78 said:

Rent your camera for 3 years. After that time you will get the next model to rent for 3 years.

An interesting idea but just like a car I suspect that they would want cameras back in pristine condition or would levy a charge. I'll stick to buying.

44 minutes ago, lct said:

Sure but the CL is not a fixed prime camera. 

Nor is the iPhone 11Pro - it is a three-lensed zoom camera.

I tried it against the CL and 55-135 . No contest, it only proves that smartphones have not caught up by a wide margin. If the kids have a photographic bone in their body, they will use the phone at what it is good at: a notebook for social media, and take a camera - any camera for photography.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/307286-cl-vs-iphone11pro/

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28 minutes ago, jaapv said:

[...] If the kids have a photographic bone in their body, they will use the phone at what it is good at: a notebook for social media, and take a camera - any camera for photography. [...]

Problem is would they (or their parents) buy an expensive fixed prime camera if they have an iphone already. CL is another story.

On 3/5/2020 at 5:34 PM, Jake said:

No. It will cease to work the moment the CL2 is introduced. You'll have to pay a subscription to use the previous model.😎

I remember a friend that didn't know shite about photography kept telling me my pictures were better because I had a better camera. Many that never used film consider FF cameras the pro camera, providing superior results (although that is changing). You'd be surprised how many people buy cameras based on talking points developed by manufacturers as their purchasing guide. 

Well if that's how it works, we all should throw in the towel, sell our cameras and save ourselves a lifetime of frustration.  The Hubble Space Telescope has the best camera EVER. 

Edited by Herr Barnack

12 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Well, we have those: The TL was designed to be attractive on the smartphone market by virtue of its interface and Leica did go into cooperation with Huawei.

Enough then if the TL does sell, but does it i have no idea.

15 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Well if that's how it works, we all should throw in the towel, sell our cameras and save ourselves a lifetime of frustration.  The Hubble Space Telescope has the best camera EVER. 

Hubble will become worthless next year when the James Webb Telescope goes live.

Probably going to be able to buy Hubble off the 'bay for half what it cost to make it and maintain it. Which would be [...] $2.85 billion. Bargain!

4 hours ago, raadoo said:

Probably going to be able to buy Hubble off the 'bay for half what it cost to make it and maintain it. Which would be [...] $2.85 billion. Bargain!

I fully expect Leica to offer the Hubble S3 limited edition, with the Hubble converted to the S mount.

Priced at $2.85 billion + $25,000 for the limited edition S3 body, the bidding war that will ensue for this one of one S3 set will be beyond fierce.

This masterpiece will be the ultimate setup for sports and wildlife photography.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 1

I'm happy if the CL remains on the market as is.

I'm happier if the CL2 is released, assuming it has the improvements I want. Just take my money! Not so happy if it has the wrong improvements.

Not happy Jan if the CL is withdrawn without replacement.

At this stage I'm still happy, as the CL has not been withdrawn..