M9M sensor corrosion?

Parolibre

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear fellow leica forum members,

I have been noticing some spots when taking landscape pictures in small aperture with M9M, thus decided to shot this picture of my white wall with the aperture F16... Are those white dots by any chance sensor corrosion? I do realise there are numerous posts on this topic, but I just wanted to know for sure. Thanks in advance! 

(Picture attached below) 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yes, they look like corrosion. I would not be too eager to have the sensor replaced at this stage, given that they are easily handled in postprocessing, but keep in mind that you will need an expensive sensor replacement if the trouble spreads.

56 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes, they look like corrosion. I would not be too eager to have the sensor replaced at this stage, given that they are easily handled in postprocessing, but keep in mind that you will need an expensive sensor replacement if the trouble spreads.

22 minutes ago, ianman said:

I would say yes, without a doubt those are signs of corrosion. They look exactly like on my corroded sensor.

I'm not sure about the "if" the trouble spreads. AFAIK it will spread. I could be wrong about that though and hopefully I am!

You're not wrong Ian, it will spread. Ask me how I know.....

My Monochrom has just come back from Germany after its 2nd sensor replacement, which I had to pay for. Just be aware that if you're not in the US or EU, the costs are not just limited to the sensor replacement of €1, 302-  

As Jaap says, it is expensive!  In my case there was the cost of shipping from SA to Germany= €245-.  Then on the return there's duty/VAT to pay as Leica reflects a value on the shipping docs. of  €2, 132-52 (see below). I asked that they rather state: "No Commercial Value- repair" and reflect a nominal value of €1, 000- which by the way was what Leica asked me to show on my shipping docs. to Germany, so that they would pay minimum import duties. Pity Leica didn't return the courtesy to me 😡. That cost me another €385- in duties.  

All in all this little joke cost me just under €2, 000- for something that's not the customer's fault, it's outrageous, 

And then of course there's the issue of being jerked around for 10 days by UPS & Customs, as I had to wait for a serial number inspection, for them to ensure that I wasn't importing a different camera.  

Just as I had calmed down and come to terms with paying for the sensor,  all of this managed to wind me up again.

I have to repeat the exercise with my M9 which also needs a 2nd sensor replacement. I'll probably wait until I'm back in France in the summer and get it done then.

Leica did replace the sensor in 48 hours and ship in the same week, but that was 2 weeks ago. I'll hopefully collect the camera from UPS tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow, that is terrible!!!

But why do you have to pay duty on something that is yours and that you "exported" for repair? I suppose you tried this but can't you present the export document to the customs to show them that the camera is yours and that any duty has already been paid?

As to the VAT... it's incredible that they want you to pay VAT on the full declared value of the camera. Surely, if you have to pay VAT, it should be calculated on the cost of the repairs, not the full value!

On the other hand, here I have to pay duty and VAT on the value of the goods AND the shipping!!

I think you've got it right in your sig :(

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ianman said:

Wow, that is terrible!!!

But why do you have to pay duty on something that is yours and that you "exported" for repair? I suppose you tried this but can't you present the export document to the customs to show them that the camera is yours and that any duty has already been paid?

As to the VAT... it's incredible that they want you to pay VAT on the full declared value of the camera. Surely, if you have to pay VAT, it should be calculated on the cost of the repairs, not the full value!

On the other hand, here I have to pay duty and VAT on the value of the goods AND the shipping!!

I think you've got it right in your sig :(

Thanks Ian. Yes I had all the docs. showing that the camera was mine & exported from SA for repair. However as soon as there's an invoice which reflects a value, you've had it!  Customs bases their duties on the value reflected on the invoice from Leica which accompanied the shipment.

This is where I'm pissed off with Leica, they asked me to ship the camera to Germany with an invoice reflecting a nominal value of €1, 000- , yet they return the camera to me with an invoice showing a higher value of +€2, 000-  go figure.

Anyway lesson learnt. Besides my rant, I do hope this info. will be helpful to others in avoiding this kind of mess and added expense. 

Best,

Mike

Edited by michali
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I finally managed to retrieve my camera from UPS this morning. While it was in for sensor replacement, Leica offered an option of a leather covering or engraving. I self indulged and opted for the custom engraving.

Edited by michali
  • Like 2