Advertisement (gone after registration)

LeicaRumors is suggesting that Leica has stopped making the CL. The question of course is whether that means the end of the APSC format for Leica - highly unlikely. Or means the imminent arrival of a CL2.

Hmmm. Didn't want to read this as I join a Leica forum with the plan of grabbing a used CL and a Vario L as a first foray into Leica ownership.

There appear to be an awful lot of fine CL bodies around right now, could that be a reason or is it simply post-Christmas wallet emptiness?

Neill W

Posted (edited)

Although of course I haven't the faintest idea of sales numbers, I have a hard time thinking they'll abandon the CL line. The hidden value of that line is that a lot of folks buy the camera and then buy (or use) M lenses for it as well. Are they intent on forcing folks to decide on the SL2 or M10-whatever: two far more pricey options?

Edited by bags27

I have 2 CL bodys and a bunch of TL lenses, now I got into the SL2 with several lenses as well. Love the SL2, but as a traveling camera, I like the CL form factor better.
If a CL2 with significant improvements were to be released, I would buy it in a heartbeat. But what I would really want for it is a 18mm Summilux.

Something else I would buy (but not holding my breath on it) is a Monochrom CL.

Alain

I think the only person who could answer these questions is Jono! 
But of course, he won’t! 🙄

Jono, if you are reading this thread; I hope you are enjoying the “new” camera; whatever it may be! 😜

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It should be possible to follow Jono on his heels to see with what he is shooting. Erlkönig shooting as the germans call that (for new cars).

This is total non sense. All based upon a dutch dealer that did not even have the camera in stock. 
Much ado about nothing 

We are way too early for CL2. Not before November 2020. Or more likely early to mid 2021

1 hour ago, Louis said:

I think the only person who could answer these questions is Jono! 
But of course, he won’t! 🙄

Jono, if you are reading this thread; I hope you are enjoying the “new” camera; whatever it may be! 😜

Hi There Louis - now I'm reading this thread.

But I can't really contribute except to say that the CL is great and I can't see a good reason why Leica would abandon it!

4 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Hi There Louis - now I'm reading this thread.

But I can't really contribute except to say that the CL is great and I can't see a good reason why Leica would abandon it!

You are absolutely right, dear friend; CL is a great camera and we should all thank you for your contribution. 😁

Posted (edited)

I just ordered a CL - After looking at many options it looks to be very suitable for what I want. I'm sure others will come to the same decision as my needs are not that unique so I would expect there is a sufficient market for Leica to maintain it. Comparing sales of the CL with the mirrorless competitors will likely be depressing but that has never been what modern Leica is about.

I do hope to see a CL2 released in a year or two. 

fyi - my only gripe are the lenses, I like a 'standard' lens which would be 35mm but I don't need the heft and size of the 35/1.4 TL which leaves me using an off-brand solution. 

Edited by Mr.Prime

Don’t worry CIPA forecasts that APS-C will still represent at least 75% of the total market in the future. Full frame will never get over 20%. m4/3 is predicted to go under 5% though. 

So APS-C is still the meat and potatoes of video and still photography. Why would you want Leica exiting such important market ? 

Just look at how Fujifilm manage to grab market share with APS-C alone. 
Nikon did bother to launch APS-C variant of Z mount. 
Canon still strongly support EF-M.

Sony has launch several A6xx models.

Ricoh Pentax still think that their main market is APS-C. 

Vast majority of people do not need full frame. Really. Not so many people are ready to haul over heavy equipment. 
APS-C is the new digital version of 24x36 film. 
Just like digital full frame is the new 645. 

I love my CL, took it out yesterday in DC to shoot early blooming cherries.  I am hoping that this news, if true, portends a CL2, which i will purchase in a heartbeat.  If you are considering the purchase of a CL, i would say wait a bit to see if there will be a CL2, and possibly to snap up an almost new CL for a bargain.

33 minutes ago, Viv said:

Will my CL still work if a new model is introduced?

No. It will cease to work the moment the CL2 is introduced. You'll have to pay a subscription to use the previous model.😎

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

Vast majority of people do not need full frame. Really. Not so many people are ready to haul over heavy equipment. 

I remember a friend that didn't know shite about photography kept telling me my pictures were better because I had a better camera. Many that never used film consider FF cameras the pro camera, providing superior results (although that is changing). You'd be surprised how many people buy cameras based on talking points developed by manufacturers as their purchasing guide. 

4 hours ago, jonoslack said:

is that a hint re: NDA? 😋

4 hours ago, SugarBubble said:

I love my CL, took it out yesterday in DC to shoot early blooming cherries.  I am hoping that this news, if true, portends a CL2, which i will purchase in a heartbeat.  If you are considering the purchase of a CL, i would say wait a bit to see if there will be a CL2, and possibly to snap up an almost new CL for a bargain.

more likely i will keep using my CL until the M-EVF is out and consider a jump to that because I may end up using only M mount lenses on my CL.

4 hours ago, Jake said:

No. It will cease to work the moment the CL2 is introduced. You'll have to pay a subscription to use the previous model.😎

???? That's absurd.

What do you base this on?