Jan1985

Leica S Transport Case

I have a couple of them, they are bulky for what they carry but are robust.  The 24, 30-90, 120TS and maybe the 100 do not fit in.  When I left NZ I sent my S2-P and 5 lenses by air freight to France with no damage...

john

vor 8 Minuten schrieb John McMaster:

I have a couple of them, they are bulky for what they carry but are robust.  The 24, 30-90, 120TS and maybe the 100 do not fit in.  When I left NZ I sent my S2-P and 5 lenses by air freight to France with no damage...

john

Ok that sounds like 50:50... I have an eye on one case for a relative cheap price...

On 2/22/2020 at 5:15 PM, Jan1985 said:

Has anybody bought the Leica S Original Transport Case? What are your experiences? Can you recommend it for traveling?

I have the Leica hard case and use it back and forth to the coast a lot.  I keep a dry canister in it and it seals out humidity well.   The 45mm fits in the 30 / 35 slots and the 24mm, without the hood, fits in a 30 / 35 slot.  Ironically, the 24mm hood fits in the dual charger slot, not sure if that was on purpose or not!  I carry an extra viewfinder because I used the grid for landscape work.  If you only have one or two lenses, there are better soft cases for the size.  The foam is not removable, it is only meant to work with the S system.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 5 Minuten schrieb erlingmm:

I have it. Have traveled extensively with it, on planes, in car. Feels safe, very useful.

Actually I don’t do that long trips. But I guess it seems a very good transportation option. the antagonist to the M philosophy 

On 2/26/2020 at 4:46 PM, Jan1985 said:

Actually I don’t do that long trips. But I guess it seems a very good transportation option. the antagonist to the M philosophy 

The whole S system is an antagonist to the M philosophy!  But, boy, I love the RAW files....

Given it’s a re-branded Pelican case you could look at their extensive portfolio and probably save a few bucks plus get something that actually fits those larger S lenses.

i have the Pelican Air case for an M system, the one that is the largest size that can be carried as hand luggage.  Although I have never checked it in I have little doubt it would handle whatever the airlines try to throw at it.

Jan1985,  I have two Leica S Transport Cases.  The cases are excellent.  I travel the world for my corporate clients and both cases have taken a lot of abuse from the airlines over the years.  As mentioned by others here, there are several lenses that do not fit the precut foam.  I had my foam cut special for those lenses.  Also Pelican makes excellent cases and I use those for the M  and SL systems.  I use the Pelican Air 1535AirTP Wheeled Carry-On cases with the Trek-Pak inserts that you cut yourself.  These are most excellent as well.  But for the S, I like the Leica cases best.  r/ Mark

19 hours ago, paulsydaus said:

Given it’s a re-branded Pelican case you could look at their extensive portfolio and probably save a few bucks plus get something that actually fits those larger S lenses.

It is actually an HPRC branded case.  I have the Pelican Air 1535 and the S Case, the S case is a little thicker, heavier and the foam is dense and does not pill like square pluck foam does.  I'm not justifying the price, but to protect the camera, it does a great job.  Given that the SL and M don't have a mirror that will not focus properly if it is misaligned, then to keep from having to get the S serviced, I enjoy the case alone.   

Note that the new HPRC cases are lighter weight and different now, so the price is not comparable anymore...

Just my 2 cents... (or my $20 given its Leica).

Your feedbacks are quite good to me. I have one for around 380€ to buy... Really thinking of that. I have a 70mm, 120mm and maybe the 100mm soon with the S007.

If you are looking for something lighter and if you do not need waterproofness or the exact cutouts, Tenba Air Cases are great. I have checked them a number of times on flights and never had an issue. They are excellent. 

Those cases look unwieldy for documentary photography which I do sometimes. I can't see myself travelling with a 50 pound box (feels like that). I still prefer tossing my cameras into a Mindshift sling pack and gtg.

14 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Those cases look unwieldy for documentary photography which I do sometimes. I can't see myself travelling with a 50 pound box (feels like that). I still prefer tossing my cameras into a Mindshift sling pack and gtg.

When I take a hard case, it is for the travel part and the ability to lock it up closed for safekeeping (I use a master lock and covered wire strap).  But, I still take a cary bag for using to shoot landscapes or others out and about.  If I am not taking much gear, I do the same - just put things in a Filson bag or a Billingham and go...

On 3/15/2020 at 12:36 PM, davidmknoble said:

When I take a hard case, it is for the travel part and the ability to lock it up closed for safekeeping (I use a master lock and covered wire strap).  But, I still take a cary bag for using to shoot landscapes or others out and about.  If I am not taking much gear, I do the same - just put things in a Filson bag or a Billingham and go...

Hi David,

When you say master lock, do you mean security lock, I.e. unique key for you alone?

Have you ever head the airlines ask you to open it?

Do you ask them to post it as fragile?  Do you think that makes any difference?

Paulsydaus,   I have two Leica S travel cases.  I learned early on to have the airlines put "Fragile" stickers on the cases.  I drop them off at the special/oversize handling drop at check-in.  Most airlines handle cases marked "Fragile" differently.  Plus the checkin agents have repeatedly told me security protection by handlers is higher on marked cases.  I also do not lock any of my cases.  In the USA and other countries like Australia, if the security people can't open the TSA approved locks, they cut them off.  I lost several locks that way even though they were TSA locks.  Lesson learned, never lock the cases, mark cases "Fragile", use oversized handling checkin.  I have never had any camera gear stolen.  I also have global high value insurance to cover theft. I always open my cases immediately on receipt at oversize baggage claim for accountability inspection.  Harder to prove airline theft occurred if you collect your case and leave.  Last, treat and ship your high value camera gear as if they were firearms.  Hope this helps. r/ Mark

I got a Compagnon case that fit almost all of the lenses.  The MIndShift backpack also does that and you can carry it.  Also, Hadley Pro fits the S with 2-3 lenses.  Between these I'd rather have two cases in the car that I can actually carry on my shoulders instead of a suitcase.  I'd never ever check in any photo gear.  I read that you can carry a camera on your body, or in fact any amount of things, so I'd rather have a vest with lenses when push comes to shove, than checking things in.  Never had to, my overloaded superheavy Hadley Pro was never weighed so far.  Had two X1D bodies in one with lenses and a MacBook, really heavy.

There was a while that I was travelling by air with my Filson Magnum weighing +20kg 😉  S2-P + grip, 24, 35, 45, 70, 120, 180, Monochrome, M(240), 35/1.4, 50/1, 50/2 APO, R 60 macro, 15" laptop plus chargers, batteries etc.

john

On 3/25/2020 at 10:12 PM, paulsydaus said:

Hi David,

When you say master lock, do you mean security lock, I.e. unique key for you alone?

Have you ever head the airlines ask you to open it?

Do you ask them to post it as fragile?  Do you think that makes any difference?

good question.  The lock I use is for on-location, not on the airplane.  Although, I do not check mine, I carryon...  so no problems with TSA.  However, if you put a lock on, then it must be TSA approved if checked for baggage.  I think someone else posted here they go through a high value checkin - I have not done that.  Does that help @paulsydaus?