Jump to content

Double feathered arrows on the Leica 1A


Recommended Posts

  • 2 years later...
On 3/11/2020 at 7:57 AM, RichardLeica said:

Thanks Gary. The feathered arrows, according to the Einems, were only on cameras up to serial #s around 4800.

Late to this thread but thought I'd mention my Leica 1A, serial number 4497 - it has a feathered arrow on the rewind knob but not the advance, so perhaps they were already phasing them out by that time. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

your camera has been converted/upgraded 1930 or later. Originally it had mushroom shape release, no DOF ring and lower wind knob, with feather I assume.   All 3 modifications were popular at that time: modiyfing release mechanism eliminated the need to keep release pressed down during film rewind, DOF ring was very useful and new wind knob was higher and this gave better grip. Higher wind knobs were engraved with arrow only

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, jerzy said:

your camera has been converted/upgraded 1930 or later. Originally it had mushroom shape release, no DOF ring and lower wind knob, with feather I assume.   All 3 modifications were popular at that time: modiyfing release mechanism eliminated the need to keep release pressed down during film rewind, DOF ring was very useful and new wind knob was higher and this gave better grip. Higher wind knobs were engraved with arrow only

Ah that's very interesting, thanks a lot for the info

Edited by Thomasb42
Link to post
Share on other sites

having seen the of your camera in another thread 2 or 3 modifications may be added:
- conversion from IA to IC, questionable is when it was done and who has done it - lens flange seem to be chrom plated, which rather would point towards third party, not Leitz modification
- flash contact added - third party
- possibly Elmar converted from fix mounted to removable, early mount - 11 oclock, without infinity lock. Here I see inconsistency between early Elmar mount and chromed flange. This would possibly indicate that either lens flange was changed later from nickel plated to chrom plated or Elmar is not the one which was originally on the camera.
Does the lens flange on the camera  have "0" at 12 oclock?
 

Edited by jerzy
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jerzy said:

having seen the of your camera in another thread 2 or 3 modifications may be added:
- conversion from IA to IC, questionable is when it was done and who has done it - lens flange seem to be chrom plated, which rather would point towards third party, not Leitz modification
- flash contact added - third party
- possibly Elmar converted from fix mounted to removable, early mount - 11 oclock, without infinity lock. Here I see inconsistency between early Elmar mount and chromed flange. This would possibly indicate that either lens flange was changed later from nickel plated to chrom plated or Elmar is not the one which was originally on the camera.
Does the lens flange on the camera  have "0" at 12 oclock?
 

Thanks again, it's so interesting how so many early Leicas were updated/modified at some point. No '0' at the 12 o'clock position, a line on the side of the flange at the 9 o'clock position though. So around the time IAs were being converted to ICs all lens mounts and flanges were nickel plated? Also, do you have any idea what the hole drilled near the 1.75 mark on the lens is? Thanks!

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

why someone made a hole close to 1,7m is unknown to me, for sure not at Leitz. "0" at 12 oclock means that the camera has standard distance flange - film plane and allowed to une any Leica lens that has standartised mount (as well marked with "0", see examples below.  I do not see 0 on DOF, is there any other other number, apart  apertures, possibly "497" engraved on DOF? "0" markings were done until approx 1939 on lenses and flanges, disappeared with IIIc

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Marking at 9 oclock is fine. Yes, lens flange should have been nickeled, unless conversion was done after 1946

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jerzy said:

why someone made a hole close to 1,7m is unknown to me, for sure not at Leitz. "0" at 12 oclock means that the camera has standard distance flange - film plane and allowed to une any Leica lens that has standartised mount (as well marked with "0", see examples below.  I do not see 0 on DOF, is there any other other number, apart  apertures, possibly "497" engraved on DOF? "0" markings were done until approx 1939 on lenses and flanges, disappeared with IIIc

Marking at 9 oclock is fine. Yes, lens flange should have been nickeled, unless conversion was done after 1946

Hi - no, no numbers I could see - only this single '4' behind the focus knob. I suppose the conversion of my camera must have been after 1946

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Number behind the knob  means the real focal length of optics, 4 is 50,7mm.  In order to have perfect focusing along the whole distance range (1m till infinity) and to compensate small deviations in production optical elements were grouped depending on real focal length and various mounts have been produced with slightly different pitch. For Elmar, accros the whole production 8 various groups were used. Group 4 is rather rare, I found it only on lenses from 1931 and interesting was that the lenses had no serial number stamped on the black ring, but have serial number (8x xxx range) engraved inside, visible only after dissassembly. Most probably your lens falls as well into this category - do you see any 5 or 6 digit number (example on photo below) on your lens? Still a mystery is why there is no 0 on DOF, your lens could not have been converted after 1946, must have been earlier.
Do you live in EU? Would you mind sending the lens to me to Vienna for inspection? I would do as well CLA on it at no cost. If yes, contact me via PM 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...