Does m6 ISO door interchangeable with MP?

Gavbo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

By chance I came across a m6 ISO back door listing, does anyone know if it is interchangeable with the MP with working ASA input? Always prefer the m6 ISO/ASA back door. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Gavbo

Yes, it works.

I swapped them (for fun 😏 or to learn with some other swappings of doors and base plates between Ms ) for a while .

the leatherette may not be the same, if that doesn't bother you.

On the first MP for some years, they share the M6 style door with matching leatherette.

In the picture, I see some cleaning marks on pressure plate, or just better clean it,

those may scratch film

49 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Yes, it works.

I swapped them (for fun 😏 or to learn with some other swappings of doors and base plates between Ms ) for a while .

the leatherette may not be the same, if that doesn't bother you.

On the first MP for some years, they share the M6 style door with matching leatherette.

In the picture, I see some cleaning marks on pressure plate, or just better clean it,

those may scratch film

Yes that's the look I was going for, early production mp!

This look?

• Like 4

I agree the original dial is nicer, and the the contacts are the same compared with my early MP, but I'd just be worried about the radial scratches. If they were simple wear and of no consequence they'd be longitudinal wear in line with the film path, these appear to have an arc, which makes me think perhaps somebody has tried to polish something out.

On 2/22/2020 at 4:38 PM, Stealth3kpl said:

I think this is normal.

22 hours ago, 250swb said:

these appear to have an arc, which makes me think perhaps somebody has tried to polish something out

I think they are normal. I thought my MPs had them but on checking my empty body they are absent, but I've seen many photos of pressure plates with these lines. I'm sure they will be present on my other MP and they are present on my M2's pressure plate.

See the photo half way down this thread

and here

and here

and here

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Stealth3kpl said:

I think they are normal. I thought my MPs had them but on checking my empty body they are absent, but I've seen many photos of pressure plates with these lines. I'm sure they will be present on my other MP and they are present on my M2's pressure plate.

The undamaged texture from the honing stone used to make a perfectly flat surface isn't what I meant, but I was indeed unclear. When a pressure plate is polished to remove scratches it removes the black coating and the honing marks start to appear silver in a radial pattern, the honing pattern. Films going through the camera in my opinion don't shine up the honing pattern in the same way, it picks out random areas of wear joining the radial honing marks with longitudinal wear. I only suggested it has been polished because of what appears to be obvious damage or deep scratch to the MP pressure plate near the top left corner and some pitting to the bottom left corner (both in 2nd photo). Obviously you don't agree with me that it is damage so sorry for suggesting it, but good luck OP. 

Edited by 250swb

Gavbo,

Out of topic, but who knows ...

my suggestion, if one day you want to transform your MP to pseudo M-A (no LED to disturb your framing !) or if you use 100 ISO only film,

the M4-P or M4-2 is as flat outside and "cool looking" as can be 🙃

4 minutes ago, Stealth3kpl said:

I hadn't noticed those faults top and bottom left. I though you were referring to the circumferential scouring.

Pete

We were at cross purposes, but mainly me dashing off a quick response to the OP and not making myself clear. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

If anyone else is interested in doing this M6/MP door swap this isn't guaranteed to work from what I can tell.

I have two m6 back doors and neither work on my MP.  The potentiometer on the m6 rear doors are off by a full stop at ISO 100 and gradually grows in discrepancy as the ISO increases.  I checked the contact resistance on both M6 doors and everything is in spec.

So I'm not sure if there was a change to the light meter in the body of the MP at a certain serial number but my MP is 2921xx and the swap does not work.

Also of note, after removing the pressure place on both the MP and M6 doors the potentiometer housing is completely different.  I'm now wondering if the first batch of MP cameras that have the M6 style ISO dial have the same internals as the M6 or if its only the dial itself that is the same. 

I'm about to send the camera to NJ for a full CLA and will ask them what the deal is.

Just be aware that your mileage may vary.

*To add.  I just tested the resistance of the pins on the MP film door and they are significantly different than the M6 doors. 

Edited by Laidley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/23/2020 at 3:25 PM, Laidley said:

I'm now wondering if the first batch of MP cameras that have the M6 style ISO dial have the same internals as the M6 or if its only the dial itself that is the same. 

I'm about to send the camera to NJ for a full CLA and will ask them what the deal is. 

@Laidley, did you ever get an answer from Leica NJ? This question has come up again recently on this forum and it would be good to a get a definitive answer. 

33 minutes ago, Studienkamera said:

@Laidley, did you ever get an answer from Leica NJ? This question has come up again recently on this forum and it would be good to a get a definitive answer. 

The EV range of the M6 (the one where you can't get the meter repaired) is EV0 to EV20, and it uses two triangles in the display. When the M6TTL (the one that can still be repaired) was introduced the EV went up to EV-2 to EV20 and the display uses two triangles and a dot between them. So it's not even the same metering circuit between the M6 and M6TTL. The early MP, according to my manual has and EV range of EV-2 to EV20, so the same as the TTL, plus the same display. This is the same as Leica's published data (2006) for the MP after they changed the dial from the M6 style of dial. So when the camera repairer says the meter for the M6 can't be repaired they literally mean the M6, not M6TTL or MP early dial or MP late dial. 

• Like 3

vor einer Stunde schrieb 250swb:

The EV range of the M6 (the one where you can't get the meter repaired) is EV0 to EV20, and it uses two triangles in the display. When

the M6TTL (the one that can still be repaired) ??

was introduced the EV went up to EV-2 to EV20 and the display uses two triangles and a dot between them. So it's not even the same metering circuit between the M6 and M6TTL. The early MP, according to my manual has and EV range of EV-2 to EV20, so the same as the TTL, plus the same display. This is the same as Leica's published data (2006) for the MP after they changed the dial from the M6 style of dial. So when the camera repairer says the meter for the M6 can't be repaired they literally mean the M6, not M6TTL or MP early dial or MP late dial. 

smoking blurs

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a thought going in a different direction.  Can the M6 door be used on the M4-P?  I'm not looking for any functionality except to have a better ISO reminder than that stupid write-on pad.

PF