your M10M workflow

didier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all,

I am wondering how to optimize my workflow since I got the M10M.

Right now, I have a - not so satisfactory - workflow with my SL / CL : I download some pictures (JPG) via Leica Fotos to my iPad Pro to share the best shots quickly after quick tweaking, and then (sometimes a very looong time later) download the whole SD card content (DNG) to my iMac and process them through LR 6 (and Tonality CK for B&W). I like the results, but it is long and somewhat tiresome, all the more so LR is a bit slow on my Mac.

And work is done almost twice for the best pictures.

I find my processing is easier with the M10M, than my former M(240), as (my opinion after a short time using it) I get BW results I like quite quickly on LR, and even with Photos on the iPad.

So I am thinking about rationalising and getting complementary workflows with my Mac and my iPad, ie not doing things twice : downloading DNG pictures on the iPad and downloading the rest later through the computer, and join everything in the same catalogue. I could use a HDD/SSD with the iPad to copy the pictures : I don't really need/want to stock pictures on the cloud.

It seems the paying iPad Fotos app is designed for such things, and I am thinking about it as results with the M10M seem to be easier to get (though I find abnormal Leica dare to ask for a paying app...)

Has anybody tried the solution, and tell if he is satisfied with the results ? Or do you have another / better workflow ?

thanks for your inputs on your optimal workflow on your M10M !

Didier

It sounds like you are asking two questions: Why is this so slow and how do others process images? 

how many photos at a time are you downloading?

Are you using the cloud service Lightroom or the licensed download version?

As for optimal workflow, there is a digital post processing section in the forum. But, you will find that this is copmletely subjective. Some people refuse to do any editing at all. Others spend 20+ minutes per image and there is a lot in between. Can you share an image that you love the editing?  

You can try the "auto button" and then tweak as desired. This is the easiest method if you don't have your own inspiration for editing or if you are not confident in yourself with LR.

Wow, you're jumping through some hoops!  I love my iPad Pro as a consumption device, but its lack of any kind of robust file handling makes it a poor choice as the central act in any kind of regular post-processing workflow, IMHO.

My workflow is... 

1. Remove SD card from camera and download all files to computer.  They all go into an appropriately-named folder, e.g. "2020 Feb 28 - Tyler Wedding."  All that happens at an operating system level.

2. Fire up Capture One Pro 20, create a new session with an appropriate name (typically, the same name as the folder I just dumped all the DNG files in).  Import files.

3.  Within C1, make initial selects.  

4.  Within C1, edit initial selects.

5. Within C1, make final selects.

6. Within C1, output any final selects destined for print or other media.

Using the Fotos app to send jpeg images to an iPad would be helpful, IMO, if you had a client or art director you wanted to share what you're getting, as the shoot progressed.  But it's much too slow and fidgety for mainstream post-processing.

Edited by Jager
  • Like 1

It sounds like you’re the sort of user that Adobe’s cloud service is for. I use it a lot for almost exactly the same ends as yourself.

I take my shots, pop the SD card into a reader plugged into the iPad (much quicker than Leica Fotos). On the iPad I open Lightroom, import from the card into my Import folder. There I star anything that I want to to immediately look at, process and export. When I get back home the RAWs are available directly in Lightroom on my desktop, including any changes I made on the iPad. People can criticize Adob’s business model etc all they want, but they maintain a service  that just does what I need it to do and does it well.

Edited by convexferret
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, convexferret said:

When I get back home the RAWs are available directly in Lightroom on my desktop, including any changes I made on the iPad.

That would only work if you use LR CC on your desktop, not the classic version, right ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/29/2020 at 2:49 AM, dkmoore said:

It sounds like you are asking two questions: Why is this so slow and how do others process images? 

how many photos at a time are you downloading?

Are you using the cloud service Lightroom or the licensed download version?

As for optimal workflow, there is a digital post processing section in the forum. But, you will find that this is copmletely subjective. Some people refuse to do any editing at all. Others spend 20+ minutes per image and there is a lot in between. Can you share an image that you love the editing?  

You can try the "auto button" and then tweak as desired. This is the easiest method if you don't have your own inspiration for editing or if you are not confident in yourself with LR.

I edit my pictures much less with the M10M : at most the "auto button" + some small adjustements. This is why I see a possibility to do a bigger part of my editing throught the iPad, and hence the idea to sync iPad and desktop !

8 hours ago, convexferret said:

You can sync with the classic version too

I also use the classic version on my desktop.

Is there a possibility to sync, lett's say on a dropbox or another cloud system, and use Adobe LR on the iPad without another subscription ?

thanks for your input !

Didier

2 hours ago, didier said:

I edit my pictures much less with the M10M : at most the "auto button" + some small adjustements. This is why I see a possibility to do a bigger part of my editing throught the iPad, and hence the idea to sync iPad and desktop !

I also use the classic version on my desktop.

Is there a possibility to sync, lett's say on a dropbox or another cloud system, and use Adobe LR on the iPad without another subscription ?

thanks for your input !

Didier

Using the Adobe tools? Not easily. 

The only other simple option that occurs to me is to load your photos into Apple Photos on the iPad. Use those tools to make quick versions and then import into Lightroom on your desktop from Apple Photos after it has synced. If you don’t use that much of the power of Lightroom you might find that Apple Photos plus one of the editors that works with it such as Raw Power or Pixelmator Photo might do the job. You’d still need one of the larger Apple subscriptions though for the cloud space you’d need. You might already have that though.

I use the pc version of lightroom from the substription Adobe suite.

I have added a small preset to lightroom for use during import of raw files.

The preset forces: a) Lens recognision and b) Curves with a light S shape.

The pictures obviously require further work in post processing, but they do get a decent look with the preset.

Actually, I use the same preset for both the M10 and the M10M as it seems that lightroom for some reason has stopped to do the lens recognision by itself.

1 hour ago, Jan Jurgensen said:

I use the pc version of lightroom from the substription Adobe suite.

I have added a small preset to lightroom for use during import of raw files.

The preset forces: a) Lens recognision and b) Curves with a light S shape.

The pictures obviously require further work in post processing, but they do get a decent look with the preset.

Actually, I use the same preset for both the M10 and the M10M as it seems that lightroom for some reason has stopped to do the lens recognision by itself.

This means that you are overriding M10M default settings in LR (special S curve, noise reduction & sharpening, lens correction automatically applied as well) that was introduced with the latest LR update. Have you confirmed that your preset is better for you than the default preset from LR/Leica? I assume that one should have different presets for M10 and M10M.