DIY convert M (or M10) to M-D (or M10D) ?

Mr.Prime

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I realized, after using an M3 since Christmas (my foray into the Leica world) that I would also like a digital version. Yesterday I lost an M-D on ebay, it went for US$4,100 and I had bid $4,000. Looking around there just aren’t any available for good prices. I was thinking about the possibility of getting an M 240 / 262 and converting it to an M-D myself by removing the screen and buttons and replacing the leather covering. Given falling prices on the M10 and stupid prices on the M10D that might be a better starting point but there likely isn’t much of a difference in the work required. No doubt there’s a bit more work involved than I’ve alluded to but I’m a fairly handy kind of guy (I design and build my own hi-fi electronics and speakers for example) and thought perhaps somebody else in a similar predicament to myself may have done something similar ???

Edited by Mr.Prime
typo

hey, as a Canadian I am embarrassed that I didn’t think of duct tape - we live by the stuff !

Covering up an M10 just brings it to the same body thickness as an M-D. Just need to add the film ISO dial on the back....

• Haha 1

Smarter with Black Paint or just cover the LCD with vulcanite (or something similar ) 😌

🤞

👇

Mr.Prime,

nice project, but this one is much more technical involved than hifi electronics or speakers.

with M240/262 how you will manage to convert it to M-D ?

Taking off the lcd is not so simple, even if done, how you would manage to link/iso setting which is at rear of M-D ?

Years ago, some had same project, but never realize it.

In your place, I'd buy M262 or M240 then use it as is like it never have LCD..

End of story.

Edited by a.noctilux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

41 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Smarter with Black Paint .....Years ago, some had same project, but never realize it.

In your place, I'd buy M262 or M240 then use it as is like it never have LCD..

End of story.

You are probably right. With prices falling on M10’s perhaps that makes a better entry point.