where do you buy used leica gear?

Nachtmsk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

30 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

Are there any shops that stock OLD Leica lenses, from the 1960's, at reasonable prices?  The new gear I can't afford, especially after buying the M10.  That cost me $6500, which I think is close to what I paid for my M8.2 ten years ago....   maybe $5500, not sure.  Both were "open box sale" cameras.

Let me make sure I have read this correctly.  Did you just use the words "Leica" and "reasonable" in the same sentence ?  :D

Edited by Good To Be Retired

41 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

Are there any shops that stock OLD Leica lenses, from the 1960's, at reasonable prices?  The new gear I can't afford, especially after buying the M10.  That cost me $6500, which I think is close to what I paid for my M8.2 ten years ago....   maybe $5500, not sure.  Both were "open box sale" cameras.

Is there a particular lens your looking for? I would think old and new lenses show up in some of the places we have been talking about in this thread.

People so far have run the table on the best sources, and I have also used all of them with fine results.

For me, Tamarkin is la crème de la crème, but a variable amount of used lenses, occasionally rather small (and with three of the same thing). but they are always the first place I check, just because their listings are so accessible.

Bergen County Camera is a retail-new store, so their used stock is limited to "whatever comes through the door." However, my sister lives about 15 minutes away, so I try to always check in with them when in North Jersey. Found a couple of nice R long lenses there a few years back.

Only problem with Classic Connection is I've had trouble making contact - seems like it is a one-man operation and the phone doesn't pick up. I eventually give up and look elsewhere.

KEH has been very efficient, and I've used them for nearly thirty years (back to my Nikon/Contax SLR days, when I needed things shipped to Puerto Rico). In that time I've had only two dud purchases out of 40 or more - a Leica 250-R that was missing one of the lens flanges, and a 28 Elmarit-M with glass separation deep inside. So it pays extra to check what they send, just in case. I'd use them again any time, though - they have a 14-day grace period with voucher-paid UPS returns.

I would say that 10 years ago or more, they had a kludgy ("Internet 1995") but, for me, much easier interface. Just select "Leica M Lenses" from the home page to see everything they had, or optionally, everything that was inbound and would be available soon. Now their glitzy modern site requires filtering down from "Used lenses" to "mount - Leica M" to "brand name - Leica" - not quite as simple.

Finally, I personally use a local store for many lens purchases - if they happen to get in something I want. Their web sales are strictly via eBay, so it takes a call to see what's actually on the store shelves. Englewood Camera, Littleton, CO.

Andreas and I are not their ad agency, so Google them to get the home page and phone. They usually have about a dozen lenses with a fair mix (I've seen 75 f/1.4, CL-type 40s and 90s, near-new ASPHs and Summarits, even a used SL with Panny L zooms). My recent "finds" there: 28 and 35 v.2s, 75 APO-Summicron and C/V f/1.8, 135 TE, 50 Zeiss ZM Planar. The classic "candy store."

to MikeMyers: KEH has a fairly large stock, so that is usually a good bet for older lenses. But all the stores tend to have large swings in stock - sometimes months with no 50s or 28s or pre-1970 lenses, and then sometimes 4-5 all at once. And something good may only stay on the shelf a few days (hours?!) before someone snaps it up. I tend to scan all the stores with "used" web pages at least 2-3 times a week - just in case.

I might also note that Camera West seems to carry quite a few early lenses. Just filter their site for Leica / lenses / rangefinder, and then rank by "lowest price first." The oldest lenses usually pop right to the top, and you don't have to wade through the f/0.95 and 24 f/1.4 lenses ;) .

They are slightly disorganized to deal with, having two stores but only one web site. Sometimes takes being on hold while they check with the other store to make sure something is still available.

Edited by adan
  • Like 2

Thanks, Adam.  Next time I need/want a lens, I'll remember your list.  Last time I had a need, I bought two lenses (new) from CameraQuest.  I think I'm covered for now.  But every time I think that, a need shows up shortly afterwards!   :-)     I agree with what you wrote about KEH, they have been a pleasure to deal with.  I scroll through their used accessories, and also at B&H, and have bought things that I will eventually use, but only AFTER I find that I'm comfortable with the basic camera.  

(Years ago, I would walk into Willoughby's and Olden Camera in NYC, dream while looking over their shelf of used gear.  Live, in front of me, was so much more attractive than a listing on my web page.  Nowadays, I get lots of ideas from reading here in the forum.)

9 hours ago, mediumformula said:

Chris in the B&H used dept is cool.  I bought my Rolleiflex 2.8F and Weisner 4X5 from him.  Prices were fair, actually cheaper than ebay for the Rollei.  SOHO Leica store always has used stuff too for OK prices. 

