push on lens cap for lens hood of R summicron 50mm version 1

andrew01

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I have scoured the internet but can’t find the answer to this question:

I would like a push on lens cap that fits the front side of the lens hood 12564 that comes with R summicron 50mm version 1.

I could only find reference to a push on plastic cap that fits when the hood is reversed (part 14163).  But since the lens is quite compact with the hood mounted I don't want to reverse the hood, and just want a cap that fits the front of the hood for protection when putting the camera in a bag.

I measured the OD of the lens hood with digital calipers and it looks like it is 65mm.  Can anyone confirm a successful fit with a slide on 65mm cap? If you can provide a leica part number for a cap that fits that would be much appreciated.

Hello Andrew,

As I remember, Leitz never provided what you want here, front cap for 12564 hood.

I don't have the Summicron-R 50mm anymore, but happend to have one plastic push-on cap inside size "65mm",

marking 65 Φ and part number 14089M (I don't know if it would fit your hood) and I can't confirm,

this cap used on an generic short hood Φ55 screw-in for wide angle lens.

I have no experience with the 14089 cap but it was made for R lenses like 16/2.8 or 90/2.8 IINW. The R 50/2 v1's caps are 14172 (lens cap) and 14163 (hood cap) in my Leitz catalogues. Why not reverting the 14163 hood for transportation? The lens will be better protected and will take less room in the bag this way. That's what some of us used to do with no problem at all, but it was almost a century ago :D.

Edited by lct

I save any potentially 'possible to use as a lens cap?' plastic jar tops / tin tops/ tube tops … and use them in preference to the OEM lens cap … to avoid losing the precious and expensive OEM caps. Also line the inside of 'almost fits' tops with self adhesive velour to reduce the diameter and ensure a snug fit. 

dunk 

• Like 1

And this has reminded me to do the same, I have the V1 50 Summicron R, on my SL, and the hood reversed all the time it is stored. I do not have a cap, and should do something positive about it. The Dunk idea of any cap that could work appeals.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I use zinc oxide non-stretch sports injury tape to line hoods that are slightly too loose. This is ultra sticky tape but in hot dry climates, it does dry up over a couple of years and needs to be renewed. The self-adhesive velvet I have bought recently, has had very feeble glue on it and it rapidly wrinkles up and/or drops off. I have run out of the super sticky velvet I used to have. I don't like to use super-glue on the velvet, just in case I want to renew it at some later date. Anyone got a source for the super sticky/semi permanent velvet/velour? I have a number of metal hoods that need their velvet renewing. 

Wilson

I have some very nice sticky material used by a high end hifi turntable manufacturer which makes a good lining for lenscaps.

i have made lenscaps from cardboard and gummed paper used for attaching watercolour paper to painting boards. As it has old fashioned water soluble glue you can remove it just by re-soaking.

there is plenty on the internet if you google making lenshood, I found instructions on a Russian camera user website.

Gary, 

Self adhesive flock does not work well inside lens hoods. I know as I have tried that. The flocking surface wears off quickly and the lens hood becomes loose and the hairs from the flock sit on the front of the lens. It is fine for non-wearing surfaces such as the inside of a camera, lens or telescope but just not for wearing surfaces. I  suspect my answer is to buy a small quantity of high quality silk (real silk not synthetic) velvet and then use a contact adhesive, such as Evostick. 

Wilson