Highly technical strap questions!

Chazphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/25/2020 at 2:48 PM, Rob L said:

... Harry Benz! Except that unless they have changed, I don't like his split rings because the way the ends are cut, they are very sharp and can chew up your strap lugs on the camera. ...

OK, this is what I do with my Harry Benz rings: electrical shrink tubing over the wire ends!  Some work to get it in place, and if you want to remove the strap, you´ll have to slice the tubing with a scalpel.  But, after getting Harry Benz straps mounted on both my Leicas, I don´t think I´ll ever want to take them off (except if sending the camera in for service...).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I would like to revise my earlier comment a bit. On most cameras, including Leica M, it is physically impossible for the ring to come in contact with the camera, but some cameras, including my Fuji X100F have the strap lugs mounted so high that the ring will catch to top edge of the top plate. In that case, I have used a rubber O-ring between the lug and the split ring, against the camera body to limit the articulation of the ring. I got this idea from the Gordy's website, who's straps have not been mentioned yet here but are a regular on most Leica M strap threads!   https://gordyscamerastraps.com/

Edited by Rob L
edit

I use one of these:

• Haha 1

I am reluctant to weigh in on such a topic - it being almost a matter of religion to some. However, I was frustrated at the length of many straps, and the inability to adjust them for length to cater for winter clothes (longer) or summer (shorter).  I toyed with the idea of an Australian kangaroo skin plaited belt similar to the one that holds my pants up, but in the end opted, happily, for a Gariz strap (see https://gariz.com.au/collections/shoulder-straps/products/gariz-black-genuine-leather-adjust-strap-xs-chlsnbk2) which is adjustable between 118cm and 136cm (or 46" to 54").  There are toggles that cover the ends, protecting the camera from abrasion (a concern of many), and once broken in (took 30 minutes of bending while watching TV) is very soft and subtle - I often carry it wrapped loosely and softly around my hand.  Easily adjusted and easily removed.  Added bonus - it is currently priced at $80AUD or, with the recent tanking of the Australian dollar, approx $49USD - a bargain.  

Hi all,

Belated return to this thread and a big thank you to all the contributors, including the numbered reply from KFo!  

Seems to be a reasonable consensus (on very low data quantity, I give you) that the stitching on the RnR can go, but is easy to redo.   Does occur to me that the chances of all four stitch points giving way at the same time are low.  

Regarding the wear point on contact with the side of the top plate, thanks for the pictures.   Based on that and input from other sources, it seems that the edge of the leather strap itself (perhaps particularly if doubled over) can cause wear.   In that sense, the circular protective tabs on the Rock n Roll are less use than rectangular protectors which have a hole for the strap lug and one through which the strap passes above the rings.  Couple of the straps shown in this thread do that, as does my Annie Barton Carerra. If I was being hyper-critical (which is, after all, the nature of this thread) I’d note that several strap protectors seem to position the lug hole too low for the rings.  

Good idea re the insulating tape, which I had seen elgenper post on another thread, but I can’t square that with the aesthetic of a nice leather strap or my desire to be plastic-free.  Strap adjustment for length is done very neatly in the Leica strap that Tom Johnston favours, but I’m happy to buy a fixed length strap, since I have a good feel for what length works for me.  

All of which leaves me much wiser, but still undecided!  I should have known better, I suppose, but am glad to have the details and look forward to whiling away non-photographic hours (primarily the train to work) musing strap decisions.  

cheers

chaz

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chazphoto said:

.......Strap adjustment for length is done very neatly in the Leica strap that Tom Johnston favours, but I’m happy to buy a fixed length strap, since I have a good feel for what length works for me......

I naturally put on the Leica strap that came with the m10, and so far most of the time its a fairly comfortable length.  Years ago, I used to "bunch up" the excess strap in my hands, so I could "pull" on the strap as one more way to keep the camera from moving.  I didn't realize it at the time, but this was with my M3 and a three-way adjustable Leica strap.

