39mm filters for collapsible lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hopefully nobody minds me asking an ignorant question...

I have an LTM Elmar 50mm f/2.8 and, reading the Ken Rockwell review, he recommends a Yellow #022 39mm filter for b&w photography with that lens.  However, what I am really unsure about is how the filters fit to my lens and, if I am not to buy an authentic Leitz/Leica filter, what I need to look for on eBay, etc.  I don't see any thread inside the collapsible lens so I am guessing that the filters either fit over the lens like the lens cap or somehow grip onto the inside of the lens.  

Grateful for any insights plus suggestions re where I can get them!

as you have a standard E39-filter  thread lens every lens with that thread should fit. the original Leica filter has the code HOOBE and you can be shure to use the richt lens Hood together with Leica filters, other filters will fit the lens but Maybe restrict the use of the lenshood which will be clamped onto the lens. you can buy These filters at certain online places 😉 but if I'd shoot bw i would opt for some stronger orange filter.

• Thanks 1

Take Ken Rockwell with a grain of salt.  A lot of what he writes is flat wrong.  But if you are going to do a lot of B&W photography with film or a monochrome camera, you need the classic set of filters - green, yellow, orange and red.  If you are doing color for scanned film or digital, you can apply the filter in post processing.

• Like 1

Hello Duncan,

if your lens is like this one,

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

or this screw mount

E39 filter must screw in the front lens

(E39 filter is 39mm x 0.5mm  thread)

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello Duncan,

if your lens is like this one,

or this screw mount

E39 filter must screw in the front lens

(E39 filter is 39mm x 0.5mm  thread)

I've got the one on the left and it takes the standard 39mm thread filters same as my Summicron. I've gone for a Leica E39 (or 46) UVA for all my lenses but I dare say ang good brand will do the job. As zeitz says Ken Rockwell is generalising so don't jump straight in all a yellow filter does is increase contrast a bit with blue skies etc, orange is more pronounced and red even more. Green lightens the tone of vegetation and Blue lightens the blues in a scene none of them necessary unless you are shooting for wet printing or B&W slides because you can achieve the effects in post if you are scanning.

Thanks all for the responses I haven't got it here at work today but it's an early f/2.8 - only has distance in feet; I suspect that's the 2nd image rather than the first. I do have Cokin square filters for shooting b&w with my Hasselblad but this lens needs a circular filter if at all! Maybe I should just wait until I get some results before I splash out further! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, nefarious said:

Hopefully nobody minds me asking an ignorant question...

I have an LTM Elmar 50mm f/2.8 and, reading the Ken Rockwell review, he recommends a Yellow #022 39mm filter for b&w photography with that lens.  However, what I am really unsure about is how the filters fit to my lens and, if I am not to buy an authentic Leitz/Leica filter, what I need to look for on eBay, etc.  I don't see any thread inside the collapsible lens so I am guessing that the filters either fit over the lens like the lens cap or somehow grip onto the inside of the lens.  

Grateful for any insights plus suggestions re where I can get them!

If you can't see any filter threads then you probably have the LTM f3.5 lens which takes A36 clamp type filters (readily available via ebay). The f2.8 in LTM or M mount is a 39mm filter thread.

• Thanks 1

My LTM Elmar 5cm f2.8 SN 1549355 from 1958 came with this screw in UVa. I normally never use a filter with any lens, but I have left this on as it looks so nice. I also have the nice screw in chrome hood for this which will screw in the front of the filter or the lens.

William

• Like 1

If you have the A36 version, another option is the SOOGZ adapter, which has an A36 clamp on one end and a 39mm thread on the other, allowing you to use modern multicoated 39mm filters (like the B+W MRC series). The vintage Leitz A36 filters are, I think, uncoated, so you'll get more flare when shooting into the light than with a multicoated filter. The SOOGZ is getting quite expensive these days, but you only need one.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/SOOGZ

• Thanks 1

SOOGZ is a must that I use mainly with A36 lenses mounted on Monochrom.

Those A36 old lenses give so beautiful images with Monochrom that more modern lenses can't give 😔

My light 35/50/90 kit Elmar/Summaron+ SOOGZ for them + colored filters  (not show) on Monochrom

• Like 1

21 hours ago, earleygallery said:

If you can't see any filter threads then you probably have the LTM f3.5 lens which takes A36 clamp type filters (readily available via ebay). The f2.8 in LTM or M mount is a 39mm filter thread.

Looking more closely, I am wrong - there is a thread after all - apologies!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, willeica said:

My LTM Elmar 5cm f2.8 SN 1549355 from 1958 came with this screw in UVa. I normally never use a filter with any lens, but I have left this on as it looks so nice. I also have the nice screw in chrome hood for this which will screw in the front of the filter or the lens.

William

looks gorgeous - they all do!

20 hours ago, nefarious said:

Get yourself down to Harrison Cameras and buy a B+W 39mm yellow filter, or Hoya, or whatever, there isn't much in it nowadays between manufacturers. 

3 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Get yourself down to Harrison Cameras and buy a B+W 39mm yellow filter, or Hoya, or whatever, there isn't much in it nowadays between manufacturers. 

agreed, though it has to be a chrome ring - black would not fit the look at all!  I did notice last time I was in Harrison's that they had a huge array of used filters; all screwed together in great long cylinders - might be worth trawling through them!  I picked up a cable release for my Hasselblad for £2 there not long ago! :D 

The 12549 cylindrical screw in hood is a sensible buy as well. These are no longer made so secondhand Leica dealers or Fleabay. Prices vary a lot for these from not unreasonable to ridiculous. I eventually got mine from Leicashop. I then realised that the 12585, where I already had two of them, fits as well but very slightly obscures the viewfinder. The nice thing about the 12549 is that the standard lens cap still fits. 

Wilson

PS On checking, I now seem to have three 12585 hoods, as another one arrived a few weeks ago on my 35mm/f2.8 Elmarit-R, the other two being on my 35/2.8 LTM Summaron and 135/4.5 Hektor. 

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 1:51 PM, nefarious said:

So I've acquired an orange filter and I've been playing! Now, if I may, I'd like some advice re hoods. Looking at the post above, are there any other specific codes I should be searching for on eBay etc??

Edited by nefarious

There are several Leitz hoods. But if you want something cheap a Chinese 39mm screw vented one will look just as good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Leica-M-Leitz-Zeiss-39mm-39-mm-Metal-Tilted-Vented-Screw-in-Lens-Hood-Shade/361073062446?hash=item5411a1b22e:g: