Film Series: Kodak TMax 400

Stealth3kpl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As it's raining, let's start a new thread series.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a series of threads each relating to one film type developed in different developers.You must state your developer and process for the image you present. You are allowed to post only one photo with one film/developer combination, so choose your photo carefully.

Please start another thread for a different film stock, but with the title "Film Series <Film Stock>". Hopefully, we'll be able to have a nice library of images for each film type.

This thread is for TMax 400.

Perceptol 1+2 11min 30secs at 23C

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great thought, Pete, but I fear this may be too narrow in scope for a engaging thread.  It reminds me of the time when I started a Flickr group of IIIg users in NYC - it never went anywhere.  Or, the slightly more successful series of threads that I created in the Leica Lens subform for various different types of specific lenses (the idea being that people will populate the thread with photos from a single lens, such as the 50mm summilux).  It got some engagement for a few weeks and then fizzled. 

My suggestion would be to just join the fun on the "I Like Film" thread.  Embrace it - it is really quite unique! 

• Like 1

I second A miller.

Another issue is that there are more variables in how a film looks than just film and developer - such as subject contrast or lighting contrast or lens drawing.

If someone else photographs a different steering wheel in a different car under different light with a different lens, how do we sort out whether its different look is due to Perceptol vs. D-76, or one of those other variables?

First rule of experimentation - only change one variable at a time.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2020 at 3:20 AM, Stealth3kpl said:

As it's raining, let's start a new thread series.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a series of threads each relating to one film type developed in different developers.You must state your developer and process for the image you present. You are allowed to post only one photo with one film/developer combination, so choose your photo carefully.

Please start another thread for a different film stock, but with the title "Film Series <Film Stock>". Hopefully, we'll be able to have a nice library of images for each film type.

This thread is for TMax 400.

Perceptol 1+2 11min 30secs at 23C

Pete

I often use the film/developer to search the photos in Flickr. That does not require the poster to pre-thread the film/developer combination, and yes, the developer is less important for the colored film or the c41 B&W.

To help the search, I wonder if it makes sense to require to specify some basic informations in the “image post request form”, such as the film type, developer, camera, lens, focal length (for zoom), aperture, shooting time (morning, noon, evening), etc., of course, don’t over do it or else it might be irrelevant. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I go to https://filmdev.org/ and check what others have done with a variety of combinations. But, here’s the rub, obviously anything posted has been digitized. In all likelihood the scanned negative has been adjusted via a computer program. How am I supposed to judge a film & chemistry combo that’s been “worked”? I do it myself. Recently I bracketed a roll of film (camera scan) and fused in Photomatix. Great results, but does it reflect the properties of the film and chemistry I processed with, not a chance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing special, TMY-2 ISO 100,  M4, 35 2.0 Voigtlander Ultron ASPH, 040 Orange Filter, HC-110 Dilution B, 6 minutes, Scanned with Sony A5100, 55 Micro-Nikkor 2.8 Ai-S, Skier Copybox II

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by madNbad
  • Like 1