I have three film Leica cameras, and gave way the one that doesn't work to the fellow who fixed my 90mm Summicron.  Before I sent it off, I removed the strap.  It is soft, and pliable, and has the adjustments for length in the photo up above.  I'm away from home right now, but I think I'll remove the stock strap and replace it with my old one.  Like I said, it is "soft", and pliable, and comfortable to wear.  Maybe it used to have a wider part to go over the shoulder, but I don't remember ever having that.  I'll take a photo of it when I get home, before mounting it.

I don't like gaudy straps, no matter how beautiful they are, nor do I like bright colored straps, or wide straps.  I didn't realize it until now, but I think I prefer straps adjustable for length.    .........to be continued on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always looked for the ultimate strap and I've used many of them. Leica, Artisan etc. But for me it all comes down to the quality of the leather and simplicity. The strap I love to use is the old Leica strap that come with my M6, M7, but I can't use it with my M10P without getting hard marks from the plastic connector. The lengths of that strap works for both cross chest and axle. I'm familiar to work with leather and I've made many items for my own in the past years. I love leather and when I met my neighbor with his dog in his leash I'd know where I could find good leather. I went to my local pet shop and bought a lovely dog leash in the most satisfying leather. This is how it looks. Used the split rings from the original strap, but sanded it down because it feels like a razor blade when new. 

• Like 2

I like my straps a little longer than you normally find camera straps you buy, as I carry my camera cross chest. After trying several brands, I gave up and made one from the dog leash from my first dog. Nothing fancy, but it works fine. I couldn't do the fine stitching hand craft that dgp is a master of. I have used this for a couple of years now for all my cameras. Here on my M10M. Photo with M10, 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R.

Edited by Bo-Sixten
  • Like 1

This was a thread I should have skipped. I was perfectly happy with my current over the shoulder peak design strap.

Then  I read here about Harry Benz. I confess I had never heard of Harry Benz before. It will take me eight weeks to see if it’s as great as it seems. I like releasing my camera from aa over the shoulder strap and their J Loop version is made for it. I also like retaining a hand strap and they have a version that allows for it to combine  beautifully with the j loop. Got to their website carefully.

On 2/28/2020 at 2:50 AM, elgenper said:

OK, this is what I do with my Harry Benz rings: electrical shrink tubing over the wire ends!  Some work to get it in place, and if you want to remove the strap, you´ll have to slice the tubing with a scalpel.  But, after getting Harry Benz straps mounted on both my Leicas, I don´t think I´ll ever want to take them off (except if sending the camera in for service...).

Harry Benz straps are a delight and his rings stay put once installed. Harry has intentionally made the ring ends pointed so that they can be installed on the camera without the use of special tools. He recommends that after installation you just sand or file down the ends and the camera is fully protected. I used a small file and then polished with a dremel tool. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2020 at 4:05 PM, Bo-Sixten said:

I like my straps a little longer than you normally find camera straps you buy, as I carry my camera cross chest. After trying several brands, I gave up and made one from the dog leash from my first dog. Nothing fancy, but it works fine. I couldn't do the fine stitching hand craft that dgp is a master of. I have used this for a couple of years now for all my cameras. Here on my M10M. Photo with M10, 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R.

Hi Bo-Sixten, I might used a leash from the same manufacture. I just cut the braided part and did a stitch instead. The leather ages wonderfully. Yours look nice too and I also like a little longer strap especially when it's cold outside and you wear big clothes. I'm also from Sweden btw.

Edited by dickgillberg
edited my location
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dickgillberg said:

Hi Bo-Sixten, I might used a leash from the same manufacture. I just cut the braided part and did a stitch instead. The leather ages wonderfully. Yours look nice too and I also like a little longer strap especially when it's cold outside and you wear big clothes. I'm also from Sweden btw.

Thanks, dgp. I sent you a message in your profile.