Leica Q2 user profiles. Examples?

IKD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

Right now I'm changing my settings depending on what I'm trying to shoot and the situation, but thought it could be a good idea to use the user profiles to have be able to switch settings to a certain situation easier.

How are you using user profiles on the Q/Q2?

It would be great with some input or maybe even examples on what you are using the different profiles for and how you've set them up.

Since it's completely up to the user there are many different ways to set them up.  I use profiles: b&w, scenic, portrait and people.  Each one with different settings for metering and focus, such as spot, area or face detection. Also each is set to save a DNG and a JPEG, of course the b&w will have a b&w jpeg and show it that way in the EVF.  The fun part is that you'll be tweaking the settings regardless of which profile you're using. Just remember that if you like what you've set that you need to save it to that profile so you can recall it later.  They tend to evolve with use to fit your particular shooting style. 

• Like 2

I used User Profiles when shooting underwater as there some functions can't be accessed thru the housing.
On my D800 i had also a basic profile i could load to make sure that camera was not in UW profile.

On the Q and then Q2 i did not feel the need to do that, but i may should as it's a handy feature to switch the camera quick in a different mode.

Chris

I utilize the profiles and really like the feature. 

The idea of a profile, for me, is a starting point that I'm familiar with that is easy to make changes from that fit the situation (as opposed to creating a profile for a specific situation). I've also found it very useful for handing the camera to someone else to shoot with. The profile is a general-approach profile that should be able to get the shot in any situation. 

My user profile is by default:

• Auto ISO (limited to 6400)
  • Mult-ifield metering
  • Face Detect Auto-focus (after V2.0 firmware, it now defaults to field focus -- which is great!)
  • Auto White Balance
  • Back button set up for exposure lock
  • DNG-only
  • FN button set to ISO (no other options, I don't use it for anything else)
  • thumb wheel button set to self timer (with only other option being grey card)
  • Favorites Menu: 
    • Focus assist
    • auto ISO settings
    • Leica FOTOS
    • Format Card

I find that from here, it's easy to make changes depending on situation (for me, anyway), and my favorites menu has been greatly reduced after the addition of the quick menu with the firmware update. 

Given all of the above settings, I have 4 different profiles. All settings being equal, the variations are as follows:

• Color w/35mm Crop
  • Color w/o 35mm Crop (shooting the full 28mm field of view)
  • Black & White w/ 35mm Crop
  • Black & White w/o 35mm Crop

I don't ever change my crop to 50 or 75, and like to utilize the back button for exposure lock. It's quicker to just change the profile from the quick menu than to go into the menu and change the crop. I also don't save a jpeg when shooting in B&W because the images show up in b&w on the LCD screen despite only the DNG actually being recorded to the card. 

I hope this helps!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use what I call my Standard profile (various settings that make sense to my style of shooting, won’t bore you with those!), then Simplified (fewer option for the two configurable buttons), High Speed, Portrait, Low Light and Monochrome - all pretty self explanatory in terms of settings methinks!

• 11 months later...

So far I have managed to rename and save as a profile all the memory slots but having trouble finding a way of inserting my setting to each profile, i.e.F stop, iso etc. cant find it in the manual. would appreciate any advice please. Thanks in antic.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:15 AM, leicameech said:

I utilize the profiles and really like the feature. 

The idea of a profile, for me, is a starting point that I'm familiar with that is easy to make changes from that fit the situation (as opposed to creating a profile for a specific situation). I've also found it very useful for handing the camera to someone else to shoot with. The profile is a general-approach profile that should be able to get the shot in any situation. 

My user profile is by default:

• Auto ISO (limited to 6400)
  • Mult-ifield metering
  • Face Detect Auto-focus (after V2.0 firmware, it now defaults to field focus -- which is great!)
  • Auto White Balance
  • Back button set up for exposure lock
  • DNG-only
  • FN button set to ISO (no other options, I don't use it for anything else)
  • thumb wheel button set to self timer (with only other option being grey card)
  • Favorites Menu: 
    • Focus assist
    • auto ISO settings
    • Leica FOTOS
    • Format Card

I find that from here, it's easy to make changes depending on situation (for me, anyway), and my favorites menu has been greatly reduced after the addition of the quick menu with the firmware update. 

Given all of the above settings, I have 4 different profiles. All settings being equal, the variations are as follows:

• Color w/35mm Crop
  • Color w/o 35mm Crop (shooting the full 28mm field of view)
  • Black & White w/ 35mm Crop
  • Black & White w/o 35mm Crop

nI don't ever change my crop to 50 or 75, and like to utilize the back button for exposure lock. It's quicker to just change the profile from the quick menu than to go into the menu and change the crop. I also don't save a jpeg when shooting in B&W because the images show up in b&w on the LCD screen despite only the DNG actually being recorded to the card. 

I hope this helps!

I see what you are saying about the AEL functionality of the back button. I do the same. However, you can "send" the digital zoom function to the Fn button if you need / like to have one button access to the 35 mm crop. 

18 hours ago, Kiku said:

So far I have managed to rename and save as a profile all the memory slots but having trouble finding a way of inserting my setting to each profile, i.e.F stop, iso etc. cant find it in the manual. would appreciate any advice please. Thanks in antic.

Not sure I understand your issue. Choose a bunch of settings and after you are done, assign this bunch of settings to one of the profiles. You can then rename it to something that is meaningful to you.