Highly technical strap questions!

Chazphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/29/2020 at 2:34 PM, LeicaS2 said:

This was a thread I should have skipped. I was perfectly happy with my current over the shoulder peak design strap.

Then  I read here about Harry Benz. I confess I had never heard of Harry Benz before. It will take me eight weeks to see if it’s as great as it seems. I like releasing my camera from aa over the shoulder strap and their J Loop version is made for it. I also like retaining a hand strap and they have a version that allows for it to combine  beautifully with the j loop. Got to their website carefully.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I just got my second Harry Benz strap yesterday!  I got an Urushi and it now sits proudly on my M10-P.  I am keeping my B until my MP ever arrives!  You may experience a delay, as I saw yesterday that he has been affected by the lock down in Canada and cannot get to his studio at present :( 

A message from Harry:

Hi Jack,

Indeed, due to the Covid-19 pandemic Toronto is on lock down. 
I have currently no access to my studio. The building where it is located has been closed down following the imposed non-essential business closure laws by Ontario’s gov’t. 
(And camera straps/leather goods are unfortunately not an essential business.)
I am very sorry but there’s nothing I can do at the moment. 
Once this is over I will work day and night to get orders done as fast as possible. 

Stay home. Be safe. 

Best wishes,
Harry

PS: Please give my apologies to people on the LUF. I hate asking this but please tell them also not to stop placing orders. Small businesses like mine depend on it to get through this. 
Thank you. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 4:04 PM, dickgillberg said:

Someone else who prefers a DIY approach.  Leather strapping from Ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/127cm-LONG-OIL-TANNED-BLACK-3-8mm-THICK-REAL-LEATHER-STRAP-VARIOUS-WIDTH-CowHide/201205719280?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=500400472351&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649) + the trick of using shrinking tubing to cover the ring.  Hand stiched using saddler's thread.  I cut the strap to allow cross body carrying and it squishes down nicely.  Total cost under £5 per strap 🙂

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a leather strap of fixed length, about 125cm long, for my M10. Normally I wear the camera with the strap across the body, and esp when it's under a coat or jacket, I want the strap to cooperate when I grab the camera and bring it up for a rapid shot. The leather straps I've had don't slide easily, and that's a problem. Currently I use an Artist & Artisan Easy Slider, but since I don't want to adjust the length, the mechanism for doing that just gets in the way. Are there any leather straps smooth enough on the underside to slip easily as needed? How about the Rock & Roll Napa?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find this forum great for help and solving problems.  As I prefer to carry my camera with the strap across my chest I found that the supplied Leica strap was just a  little too short. I've followed threads, reviewed websites and listened to retailer advice and considered a lot of the straps recommended here.  In the end I decided to go for Leica's own 18575 strap, which at around £70 is good value for a quality strap which is adjustable in length through the simple slots and has conventional split rings which are more secure than the supplied rings and includes leather pads protect the body.   As its new it is a little stiff, but no doubt it will become supple in due course.   

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm late to this particular party but figured I'd add...

When I picked up my used M10 on Ebay a while back, the seller included one of those rope-type straps.  (Who thought that was a good idea for a camera strap?  Why?).  Since I was returning to Leica after a 15 year absence, I decided to buy the 18575 Leica leather strap because I thought, "Hey, I should have a classy leather strap to celebrate my return to Leica."  Sadly, I didn't care for the stiffness/general feel and removed it after two weeks.  I replaced it with, for the first time in my photog life - which is much longer than I care to mention, a wrist strap from Harry Benz.  Nice quality strap!  Quickly discovered (2 days) that a dedicated camera wrist strap and I can't work together if I'm going to change lenses.  SO...I bought the good old $45 nylon/rubber Leica strap, installed that, and I'm a happy guy!

For folks that are more sure-of-hand, a wrist strap is probably great and no issue for changing lenses.   But I like the security of the camera hanging around my neck/having both hands free when lens-changing.  Also, the Leica nylon strap, which I had on my M6 and M7, is very easily wrapped around to form a "wrist strap" which is what I have always frequently done when out shooting anyway with every brand of camera I have ever used. For me the Leica leather strap was too stiff and uncomfortable to used as a 'wrist strap'.  I suppose, given enough time, it may become sufficiently supple but frankly I'm too impatient to deal with the wait!  :)

Edited by Mikep996

• 1 month later...

I discovered via Instagram that Harry Benz is back at work. He moved his equipment to his home in case there is another lock down.

I posted a picture of work in progress and I thought I saw my J-loop on his work table.  Then yesterday I got a shipping notice and saw my J-loop in another instagram photo.

The j-Loop is an over the shoulder strap that hooks onto just one of the camera lugs with a release clip. When I arrives  will report if I ordered the right length, as lengths are custom made.

Thank you Harry!

My Harry Benz J-Loop arrived today. Thankfully, it is just the right length so I measured correctly.

As previously mentioned, the J-Loop is an over the shoulder strap that attaches to a Harry Benz wrist-strap.

So for shooters who like a simple hand strap while shooting, but want an over the shoulder strap when you need both hands free, the combo is a creative solution.

I chose the red edge on the shoulder strap instead of his available Mono Strap for my mono camera because I wanted the strap to stand out. The wrist-strap is all black to match the all black camera when in use.  I will report later on the system in use.

Jack

The boxes are nice too.

I've put the strap in use and have been very pleased.

The workmanship is fantastic, but the usability is a delight. I had used PeakDesign straps over the shoulder before, but I had never had an over the shoulder strap that went to a single camera eye and it is superior to a double eye attachment, but you have to try it to see if it works for you. I loop the wrist strap over the lens when not in use and it stays perfectly. Then when ready to bring the camera in use in your hand, the snap allows for a quick release from the shoulder strap. I have found it also works fine without releasing the strap. While the width of the leather might seem slim to some, it supports the weight of the M just fine. 

The length is correct for me, but Harry customizes the length to your liking. If you were to order his J-Loop, I'd recommend doing a rapid prototype with a string to figure out the exact length you prefer. The concept of the J-Loop came from a custom request from a former customer named Jay I believe. Thanks Jay.

I have one of Harry's dark brown B straps on my M10M - 142 cm. length (I'm 5'11") so that when I wear it cross body, the camera rest just above where my right hip pocket is - accessible but out of the way from potential nicks and dings when carrying it.

At present, I have an Artisan & Artist ACAM-25ER Easy Slider Strap on  my Q2, which is a great strap and is totally functional and reliable.  if you aren't going to get a custom leather strap, this is the way to go (I also like the Horween leather straps that Tamarkin Camera is offering).

Sooner or later, I'm going to get one of Harry's Brogue Wingtips in all black (142cm. length) for the M10M and move the B strap to the Q2.  That would be my ultimate strap set-up.

Edited by Herr Barnack

I've gone through more straps in a few decades of M shooting than I care to admit. The main problem I have with most of them is that they are too narrow where they hang around my neck. This becomes uncomfortable and even painful. By far the most comfortable strap I've ever used is the Leica Wide Strap, linked below. Leica sells it directly for $195. Leica Miami has it for $155. Both B&H and Adorama sell it for $145. The one I'm currently using on my M10M is eight years old and still going strong. The length is adjustable.

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Accessories/Carrying-Straps-and-Wrist-Straps/Wide-camera-carrying-strap

Edited by fotografr