UV/IR cut on M10

hanexp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I am not sure where this should be posted, so please direct me if this inquiry should go elsewhere.

I have both M10 and M9 camera bodoes. I recently acquired a Leica UV/IR cut filter with a used lens purchase. From the research I've done it appears these were developed for the Leica M8 camera sensor which had problems with certain colors. My understanding is the UV/IR cut filters aren't necessary for M10 and M9, but may be helpful in some circumstances. My question is, are there any negative impacts if one uses (the UV/IR for front element protection on M9 and M10 cameras?

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong sub forum and for my lack search fu and thank you in advance for your advice.

Hello hanexp, as you found out the M8 had a very thin IR filter and these were needed in some circonstances but they are not anymore needed. Regarding negative impacts, for very wide lenses I think that I remember they could guide some colour issues in the corners. They reflect more light and I suspect that some réflexion I had in night pictures could be linked to their use. I steel use a UV/IR filter from my M8 times with my M10. It is placed on a Summicron 90mm, with this focal length no colour issues and as I use it for portraits I think (very subjective) that it helps to minimise some reddish colours in the faces some times.

I face problems with my M10 and artificial fibers, also in daylight.

This is an example with IR-contamination showing in the coat of my wife:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Using an UV/IR-cut filter the problem is gone:

• Like 2

Aperture 2 and Maarten,

Thanks for your helpful replies. Your comments tend to support my understanding. It appears the IR filter does no harm and is normally not needed but in some cases improves the color in the cases of some artificial fabrics. I can see no reason not to continue using it.

And thanks especially for posting the instructive images

Edited by hanexp