S1 vs SL2 shutter sound

Tailwagger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm finding myself being asked to shoot a number of upcoming events in the coming months where a quiet shutter is requisite. Given the nature of the work, I'm contemplating if it might not be worthwhile to get a second L body. As the S1 is down to $2K at the moment, I've begin considering if that it might be worthwhile compliment to the SL2. I've been pleasantly surprised by how quiet the is SL2, so I am now wondering if the Pano's sound is similarly muted or if its a clacker. Somewhat of a deal breaker if it's the latter. Anyone with both?

You’ll need to confirm for yourself if it meets your requirements but I find my S1R shutter well damped and unobtrusive, while not quite as quiet as the SL2. I would be happy with it during a wedding shoot.

The S1/R also has the option to set a fully silent shutter, unlike the SL2, if you doin’t need to use a flash, that is.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Thanks 1

The S1 and S1R have a little lever on the front, lower left, that silences the shutter -- it goes all electronic and the sound added to signal an exposure is muted.  It's a nice implementation, as thee is no last-minute menu-diving.  And if a problem with banding from fluorescent or LED lights crops up at the shutter speed you need to use,, making the mechanical shutter preferable to the electronic  both the S1s and the SL/SL2 are pretty quiet with the shutter sound set to low, which seems to be purely mechanical sound.

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2020 at 3:23 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

You’ll need to confirm for yourself if it meets your requirements but I find my S1R shutter well damped and unobtrusive, while not quite as quiet as the SL2. I would be happy with it during a wedding shoot.

The S1/R also has the option to set a fully silent shutter, unlike the SL2, if you doin’t need to use a flash, that is.

Gordon

I’m confused... You can set a silent shutter/electronic shutter on the SL2.  I use it for all my profiles that don’t require flash and where rolling shutter is unlikely.  Am I missing something?  I even have shutter mode mapped to one of the custom buttons for most of my profiles.

• Like 1

Am 4.3.2020 um 00:23 schrieb FlashGordonPhotography:

...nono, SL2 offers a silent (electronic) shutter (no flash) as even SL 601 does (since FW 2); a very usefull feature! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jared said:

I’m confused... You can set a silent shutter/electronic shutter on the SL2.  I use it for all my profiles that don’t require flash and where rolling shutter is unlikely.  Am I missing something?  I even have shutter mode mapped to one of the custom buttons for most of my profiles.

My bad. i confused it with another camera I own. Appologies.

Gordon

• Like 1