Reasons switch to S3

Jan1985

I tell myself that for my needs the S3 would not give me much over the S007. I dont really need the resolution, I am fine with color and noise of the S007, without doubting the S3 can be a little better in this regards. So my strategy is to wait, see reviews, maybe check one out in the future, and maybe wait until a good used deal comes up in 1 or 2 years. If the S3 was priced like a x1dII I might jump on it faster.

• Like 4

vor einer Stunde schrieb rolleiflex2:

I was wondering, as now the Fuji GFX100 is supported by Capture One, if we have a chance to get support for the S3 in the future...

For me it's part of the answer to go for it...

I dont expect this to happen. C1 sees Leica S as a competitor for their medium format backs and therefore seems to think they rather not support Leica S.

IMO this will not lead to more sales of phase backs, but to less sales of C1-software license. Maybe they realize this one day and open c1 for Leica S again.

12 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

I dont expect this to happen. C1 sees Leica S as a competitor for their medium format backs and therefore seems to think they rather not support Leica S.

IMO this will not lead to more sales of phase backs, but to less sales of C1-software license. Maybe they realize this one day and open c1 for Leica S again.

C1 does support DNGs and just improved on those in v. 20.

5 hours ago, tom0511 said:

Phase One and Capture One are separate companies now.

It will be supported, in some literature on the S3 I saw tethering in C1 mentioned.

Yes,  and don't forget lens profiles in Lr.

For me personally, I know that C1 supposedly can squeeze some more resolution and - to taste - better colours out of a raw file, but the seemingly random creation of files and folders all over the place, I really don't like. It gives me the sense of not being in control of what's going on and so for me it's Adobe all the way with S files.

• Like 2

The other nice and significant improvement regards long exposure. We will now have a maximum of 8 minutes. This is great for me as I have become enamored of long exposures and will certainly help sway me...

However low light AF behavior is still key.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Aurora, Lofoten Islands at 2 minutes...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

On 3/8/2020 at 5:38 AM, peterv said:

Yes,  and don't forget lens profiles in Lr.

For me personally, I know that C1 supposedly can squeeze some more resolution and - to taste - better colours out of a raw file, but the seemingly random creation of files and folders all over the place, I really don't like. It gives me the sense of not being in control of what's going on and so for me it's Adobe all the way with S files.

I haven't experienced "files and folders all over the place." I usually import by sessions which is pretty straightforward and easy. I have a catalog that I initially set up through LR and it is a chore to wade through. 

This is not only about "squeezing some more resolution and better colours out of a raw file". The tethering experience is better in C1 than in Lightroom even though, finally, the Leica Tethered Plugin for LR seems to work the way it should. After being sceptical about C1 for many years, I finally learned to use it in the past year or so and like the workflow and the results. But I admit that the Sessions workflow works better for someone who does specific "shoots", e.g. for a client (or in my case a themed shoot with a specific model) than for the typical amateur user who keeps using his or her camera on a continuous, irregular basis, e.g. to capture images of family, during daily walks etc. The latter was my modus operandi for a long time and so I preferred LR where I organised images by months and years and used keywords and collections to retrieve them more quickly. When I started shooting with models some three years ago, the concept of Sessions suddenly made a lot of sense. I now use both C1 and LR, the former to process and store my "shoots" and LR generally to process and store the miscellaneous "as life has gone by" images. Since the S would normally be my camera of choice for the "shoots", having full C1 tethering and profiles would be a big nod toward the S3 for me. 

• Like 1