Thanks for the recommendation - next time I need to call them, I will ask for Chris.     :-)   :-)

I bought a used Leica thumb-rest, and the Visoflex optical accessory from B&H, and then found the old-style polarizing filter holder.  If they ever get a "grip" in stock, I would probably get that as well.  Someplace I read that some of the grips have a built-in GPS.  That would be handy.  But they're so expensive...........

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

Thanks for the recommendation - next time I need to call them, I will ask for Chris.     🙂   🙂

I bought a used Leica thumb-rest, and the Visoflex optical accessory from B&H, and then found the old-style polarizing filter holder.  If they ever get a "grip" in stock, I would probably get that as well.  Someplace I read that some of the grips have a built-in GPS.  That would be handy.  But they're so expensive...........

Actually your visoflex has the GPS function built in. The link below might be helpful.

11 hours ago, Good To Be Retired said:

Let me make sure I have read this correctly.  Did you just use the words "Leica" and "reasonable" in the same sentence ?  :D

Yep, sure did.  All it took was to redefine what I accept as "reasonable".  When it comes to lenses, anything over $1000 I just ignore.  I'm plenty happy with my "antique" lenses from the 1960's, which also are lighter and smaller than the newer replacements.  I ignore "new" stuff, and only look at what I can buy used - have been doing that for many, many years.  

50 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

(Years ago, I would walk into Willoughby's and Olden Camera in NYC, dream while looking over their shelf of used gear.  Live, in front of me, was so much more attractive than a listing on my web page.  Nowadays, I get lots of ideas from reading here in the forum.)

I remember the narrow stairway up to Olden Camera. I don't recall if I ever bought anything there, but I do remember looking at their Nikon's back in the early 80's. They always had the Yellow pages in the back of the Photo mags. I enjoyed looking through their pages to see what various pieces of equipment were going for. I was in H.S. at the time though so the only camera I had the time was a OM-1 and a bit later, a Nikon FM.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Actually your visoflex has the GPS function built in. The link below might be helpful.

Yep, I'm aware of that, but I bought the used Visoflex for other reasons, and I don't expect to keep it on the camera.  I like low-angle shots, and I no longer enjoy lying on the ground to take them.  The Visoflex means I can ignore all my old viewfinders for special lenses, and just use the Visoflex.  The grip is something I think I would keep on the camera always.

I'm not sure if the grip still provides GPS information on the M10.  If so, it's something that would go on my camera and stay there.

(Does it still provide GPS on an M10 ??)

1 minute ago, Nachtmsk said:

I remember the narrow stairway up to Olden Camera. I don't recall if I ever bought anything there, but I do remember looking at their Nikon's back in the early 80's. They always had the Yellow pages in the back of the Photo mags. I enjoyed looking through their pages to see what various pieces of equipment were going for. I was in H.S. at the time though so the only camera I had the time was a OM-1 and a bit later, a Nikon FM.

Wow, you're bringing back memories....!!!!    Then they had the "side room" with tons of museum type stuff for sale, most of which I had no idea what the things did, or why.  I used to work there for a short time, moving stock around, as my parents thought that would be good for me.  Sure was good for me - before I went back to college, I bought the M2 !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

Wow, you're bringing back memories....!!!!    Then they had the "side room" with tons of museum type stuff for sale, most of which I had no idea what the things did, or why.  I used to work there for a short time, moving stock around, as my parents thought that would be good for me.  Sure was good for me - before I went back to college, I bought the M2 !

Very cool that you got to work there and get an M2. I was too young at the time to consider it and I lived on Long Island, about 60 miles, and a world, away. But I would go into "the city" for any excuse and visit Olden, 47th street, etc... Oh, and definitely the  Nikon house in Rockefeller center. It was so cool to be able to look at and touch Nikon's that I could never have afforded. I still have the the F2's I bought a few years later.

1 hour ago, Nachtmsk said:

.....I still have the the F2's I bought a few years later.

I still have one of my F2's (gave the other away), and my F4.  Not sure what to do with them, maybe put in a showcase, with my old Leica and Contac cameras.

To Kwesi:    :-((((((((

As to using my Visoflex, that would mean I need to remove my thumb grip, which I think is essential.  Maybe if I get the base grip, I wouldn't need the thumb grip?

• Like 1

Personally, I would throw them both out😀.

The little nub by the exposure compensation wheel is actually quite effective for 99% of the M lenses.

I silently suffered with the thumbs up digging into my ribs from the M9 through the M240 P until I added the M246 and was faced with having to by another one to match the M240 P.

I took it off the 240P and never looked back. Now on the M10 P, I definitely don't miss it. Then again, my most used lenses are the  28/2 v2, 35FLE  and 50/1.4 ASPH