Do all M9 Original Sensors Fail?

roofus

11 hours ago, jaapv said:

That is not true, quite a few don't - but it is impossible to predict which...

I have been in that same camp, until it happened to me. It seems there is no clarity on the numbers either way, so owners and especially buyers should take the likelihood of sensor failure into consideration.

As an aside, the repair service is active again, mine is on the way back.

All the best to all, stay safe. 

18 hours ago, jaapv said:

No - because the replacement is still subsidized by Leica for about 50%. If you pay the full 2800 Euro cost they might, but I can imagine that they want to protect their stock of replacement sensors.

OK thanks for that info. I was unaware of the subsidy.

11 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Leica Miami (and perhaps some other reputable dealers) will not sell an M9 based camera (including Monochrom) without the new sensor. 

Jeff

Does it mean they are not taking for trade-in M9 sensor cameras without new sensor?

2 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Does it mean they are not taking for trade-in M9 sensor cameras without new sensor?

Presumably either that or Leica service is deemed appropriate.  I bought a used Monochrom from them that had just been returned from Wetzlar following sensor replacement and service.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/23/2020 at 9:04 PM, ianman said:

I'm not convinced anyone would pay extra for an M9 with the old sensor CLA or not.

A used M9 with the original sensor would be a very hard sell at almost any cost in a private sale.It would not make sense unless it was really cheap which would leave a budget to replace the sensor as and when it is required.If the buyer paid too much he would be left with a camera which would be uneconomic to repair, if or more likely when the sensor needs replacing.Better to buy one from a dealer which had the new sensor and with many dealers a 12 month warranty.

• 1 month later...

Which begs the question: What 100% guarentee do I have, that a replaced sensor (and the covering glass which was causing the source of the problem AFAIK) will not cause any problems in the future again? Was/ is the any official statement being made? Otherwise you have the risk of buying a „new“ serviced M9 and just after the dealer warranty has expired the corrosion is coming back on the new sensor...

I believe until now it is unclear if that might happen, because the replaced seonsors had not been long enough in the market to get a clear view about this, or?

There have been clear statements by Leica that the new sensor (covering) is corrosion-proof. Life has no guarantees, but I guess that the new sensor is as corrosion-proof as any other sensor you care to name.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, previlo said:

Which begs the question: What 100% guarentee do I have, that a replaced sensor (and the covering glass which was causing the source of the problem AFAIK) will not cause any problems in the future again? 

If the sensor was replaced before the new version was developed (around 10/2015 IIRC), then it will be susceptible to corrosion.

4 hours ago, previlo said:

Was/ is the any official statement being made? Otherwise you have the risk of buying a „new“ serviced M9 and just after the dealer warranty has expired the corrosion is coming back on the new sensor...

I believe until now it is unclear if that might happen, because the replaced seonsors had not been long enough in the market to get a clear view about this, or?

The only "official" statement I know about concerning the newly developed version of the sensor was when it became available. Since then there has been a lot of the usual internet myths and legends, reports verging on hysteria of corrosion on the new sensors... but so far, I have not heard of a single confirmed issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/29/2020 at 5:17 AM, roofus said:

I am thinking of selling my very lightly used M9. It has the original sensor. The sensor has never given me any problems and as a result I have never replaced it. 

I took some photos the other day and I could not see any flaws. 

What should I be looking for as trouble? Someone told me problems usually being in the top-left of the image.

Any advice or comments appreciated!

Could it be the original with the updated sensor? When did you buy it? contact Leica with your series number.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at a very nice condition M9 last year from a well known dealer here in the UK.  It did not have a replacement sensor (I asked the dealer to check) - they spoke to Leica who explained that not all sensors would fail.  It had something to do with batches/timing (I cannot recall exactly) - it did seem plausible at the time and the dealer was not trying to persuade me to buy - he understood why I would want a replaced sensor.  Others may have had a similar conversation with Leica and can reveal more.

Needless to say I bought a camera with a replaced sensor in the end.

James

• 2 weeks later...
unfortunately i have an M9 and replaced the first sensor 4 years ago and now the corrosion has appeared again. Leica's technical assistance informed me that the third generation is better, they charge me around 1500 euros for the exchange. If the company was transparent and had informed customers that there were problems with the sensors, I would never have bought this camera. Now I will leave the M9 as the most expensive decoration object in my living room and return to analog photography with my M7.

40 minutes ago, capelini61 said:
unfortunately i have an M9 and replaced the first sensor 4 years ago and now the corrosion has appeared again...

Might I suggest that as the new, non-corroding sensor was rolled-out 5 years ago you simply have a dirty sensor?

You're welcome.

Philip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:59 PM, pippy said:

Might I suggest that as the new, non-corroding sensor was rolled-out 5 years ago you simply have a dirty sensor?

You're welcome.

Philip.

The sensor is destroyed again without any doubt. In reality the problem with the sensors has not been solved and until that happens the company should be completely reposabilized by the exchange.

1 hour ago, capelini61 said:

In reality the problem with the sensors has not been solved

It has.... for almost 5 years.

I can understand your frustration but posting complete bollocks and posting said bollocks all over the forum will not help. See other threads for more detailed replies.

1 hour ago, capelini61 said:
The sensor is destroyed again without any doubt. In reality the problem with the sensors has not been solved and until that happens the company should be completely reposabilized by the exchange.

You are the first to claim failure of the latest iteration of sensor afaik(if it was changed four years ago). This is important - is it only your opinion that the sensor is 'destroyed' or have Leica examined it?

• Like 1