Leica R production cycle (statistics)

mole73

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello R folks,

I did statistics about the production cycles of R and Leicaflex models from the past. 

I thought it could be interesting for you too 😉

Robert

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that interesting bar chart. 

I have never been quite sure how my R4-MOT relates to the other R4/R4S/R4S-2 models. I thought that all R4 models could use the R4 Motor-Winder, like I have on mine, so never worked out whether the MOT model has anything that the regular R4 didn't. 

Wilson

vor 40 Minuten schrieb wlaidlaw:

Thanks for that interesting bar chart. 

I have never been quite sure how my R4-MOT relates to the other R4/R4S/R4S-2 models. I thought that all R4 models could use the R4 Motor-Winder, like I have on mine, so never worked out whether the MOT model has anything that the regular R4 didn't. 

Wilson

Good question. As far as I know in 1980 the model was officially announced as the "R4 MOT Electronic". Later on in July 1981 the name was changed in "R4". The functions are exactly the same.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mole73 said:

Good question. As far as I know in 1980 the model was officially announced as the "R4 MOT Electronic". Later on in July 1981 the name was changed in "R4". The functions are exactly the same.

Yes, that’s what I understand.

OK, here is Brian Bower's take (Leica Reflex Photography, New Edition)

....emerged in 1980 ... retaining the manual and aperture-priority spot or averaging auto exposure modes of the R3, but with the addition of programme and shutter-priority modes... interchangeable screens were also featured and the camera was designed from the start to accept a motor drive or winder ... in production for seven years ... R4s introduced as a budget model in 1983 identical except for the omission of programme and shutter-priority modes ... in 1986 the R4s Model 2 (USA Model P) was introduced with some minor detail changes.

..... Introduction of the R5 in 1987.....

So it looks as if right from the start it took a motor, which is totally consistent with mole73's post, with a name simplification in 1981.

Edited by masjah
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Besides the production cycle it's interesting to see how many camera have been produced and how many have been made in a year. Here the R3 and R 4 models (all R4 models) were the most succesfull:

R3 > 70000 (17500/year)

R4 > 100.000 (14250/year)

and the long runner R 6.2:

21.000 (2100/year)

Torsten

On 3/3/2020 at 3:57 PM, wlaidlaw said:

Thanks John. My R  compendium (Jonathan Eastland) is at my French house, so I don't have an R reference book to hand. 

Wilson

According to his book:-

The name 'R4 MOT Electronic' was deleted and replaced with the simplified 'R4' following pressure from a German consumer association who complained the original name implied the camera was fitted with an integral motor drive and therefore was misleading to the public. The change came after approximately 25,000 units had been manufactured.

• Thanks 1