Panasonic vs. Leica lens color rendition

Jay B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,
I am planning on completing my SL Summicron kit with the 28 & 21, but neither of those looks to be available by April.
I need something to cover that range during an upcoming trip.
I like the idea of the Panasonic 16-35, but I am a days travel away from any dealer that would have one available to shoot samples with.

My main question is what color differences are there between the Panasonic and Leica SL lenses when viewing images?
Close enough for a reasonable match?
Can you tell the difference between the lenses color rendition when looking on the monitor during post?

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Jay B
Clairity

I'd suggest the Leica SL 16-35mm. I use this lens a lot for interior design photography and it's the best wide I ever used. Even up against the primes. It depends on what you photograph though, I don't need the wider aperture for what I do. Optically this lens is wonderful. 

4 minutes ago, caissa said:

I would rather use the SL 16-35, or simply rent it if it is too expensive to buy.

Expense is not a factor. Weight, size, not wanting to keep a zoom; all that rules the SL 16-35 out for me.

Anybody have an answer to the color rendition question?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have done side by side comparison between the Pana 24-105 vs the Leica SL lenses, and found a slight color difference if you look at same subject shot with both lenses.

However I did mix images from Pana 24-105/70-200/SL1635 and SL50/75mm during vacation trip and I dont think I could tell you which image was shot with which brand lens without looking in exif.

I am however extremly happy with the 16-35 Leica. So saturated and clear images. Also if I look at comparison images between 50 Pana and 50 Leica SL I find the Leica images to have a little more 3-d look.

• Thanks 1

I think with modern lenses in this sort of price and quality bracket the colour rendition will be almost identical...... or at least the difference too small to notice.

There may be differences in contrast and hence perceived saturation ..... but again OOC JPG and default processed RAW should be very similar. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2020 at 5:59 AM, tom0511 said:

I have done side by side comparison between the Pana 24-105 vs the Leica SL lenses, and found a slight color difference if you look at same subject shot with both lenses.

However I did mix images from Pana 24-105/70-200/SL1635 and SL50/75mm during vacation trip and I dont think I could tell you which image was shot with which brand lens without looking in exif.

I'd concur.

I'll put it this way, I own the SL-35mm, I own the Pano. The Lumix, at least my copy, is a very, very good lens and outside of narrow DoF scenarios it can all too often be confused with the output from the prime. There is a level of subtlety that it occasionally lacks in direct comparison, it is a bitingly sharp across the frame, but to be honest at normal viewing levels after a few tweaks in post, I have generally have to go back to look at the exif to know which was which.  I too await the next round of wide Summicrons, but I don't think they will ever fully displace the Lumix. Its portability, performance and added versatility given its width beyond 21mm make it a keeper, AFAIC. I'd wager the SVE is a tick or three more satisfying, but the tradeoff is cost and weight. 

• Thanks 1

This is a very good question and if the answer is that the Panasonic lenses render color equally to the Leica L lenses, that will be very convenient, but perhaps not likely?  In the case of Leica M rangefinder lenses verses Japanese made Zeiss primes on an M10, Zeiss will be obviously more contrasty and saturated; shadows go black.  However, the beauty of Leica M glass has to do with the presence of micro-contrast and subtle gradations in color and contrast. With Leica M glass, you see any the subtle hues that the Zeiss won't show as well. SO in the case of Leica verses Panasonic L lenses and color, I wonder what the true comparison will show?

I would gues it depends.

Even different Leica M 50mm lenses draw very different. The 50/1.4asph warmer color than the 50 M APO for example. I think (I  own 2 Zeiss M lens) that overall Zeiss M lenses render a little cooler overall.

I feel the Leica SL lenses are very consistent. (I have not used the 90 APO but all others). So if you want Leica color/3d look, micro contrast and most consistent image look this is probably the safest (and most expensive) way. But sometimes I find the 90-280 too big and the Pana 70-200/4.0 helps, or I want a lighter zoom during vacation so I dont hesistate to use the 24-105, and I also consider to add a 135 mm Sigma lens.

• 2 years later...

I tested side by side the Leica SL and Pana 16-35 with a SL2. I sent back the Leica. The Pana was even better. I would love to keep the Leica but in the corners (3 of 4) the Pana was sharper. The rest of the image the quality and color was the same!

Edited by cosmiq
  • Like 4

With my limited experience, I'd say they're not that close without editing. My Leica lens's are APO and the only Panasonic lens I have is the 70-300 and you can tell right away. Not that the Panasonic is bad... just different. The 70-300 is uber sharp. I'd say the Sigma's I have are closer color wise, but after shooting all 3 brands, for a while now, I can see differences.

i have the leica sl 35mm apo and the  pana 24mm f1.8, used both on a sl2s. And yes the 35mm is sharper, and all that, but when mixing images is very hard to tell which one is from which lens...

These posts have images shot with both lenses...and unless you look at the exif or look very closely pretty sure you wont notice the difference.

Siret, Romania – Ukraine border, (March 2022) – AI's Photography Blog (wordpress.com)

Pastele Cailor 2022 – AI's Photography Blog (wordpress.com)

StopWar – Bucharest 26th of February 2022 – AI's Photography Blog (wordpress.com)

I have other links with only the pana...

Recent Images – AI's Photography Blog (wordpress.com)

And this is m10 + sl2s with the pana...

New Year’s Traditions – Tudora 2021 – AI's Photography Blog (wordpress.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Malabito said:

i have the leica sl 35mm apo and the  pana 24mm f1.8, used both on a sl2s. And yes the 35mm is sharper, and all that, but when mixing images is very hard to tell which one is from which lens...

These posts have images shot with both lenses...and unless you look at the exif or look very closely pretty sure you wont notice the difference.

Siret, Romania – Ukraine border, (March 2022) – AI's Photography Blog (wordpress.com)

Pastele Cailor 2022 – AI's Photography Blog (wordpress.com)

StopWar – Bucharest 26th of February 2022 – AI's Photography Blog (wordpress.com)

I have other links with only the pana...

Recent Images – AI's Photography Blog (wordpress.com)

And this is m10 + sl2s with the pana...

New Year’s Traditions – Tudora 2021 – AI's Photography Blog (wordpress.com)

Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

How does Pana 24mm f1.8 stacks up against Sigmas counterparts; 24mm DG DN f2.0 and/or f3.5?

Just go buy it, you won't regret it. After buying my copy, I sold my Trip-Elmar, because the Pans 16-35mm was much better. I have both the SL and the Pans 16-35's, and I reach for the Pana when I want a lighter weight kit.

Edited by Planetwide
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:24 AM, dredol said:

thanks  for sharing the pictures. Great work. Just out of curiosity: the third picture is with the SL 35 mm, is it? :)

thanks! yes that was taken with the apo :) all pictures have the exif if you have one of those browser extensions, you can see the exif :) I am using edge with an extension called Exif Viewer Classic.