Considering Leica M-A/M-P, concerns about quality, needs help

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Really amazing Services !

I thought that "test roll" was ending decades ago !

I had those services from Leitz many times, in the past.

I can say again that the two MP  that I had didn't have any flaws to talk about.

I was lucky.

I do have to mention that it was me who asked this (about the test roll). I only later found out by reading the forums that this is actually something they used to do in the past. They should *always* do this as part of Quality Control in my opinion. I also asked for a report telling me exactly the work that they carry out on my camera and they gave me a very detailed report down to the very tools they used and exactly how they did each operation. I was very impressed! If this wouldn't have happened in such a professional way, I would've probably sold the exchange MP and got myself another camera. Because of this, I am willing to give the new MP a chance.

And she’s back....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

6 hours ago, 250swb said:

But Leica is not a volume manufacturer, there are no cameras on the shelf waiting for customers that could be instead used to replace a faulty camera. And while there are some who'd say Leica should quit the handmade bs and get a machine to do a better job the machine would see the end of Leica because the work could all be farmed out, the company relies on people actually making things.

I think you are living in another world to think that Leica aren't behaving responsibly towards their customers, many people here have been treated very well by Leica over the years and not just with repairs but servicing and bespoke work. But of course it's very difficult for any company to deal with the entitled 'I wanna' crowd, except here it's not a crowd, not even a gathering, or enough to make a foursome in a round of golf. But that's perspective for you.

I assure you that I live in this world, where you are “entitled” to get what you paid for. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, oldwino said:

I assure you that I live in this world, where you are “entitled” to get what you paid for. 

The faults described in this thread aren't design flaws like the current story about the shutters on Sony cameras, somebody just made a mistake when assembling a camera or a component failed. You have your consumer rights, but the Leica warranty says they will repair or replace where appropriate, and given Leica cameras can cost as much as a car it would be interesting to know if you'd expect to be entitled to a new car because of a minor fault? In other words it's somewhat different from sending a burger back to the chef and demanding your money back.

• Like 1

When i first got my MP black paint last year, the metering won’t turn on at all, replaced with the silver

after using some good weeks, i realised the alignment was missed vertically, so i asked my local repairman to do the fix, instead of sending back to leica, back and has been awesome to this date

recently i just got a new black paint mp, luckily this time no quirk

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, roelandinho said:

That’s disappointing. Have you been shooting at the beach recently? If not, it could be some internal edge (pressure plate perhaps) that has not been polished properly. Plenty other people had this complaint as well… 

That is a nice thought. I wish I was shooting at the beach :) 

22 hours ago, gabrielaszalos said:

Just wanted to update this thread to add that my new exchange MP not only has uneven frame spacing like most MPs (which Leica themselves say it is not normal), something I could live with, but it also scratches film. 

It’s time to stop torturing yourself and let the MP go.

I saw on another post you have an M3 and an M4 on the way. I hope you find some closure with the classics.

• Thanks 1