23 Summicron Image quality

Having used it exclusively for a year I can say the 23TL is a great all-rounder of a lens. I’ve used it for landscapes, taken it on trips abroad, out onto the streets of London many times and photographed priceless family gatherings and it hasn’t let me down.

* Actually one annoyance is that if you want to focus close, the minimum aperture goes up to f/2.8

Edited by ruskkyle

Equal to my Summilux Canada 35 in central apertures slightly better at f2. The whole thing about the aperture change is don't worry about it unless you are below 24 inches, that is where the aperture starts changing, the the aperture is 2.218-24 inches and 2.8 blow 18 inches, the lens will focus to 12 inches.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stephengv said:

I’m considering getting the 23mm to go with my TL. 

is this lens worth it? How does it perform? I’m use to my 35 summicron asph with my M 240, how does the 23 TL with the CL compares? Thanks

your 35 summicron with M-L adapter would be more fun to shoot

Edited by frame-it

1 hour ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Equal to my Summilux Canada 35 in central apertures slightly better at f2. The whole thing about the aperture change is don't worry about it unless you are below 24 inches, that is where the aperture starts changing, the the aperture is 2.218-24 inches and 2.8 blow 18 inches, the lens will focus to 12 inches.

How close is 24inches for portrait in terms of 35mm effective focal length? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stephengv said:

How close is 24inches for portrait in terms of 35mm effective focal length? 

It is a full head shot with a large amount of WA distortion, big nose etc. My wife was not going to allow me to post it. If you want full head shots use something over 50mm. If you are worried that you won't get f2 DOF remember the closer you are the less DOF you get. A teacher once told me DOF is dependent on magnification, have never heard it explained that way before or since. But make sense if you have 1:1 with any two lenses say a 60mm or 100mm, the DOF will be the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

It is a full head shot with a large amount of WA distortion, big nose etc. My wife was not going to allow me to post it. If you want full head shots use something over 50mm. If you are worried that you won't get f2 DOF remember the closer you are the less DOF you get. A teacher once told me DOF is dependent on magnification, have never heard it explained that way before or since. But make sense if you have 1:1 with any two lenses say a 60mm or 100mm, the DOF will be the same.

Thank you, I don’t shoot full head shot with a 35. Thank you for making this clear. 

6 hours ago, stephengv said:

Yes it was fun. But I keep it with the M most of the time. I use the CL for the autofocus

I have the Summicron-M 35 f2 ASPH, which I used on my SL. It's a wonderful lens, but in all honesty, I can't say that it is any better than the Summicron-TL 23 f2 on my CL.  Different but not better. Also, though my manual focus skills are well above average, I really enjoy the AF on the CL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robgo2 said:

I have the Summicron-M 35 f2 ASPH, which I used on my SL. It's a wonderful lens, but in all honesty, I can't say that it is any better than the Summicron-TL 23 f2 on my CL.  Different but not better. Also, though my manual focus skills are well above average, I really enjoy the AF on the CL.

that is good to hear for someone who depends very heavily on the af and wonders how the tl 23mm compares to the 35mm. /guy

6 hours ago, robgo2 said:

Thats a very bold statement. Thank you