cl: really really stupid strap question. really.

gteague

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

Why can't you fold the ring down swivelling  in the strap lug opening?

i think the split rings are too large for the lug openings and are binding. you could try smaller rings, but i think you'd have to cut off the leather tabs. in any case, i'm giving it up as a bad deal and moving on.

/guy

What make of strap is this?  It looks like Artisan & Artist.  I have been using Artisan & Artist silk straps on each of my three M cameras and on my CL.  No problems at all.  In fact I think these are the best straps I have ever owned.  I can't understand how you would be having problems.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Peter Wright said:

What make of strap is this?  It looks like Artisan & Artist.  I have been using Artisan & Artist silk straps on each of my three M cameras and on my CL.  No problems at all.  In fact I think these are the best straps I have ever owned.  I can't understand how you would be having problems.

ha! i went back to the amazon page to get you the brand and model which is 'Vi Vante Cliffhanger Rope Camera Strap' and i noted it has a 4-star rating with 10 reviews. for some reason i scrolled down to read the reviews (which i obviously should have done before i bought it, i see) and the very first one says:

"I like the rope strap but I didn’t like the little extensions that go in between the loop that holds the strap to the camera and the camera body. They caused the strap to alway stick up and are really uncomfortable pressing the shutter or making adjustments on the camera with my right hand. This my be unique to my hand/camera(Fujifilm xt20) or the way I use it. . I just cut those little leather parts off and now it’s great. It feels higher quality than my other similar strap."

ironic, eh? :)

/guy

Edited by gteague

I bought a similarly designed strap, although a different brand and mine is black.  When I first installed it, the leather tabs stuck up and were quite annoying so I just flexed the leather for a while and they eventually softened up and are now much less annoying.  My only complaint about the rope strap is that the length is not adjustable.  

• Like 1

I had that exact ViVante strap.  Indeed, the split rings are a bit too large to have any movement.  What I actually ended up doing was folding it down and it acted somewhat as an extended grip.  I didn't want to have to feel like I had to "make do" with it so I ended up getting rid of it.  I would take a look at Artisan & Artist rope straps.  Their split ring setup is much more compact, and with their smaller split rings, they move more freely and you can hold the camera more naturally.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i know this is an ancient thread, but in the meantime i've still been looking for an ideal strap for the cl. my peak sling lite strap works fine but sometimes gets in the way especially when turning the camera to portrait mode. i've always like the idea of the rope strap so when b&h put the hoodman one on their daily sale i got one. and it's an order-of-magnitude better than the vivante strap. the main difference is that the rings turn easily and are larger. but mainly the leather is extremely supple, not stiff and you can hold the camera at literally any angle without binding. it's too short to carry sling style which is why i originally opted for the vivant which was quite a bit longer so we'll see how that goes. unlike my other cameras, the cl is so small and light i might get away with carrying it 'normally'. after all, i'm walking, not running. :) 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1422998-REG/hoodman_hcns5r_camera_neck_strap_red.html?sts=pi&pim=Y

/guy

I find using the cord anchors improved camera handling significantly. The O rings just get in the way all the time with the other straps.  Too bad you can’t replace the O rings with a cord anchor on your new strap.  Someone should invent a product for that...