Q2 color profile settings - what do you use?

BlackDE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I now own a Q2 but I am kind of disappointed about the color redering of this camera. The colors come out pretty dull. I use C1 and Lightroom, and it seems to be the case with both, and I am having a hard time in post, cracking up the colors and adding a little pop.

What camera color profile settings do you use?

Cheers,

Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

i use both programs and i can't complain about dull colors.

CaptureOne has/had the problem with oversaturated color rendering using the Q2 camera profile and even with the new 20.0.2 version i have this problem.

So in this moment i use the Adobe DNG Workspace as the Adobe DNG Neutral gives too dull colors.

Please specify what computer and monitor you use, i fear that your problem is either computer/monitor as you complain about the same of both software.

Chris

vor 26 Minuten schrieb PhotoCruiser:

Hi Bernhard,

i use both programs and i can't complain about dull colors.

CaptureOne has/had the problem with oversaturated color rendering using the Q2 camera profile and even with the new 20.0.2 version i have this problem.

So in this moment i use the Adobe DNG Workspace as the Adobe DNG Neutral gives too dull colors.

Please specify what computer and monitor you use, i fear that your problem is either computer/monitor as you complain about the same of both software.

Chris

Hi Chris,

thx a lot. I am using a professional Adobe certified workstation, however it is quite a few years old my now. I probably have to upgrade to a new system soon.

Best regards, Bernhard

vor 21 Minuten schrieb BlackDE:

thx a lot. I am using a professional Adobe certified workstation, however it is quite a few years old my now. I probably have to upgrade to a new system soon.

You are using DNG files, right?

Do you calibrate your monitor? Calibrating devices are not so expensive anymore.
Check the monitor settings for low saturation or other parameters. Maybe someone played around with them
Try to borrow a monitor to check color on it. That will exclude problems with the monitor is photos remain dull.
You may download another raw capable software like the free GIMP to see if the same happens
You may copy some photos on a USB Stick and see them on another computer, thsat will show if your computer render the colors wrong or if the camera has a problem

As the problem happen on CaptureOne AND Lightroom i first would exclude software problems, except you use strange parameters in both of them.

Check where to set color correction during import and disable it, a wrong setting there will make the imported photos look strange

Chris

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb PhotoCruiser:

You are using DNG files, right?

Do you calibrate your monitor? Calibrating devices are not so expensive anymore.
Check the monitor settings for low saturation or other parameters. Maybe someone played around with them
Try to borrow a monitor to check color on it. That will exclude problems with the monitor is photos remain dull.
You may download another raw capable software like the free GIMP to see if the same happens
You may copy some photos on a USB Stick and see them on another computer, thsat will show if your computer render the colors wrong or if the camera has a problem

As the problem happen on CaptureOne AND Lightroom i first would exclude software problems, except you use strange parameters in both of them.

Check where to set color correction during import and disable it, a wrong setting there will make the imported photos look strange

Chris

Will to! Thx for the in depth advice! 

On 2/24/2020 at 3:09 AM, BlackDE said:

Hi,

I now own a Q2 but I am kind of disappointed about the color redering of this camera. The colors come out pretty dull. I use C1 and Lightroom, and it seems to be the case with both, and I am having a hard time in post, cracking up the colors and adding a little pop.

What camera color profile settings do you use?

Cheers,

Bernhard

I think the core of the issue is a poor interpretation of the sensor by Leica (sensor to DNG) and by C1/LR (profile). Images from the Panasonic S1R and SL2 using the same sensor look much better in my opinion. I suspect Leica tried too hard to make the Q2 output look like original Q instead of just accepting the unique color characteristics of the new sensor. I keep hoping Leica will release a firmware update for the Q2 that improves color output.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

I think the core of the issue is a poor interpretation of the sensor by Leica (sensor to DNG) and by C1/LR (profile). Images from the Panasonic S1R and SL2 using the same sensor look much better in my opinion. I suspect Leica tried too hard to make the Q2 output look like original Q instead of just accepting the unique color characteristics of the new sensor. I keep hoping Leica will release a firmware update for the Q2 that improves color output.

I agree. I don't know why but there is so much variance of colors with each camera, similar with each manufacturer:

https://www.travelisbeautiful.com/ricks-blog/2019/4/10/a-comparison-of-the-leica-q2-and-m10

http://gmpphoto.blogspot.com/2018/02/leica-m10-vs-leica-sl-vs-canon-5d-mark.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, serhan said:

I agree. I don't know why but there is so much variance of colors with each camera, similar with each manufacturer:

https://www.travelisbeautiful.com/ricks-blog/2019/4/10/a-comparison-of-the-leica-q2-and-m10

http://gmpphoto.blogspot.com/2018/02/leica-m10-vs-leica-sl-vs-canon-5d-mark.html

Yeah, the purple wildflower shot in the first link is what I'm used to seeing for Q2 character – almost dark and brooding versus Q's happy and bright – unless everyone shooting the Q2 is using the same C1/LR film preset or something, I don't know.

In the second link it's quite obvious the color pop the the M10 sensor has over the SL and even Canon. But I have edited my shots from the SL and Canon that come close to the Q/M10 look – but I've yet to see anyone match that with the Q2.

>You may download another raw capable software

>like the free GIMP to see if the same happens

Has anyone got satisfying results from open source software? I remember correcting lens distortion is possible but I never came to satisfying colors. What about sharing a suitable color profile? Could the one from adobe be exported and used with gimp/darktable or whatever open source software?

- tk

This is a very colorful photo i took in Barcelona and the below version is imported in DarkTable with no modifications and all curves/parameters set to flat.
I don't think that it looks dull or undersaturated.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The FullRes 33 mb Photo out of Photoshop with no Modifications other than automatic ones can be seen here:

Edited by PhotoCruiser

vor 7 Stunden schrieb TK!:

Has anyone got satisfying results from open source software? I remember correcting lens distortion is possible but I never came to satisfying colors.

To check the above picture i installed RawTherapee and Darktable and the results where comparable.
on one of both i saw a function to make and save a ICM profile, so once you have the colors YOU think they look right.
However, consider that every monitor is different, so what looks off-color may look good on another monitor and also e are swamped with unrealistic HDR like photos and
this may alter our preception of colors making us think that the color we see looks dull or undersaturated.

I did some tests and it seems to me thet the CaptureOne 20.0.2 Windows Version Leica Q profile gives better colors than the - for the windows version- wrong/old Leica Q2 profile

Chris