where do you buy used leica gear?

Nachtmsk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'm looking to get an M10.  Where do you get your used Leica gear and have you had good experiences there?

I see a few possible locations online.

1. Tamarakin

2. Leica Store  - Miami seems to have a decent amount of used gear.

3. Keh

4. Ebay -- not my first choice. Seems hit and miss

Am I missing any good places?

Thanks,
Mike

PopFlash or Leica Store SoHo. Some have also expressed satisfaction with Camera West/Leica Store San Francisco.  Note that some of these also maintain eBay listings in addition to their own retail/online listings (e.g., PopFlash).

Leica Miami (Josh) is always a good place to start. They carefully check equipment and refuse to sell gear with known issues (like corroding sensors) without first ensuring proper servicing by Leica. 

Jeff

I’ve bought from all of the mentioned Leica dealers. I only ever had two negative experiences with Leica SF and Leica Miami selling a lens with a big scratched element and a camera with misaligned rangefinder but they both remedied I immediately with apologies.  Both items were used and collectible items for disclosure sake. That said, My definitive list for Leica sellers is as follows (in no particular order)

1. Leica store Miami 

2. Bergen County Camera 

3. Popflash 

the other dealers are all excellent but the above three have always gone WAY above and beyond for customer service. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

I just purchased a very clean used M-10 from Josh in Miami. He was great to deal with.  As an added bonus, FL has no sales tax for online sales.

Now I'm looking for a 50 summarit, but no rush. Miami only had a cron.

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nachtmsk said:

Thanks everyone.

I just purchased a very clean used M-10 from Josh in Miami. He was great to deal with.  As an added bonus, FL has no sales tax for online sales.

Now I'm looking for a 50 summarit, but no rush. Miami only had a cron.

Mike

Awesome! Josh is great. Splurge for the Cron. Only a 5% difference in overall cost. 

😎

• Like 1

DISCLAIMER:  It's hard for an individual to buy enough stuff to get a really solid experience base, but for what it's worth this is mine.  YMMV.

• Leica Miami and Popflash have been very good sources in my limited experience.
  • I also kinda like Breague (SP ?) camera in Japan via eBay.

•  KEH, I am given to understand, is no longer owned by the same people, but I have no personal information in that regard. They recently had an Internet forum reported "computer" issue with their checks bouncing, no personal information in that regard either.  My recent searches seem to show a very low level of Leica stock.  I'm also a bit annoyed that they are listing items such lens caps and grading them as "Refurbished" :D  On the other hand, I've gotten some really nice stuff from them that hasn't been graded very high, so how can you tell?
  • Leica SF recently sent me a lens with "perfect glass" that had fog in it.  I guess the glass WAS perfect, it just had something on it :P
  • I rather like B & H, but their stock is not very deep for used Leica.
  • eBay dealers in Japan may on occasion be a bit chancy, with gradings like MINT +++++ EXCEPTIONAL SUPER FINE, and when you look further at the fine print the lens coatings are damaged "but it doesn't affect the images" :D
  • I was watching an eBay lens where the condition was described only as "Used" with no mention of the cosmetics, mechanicals, finish, or anything.  I requested further information on those items and got ignored.  I would suggest that if an items had no more description than "Used" that the buyer might be trying to protect himself from returns.  Which doesn't work of course, but it sounds like sort of weasel wording to me.  I certainly wouldn't purchase from someone who doesn't want to answer question about what he's selling.
  • I do kinda like Breague (SP ?) camera in Japan via eBay.
Edited by Good To Be Retired
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

My number one choices is BH Photo Video in NYC.  Wonderful service, reasonable (not low) prices, and a return policy.

And if you make a friend there you can dicker a little from time to time.

I've only ever had good experiences with Ebay - lenses mostly, but I do buy used M bodies.  They have to be about 3 - 4yrs old max and only from sellers with very high ratings.

I'm happy with the M240 I got to upgrade from M9 that way.  Will do the same when used M10R's are about 60% of the new price.

Leica owners typically take very good care of their gear

• Like 1

Are there any shops that stock OLD Leica lenses, from the 1960's, at reasonable prices?  The new gear I can't afford, especially after buying the M10.  That cost me $6500, which I think is close to what I paid for my M8.2 ten years ago....   maybe $5500, not sure.  Both were "open box sale" cameras.