Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 MC Version II

mheine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello guys, 

does anyone own the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 MC Version II and can share images shot wide open?
I own the previous version of the lens and thinking about to upgrade but I want to see if the rendering at f1.4 is the same (busy bokeh). I've been looking on Instagram and it looks like the rendering has changed which would be sad because I love the special look of the lens.

If possible, portrait work on that aperture would be great.

Many greetings from Germany!

vor einer Stunde schrieb padam:

Thanks for the reply! I've already read both but those shots on the rangefinder forum are quite hard to compare because of the used film (heavy grain) because I shot my Voigtlander on digital M. The review by Patrick is great and the rendering looks a bit different, that's why I wanted to see some more shots wide open. 

• Like 1

I had both lenses for a short time and I would say go for version II: the focus shift difference is noticeable but the character is retained. It just is a better lens in my opinion, and I use it all the time - it’s my only 35mm, and I only use 50mm and 35mm. To me Leica’s Summilux 35mm pre-asph is way too expensive when you Can get such a beautiful lens as the Nokton that just does exactly the same things but a little better. Not bothered myself with the slight barrel distortion, it never is noticeable in my photography. It’s plenty sharp wide open and as good as anything else stopped down. Although not a portrait, I shot the old and the version II side to side to compare them - here goes, both wide open:

Nokton version I 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nokton version II

As you can see they are very similar, but I think version II has a bit less purple fringing.

I also prefer the new aperture ring, more solid - better haptics.

I hope this helps!

Flavio

Edited by Harpomatic
  • Like 4

vor 28 Minuten schrieb paulmac:

I have version one and I have never found it lacking in any way - it's a great lens that is very similar to the Leica 35mm F1.4 Summilux pre asph version.

To me I have never thought that the version 1 lens was inferior to any other lens that i have used. Wide open it's as sharp as I could want and personally I have never noticed any of the reported focus shift issues with the lens.

Build quality is truly excellent and just as good as a Leica and a bonus is that it has a proper focus tab that won't break like the later flimsy type 1 plastic Leica tabs although of course the original Summilux 35mm used a metal tab.

For a truly stellar 35mm lens alternative to Leica then maybe have a look at the Zeiss 35mm F2.8.

In reality though it's all "splitting hairs" and any one is probably better than we would ever want!

Hi paulmac, thank your for replying. I love the Nokton as well but mine suffers from huge focus shift. When focusing through the rangefinder I have issues to nail the focus when stopped down. Everything but f1.4 won't nail the focus at the spot I focussed on. When I use the Live View to focus and then look through the RF I see that they were not synced.

Overall this lens is my favorite but it's not great to have a lens on a rangefinder camera which you can only use at f1.4, especially on sunny days.

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Harpomatic:

I had both lenses for a short time and I would say go for version II: the focus shift difference is noticeable but the character is retained. It just is a better lens in my opinion, and I use it all the time - it’s my only 35mm, and I only use 50mm and 35mm. To me Leica’s Summilux 35mm pre-asph is way too expensive when you Can get such a beautiful lens as the Nokton that just does exactly the same things but a little better. Not bothered myself with the slight barrel distortion, it never is noticeable in my photography. It’s plenty sharp wide open and as good as anything else stopped down. Although not a portrait, I shot the old and the version II side to side to compare them - here goes, both wide open:

Nokton version I 

Nokton version II

As you can see they are very similar, but I think version II has a bit less purple fringing.

I also prefer the new aperture ring, more solid - better haptics.

I hope this helps!

Flavio

Thank you Flavio! Exactly those kind of comparisons I am searching for. Distortions and vignetting are irrelevant for me because I edit all my shots and can fix that easily in post. It's great to hear that the characteristics and the overall look of the lens is still retained in Version 2 .
If you have any other wide-open shots taken with the newer Voigtlander (doesn't have to be a side-by-side comparison), it would be great to see them because this lens and its look was the main reason for me to switch to the M.  

23 minutes ago, mheine said:

Thank you Flavio! Exactly those kind of comparisons I am searching for. Distortions and vignetting are irrelevant for me because I edit all my shots and can fix that easily in post. It's great to hear that the characteristics and the overall look of the lens is still retained in Version 2 .
If you have any other wide-open shots taken with the newer Voigtlander (doesn't have to be a side-by-side comparison), it would be great to see them because this lens and its look was the main reason for me to switch to the M.  

