Used M-P TYP 240 or M 262?

Some more "features" differences :

- M-P has frame lines lever selection, not on M262

- Red Dot logo on M262, big screw on M-P

- Nice "end cut out", for me esthetically balanced on M262, flat top on M-P

- if weighting about 100g less can count = for me depending on which lens is used,

heavy lens ( as  Noctilux, Summilux) balancing is better on heavier M-P,  light lens is more suitable on M262

Anyway, each one can give nice results in photos, I think this is the most important at the end.

The lens frame lines are automatically selected by the M 262.

😉

As all long time users know the trick ,

since I have the first batch of M3 without 'lever', I tried with succes the trick :

first push on the lens release button (when the 50mm lens is mounted ),

turn with care the lens mounted, slowly, one side is the 90mm (new M = 28/90 frames ), turning the other side shows 135mm ( 35/135 frames on modern M 262 )

Have fun with the M262 ...

I forgot to write that the LED illuminated time-out of M 262 can make a bit trickier "my trick" above.

Edited by a.noctilux

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The good news is there is no wrong choice here. Think about your shooting style and what features matters and which do not. I just bought a M (tip 262) and am getting used to it. I like it a lot, so far, and am happy overall. While there are some options I miss (frame line selection being one) they are not a deal killer.

I got over the nonsense of "the perfect camera" 25 years ago.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, UltraDan said:

I've never used liveview on any camera I've ever owned, could somebody educate me as to why you'd use this feature? 

thanks

Dan 

Leica M240 became the first M with LV + video, Leica offered the EVF to go with M240 to enhance the usability.

With exotic ( for Leica M use ) lenses or accessories like SLR lenses with adapter to M mount or whatever which can be mounted with adapter.

As LV images show the sensor captured images, it's kind of WYSIWYG usable also with WA like 18/15/Wate lenses for precise framing.

Macro mode is reachable easier than with traditional M systems.

Only one's imagination is limiting factor 😇.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 9:53 AM, a.wittgenstein said:

Hi Guys,

I just want to ask you... It is better an used M-P TYP 240 or a M 262?
(with M-P typ 240 10% cheaper and both in very good condition, less than 1000 shutter releases).

Thanks for helping me

I do not know which one you bought, but I would say the most important differences for me is:

M 262 pros: Looks better (even if taste is always up for debate, and people argue about it in the Leica community, I personally prefer the "stepped down" left side on the camera top)

M-P 240 pros:  Better camera in practical use; with 2GB buffer (instead of half on 262) and, when you need, the possibility for LV (I would not buy a camera without LV, even if I mainly use an M camera with RF-focusing in the OVF)