Jump to content

Guess who Is coming to dinner: New L-alliance partner


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The big picture is that the L mount competes against mirrorless mounts from Sony, Canon, and Nikon. Anything that makes the L Mount more compelling increases the customer base. Sure, those customers aren't "all-Leica," but that is not a realistic outcome. It's much better to market the L mount to any photographer who wants the best optics, regardless of brand. Canon and Nikon are doing their competition a favour by keeping their respective mirrorless mounts closed. As a consumer, the L Moun

Been there, still biased.

I for one would love Voigtlander to join the L-Mount Alliance because I believe they’d bring a different style of lenses to what the other three manufacturers are already making.  They make manual focus lenses with “modern classical” rendering There’s a big market for fast compact manual focusing lenses that cover a FF sensor and include corrections in the photo/video world Generally speaking the average Voigtlander buyer isn’t cross shopping with Leica unless it’s for a seco

4 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

I use the 25mm f2.4 on my A7III and find the performance to be top class. 

I have used ZM on M9, such as 25mm, 35mm, and 50mm. While they are top notch lenses, the lack of on-camera lens compensation puts them in the inferior position. One of the issue I have is the CA that looks like Xmas light on the edge of some objects. The MATE even looks better in some sense.

The value of joining L alliance should be the accessibility to the Leica L lens compensation.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Voigtlander (licensed brand name of Cosina) makes beautiful M mount, Sony E mount and m43 mount lenses. If they made L mount optimized versions of their E mount lenses, like the 21/3.5, 35/1.4, 40/1.2, 50/1.2, APO Lanthar 50 and 110 Macro, I'd be extra motivated to get into L mount cameras. The thought of smallish Voigtlander primes on the otherwise large L mount bodies is exciting. Fingers crossed!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, verwackelt said:

what would be the advantages for Leica as a licenser if another manufacturer offers first-class lenses for L-mount?

The big picture is that the L mount competes against mirrorless mounts from Sony, Canon, and Nikon. Anything that makes the L Mount more compelling increases the customer base.

Sure, those customers aren't "all-Leica," but that is not a realistic outcome. It's much better to market the L mount to any photographer who wants the best optics, regardless of brand. Canon and Nikon are doing their competition a favour by keeping their respective mirrorless mounts closed. As a consumer, the L Mount Alliance offers a greater variety of cameras and lenses than any other. Perhaps Sony has more lenses, but they offer one body with tiered specifications (the Chevy-Buick-Cadillac ladder, where you are paying more for the same product with fewer features missing). Compare that to the S1, SL2, and fp: those are very different cameras that happen to share a lens mount.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 11:10 AM, Archiver said:

Voigtlander (licensed brand name of Cosina) makes beautiful M mount, Sony E mount and m43 mount lenses. If they made L mount optimized versions of their E mount lenses, like the 21/3.5, 35/1.4, 40/1.2, 50/1.2, APO Lanthar 50 and 110 Macro, I'd be extra motivated to get into L mount cameras. The thought of smallish Voigtlander primes on the otherwise large L mount bodies is exciting. Fingers crossed!

It’s unrealistic to expect Voigtlander to jump onto the L train. 
After all, the SL2 is already optimized for M mount lenses, if you want to use a Voigtlander you just need to use the M version. 
Moreover, many Leica users already have some of these lenses, I think the market for a L mount Voigtlander lens would be too small for them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And Leica has shown no sign of making L-mount versions of its M lenses. Rangefinder lenses are (by definition) designed for manual focus, and most of them (all of them?) move the whole lens barrel in and out, which is not a great system to convert to auto focus. Modern AF-design lenses aim to minimise the weight of the element that is moved to focus, and so they are mostly (all?) internal focusing. Somethimg has to give in this switch from whole barrel to single element movement, and that is size and weight. AF lenses are larger than rangefinder lenses, not just because of the space for a motor, but because they have to be, for fast focusing.

Edited by LocalHero1953
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 8:10 PM, Archiver said:

Voigtlander (licensed brand name of Cosina) makes beautiful M mount, Sony E mount and m43 mount lenses. If they made L mount optimized versions of their E mount lenses, like the 21/3.5, 35/1.4, 40/1.2, 50/1.2, APO Lanthar 50 and 110 Macro, I'd be extra motivated to get into L mount cameras. The thought of smallish Voigtlander primes on the otherwise large L mount bodies is exciting. Fingers crossed!

you mean small size  Manual focus L mount lenses ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

if you want to use a Voigtlander you just need to use the M version

Voigtlander has very interesting Apo-Lanthar lenses that are available only in Sony mount. I wouldn't mind seeing those available in L-Mount.

One advantage of having a native L-Mount is that they could provide EXIF data, therefore automating IBIS with the L-Mount bodies that have that feature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BernardC said:

Voigtlander has very interesting Apo-Lanthar lenses that are available only in Sony mount. I wouldn't mind seeing those available in L-Mount.

One advantage of having a native L-Mount is that they could provide EXIF data, therefore automating IBIS with the L-Mount bodies that have that feature.

I think they have two or three, the 60mm, the 100mm and another one?

But Sony has a huge market share and the thick cover glass issue, if they want to sell well on that platform, they need to provide optimized glass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2020 at 3:28 PM, verwackelt said:

But wouldn´t Zeiss in the L-Mount alliance too much competition for Leica?

Another partner will mean more competition but it will also make the L-mount more attractive for photographers. I think the latter is most important so I welcome a new partner

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

This morning I entered in the forum considering to open a thread asking if anyone would like to see Voigtlander/Cosima producing native L-mount lenses and I discovered this with much surprise. 

I've found in the S1 the camera that gives me piece of mind in photography, I really love my zoom lenses (S 24-105 f/4 and DN 14-24 f/2.8) and I'm willing to complete the set with a future long-tele zoom from Panasonic or Sigma; that said, though I'm happy with the performances of the Panasonic/Sigma's primes and I'm sure will remain like that with the future products, I really enjoyed to use some manual focus lenses on the S1 the last year (the old Nokton 50 1.1, Nokton 40 1.2, Summicron 35/50/90 M, Summarit 135 M), apart from the fact that those lenses were optimized for the M-mount and they lacked of electronic contacts, usefull for the automatic zoom. 

The lens that would have the priority for me would be the 110 f/2.5 apo-lanthar, followed by the 75 SC, the 21 1.4 and the Nokton 50 1.2 (as I said above I've used the old 50 1.1 and the new 40 1.2). 

 

 

Edited by PaoloPgC
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PaoloPgC said:

This morning I entered in the forum considering to open a thread asking if anyone would like to see Voigtlander/Cosima producing native L-mount lenses and I discovered this with much surprise. 

I've found in the S1 the camera that gives me piece of mind in photography, I really love my zoom lenses (S 24-105 f/4 and DN 14-24 f/2.8) and I'm willing to complete the set with a future long-tele zoom from Panasonic or Sigma; that said, though I'm happy with the performances of the Panasonic/Sigma's primes and I'm sure will remain like that with the future products, I really enjoyed to use some manual focus lenses on the S1 the last year (the old Nokton 50 1.1, Nokton 40 1.2, Summicron 35/50/90 M, Summarit 135 M), apart from the fact that those lenses were optimized for the M-mount and they lacked of electronic contacts, usefull for the automatic zoom. 

The lens that would have the priority for me would be the 110 f/2.5 apo-lanthar, followed by the 75 SC, the 21 1.4 and the Nokton 50 1.2 (as I said above I've used the old 50 1.1 and the new 40 1.2). 

 

 

Can’t you get the Sigma stuffs on Sony? Same glass , cheaper camera .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...