Hi mheine, here are some more shots wide open. Please consider that for me these are discarded shots, but I think they can give you an idea of the bokeh, sharpness wide open (although the daylight ones are not perfectly focused, they were grab shots). These shots are rubbish for me!

All shots unedited

Edited by Harpomatic
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 2

Sorry for the many posts, some pics are a little bigger in size but it helps to see the file better

• Like 5

Thank you mheine for asking! And Flavio these are useful. I've been eyeing this lens too and  held off on v1 over the years for concern of busy bokeh and focus shift. 

Also, there is with regard to your composition, an interesting line from the hand in the foreground on the left, that follows to the main subject's hand and then a lady with hands clasped in the background.  Just sayin' don't disregard this one! :)

David

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DwF said:

Also, there is with regard to your composition, an interesting line from the hand in the foreground on the left, that follows to the main subject's hand and then a lady with hands clasped in the background.  Just sayin' don't disregard this one! :)

Hello David, thanks for the observation on my picture!

I have to say, I see what you mean but to me the picture is just a snapshot, with no story. The hands lend it a little interest, but not enough to make it a keeper for me!

This is more like what I am looking for - although not perfectly sharp because at slow shutter speed, wide open at iso 3200 - same lens though, so still relevant to the thread!

• Like 4

I have both v1 & v2, and as others have said they are comparable in image quality and distortion. The focus shift is much reduced, but not eliminated. From my tripod testing the only aperture it might be noticed at is f2.8, but in practical use it won't be an issue. I use them on digital - M9 & M10, and used to use v1 for dim light at wide open to f2. It did give some very sharp pictures stopped down in sunlight, but the sharpest detail would be behind the subject. You don't notice that with ver2.

I tend to use a Summarit 2.5 more on the M10 where high ISO works well, as the Summarit is clearly sharper than either Nokton, but the overall IQ of the Nokton is very pleasing.

I must be in minority, but I prefer the aperture ring of ver 1, as it is more like the old Summilux, but also more expensive to machine than ver 2.

• Like 2

Guys, thank you for all your responses! It's great to see how much you're helping me out! Especially Harpomatic for all your shots. 🙂

vor 22 Minuten schrieb TomB_tx:

I have both v1 & v2, and as others have said they are comparable in image quality and distortion. The focus shift is much reduced, but not eliminated. From my tripod testing the only aperture it might be noticed at is f2.8, but in practical use it won't be an issue. I use them on digital - M9 & M10, and used to use v1 for dim light at wide open to f2. It did give some very sharp pictures stopped down in sunlight, but the sharpest detail would be behind the subject. You don't notice that with ver2.

I tend to use a Summarit 2.5 more on the M10 where high ISO works well, as the Summarit is clearly sharper than either Nokton, but the overall IQ of the Nokton is very pleasing.

I must be in minority, but I prefer the aperture ring of ver 1, as it is more like the old Summilux, but also more expensive to machine than ver 2.

Sounds great to hear, that the focus shift is reduced. As said, mine pretty much sucks when stopped down and doesn't make fun at all. There's nothing more worse but not getting a face sharp when doing portraits. Thanks for the mentioned change to the aperture ring, never looked at this before.

Still, if anyone has shot portraits wide-open with the lens, it would be great to see them.

You're amazing, guys! 🙏

6 hours ago, mheine said:

Still, if anyone has shot portraits wide-open with the lens, it would be great to see them.

This is the closest I can find for wide open portraits...not frontal though.

• Like 3

Missed the closest eye here, the bugger wouldn’t stay still! 🤣

• Like 1

This one is slightly edited and converted to monochrome 

• Like 5

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Harpomatic:

This is the closest I can find for wide open portraits...not frontal though.

Thank you for all your help, I appreciate this a lot!

I do mostly portraits in urban environments and love the rendering of the Voigtlander and I want to keep that soft, busy rendering. I show some example shots with it where the classic, swirly rendering pops. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

• Like 5

• Like 4

• Like 7

I'm interested in the version II of this lens.  Can someone please explain to me what exactly "focus shift" is? Thanks.   My only M mount lens currently is a 50mm Summilux Asph.  I'd like to get a compact 35mm but not sure I want to spend the prices for another Leica lens, esp since I mostly intend to shoot the 50. So I've been considering the Voigtlander, but people are scaring me with all this focus shift talk.  Thanks.

Edited by mediumformula