Guess who Is coming to dinner: New L-alliance partner

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In an interview , Panasonic Image Business division director mentioned the possible new partner to the L-alliance but didn't disclose the name for clear reason.

I guess many would wonder who that could be.

There aren't many players without a strong mount systems. I think Canon, Nikon, Sony should be out of the game as they have more or less deeply committed to their own mount systems. What left are Zeiss, Hasselblad, Pentax/Ricoh, Samsung, Olympus,  Fujifilm, and Cosina.

Fujifilm and Olympus already commented that they are not considering full frame. Fujifilm's point is that the Full frame is too close to the APS-C and their MF. This point is very similar to Panasonic's comment that they are not considering into APS-C format due to the overlapping of APS-C with Full frame and APS-C with M43.  I can't see why Olympus would not take the same thinking of Panasonic.

Samsung? I am not sure their competence is up to the "Leica Alliance standard"  but I may be blindly biased. 

Hasselblad? unlikely though I don't have an argument yet. I also doubt Zeiss, since they don't have mass production facility. 

So the left would be Pentax/Ricoh and Cosina. 

What do you think? 

Edited by Einst_Stein

3 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

In an interview , Panasonic Image Business division director mentioned the possible new partner to the L-alliance but didn't disclose the name for clear reason.

I guess many would wonder who that could be.

... So the left would be Pentax/Ricoh and Cosina. 

What do you think? 

It might be just what Pentax needs as they are dying on their feet with their DSLR offerings.

The Ricoh GXR with M-module was well respected , so modernizing it, would spark interest.

Starting with APS-C would fill a gap and sit well with Pentax's value for money niche.

Mass-market/low-cost zooms and plastic camera bodies, could be balanced with small TL primes even a PK/FA/DA mount adapter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Samsung? I am not sure their competence is up to the "Leica Alliance standard"  but I may be blindly biased. 

yes you seem to be blindly biased..do more research into Samsung and their NX series and perhaps you will see where the nikon Z's came from.

With Sigma’s release of the 24-70mm f2.8, the L-mount has the most compelling lens line up In FF outside of the FE-mount

I known people who have bought Sony’s only because of Sigmas supply of that market. The Art series made a huge impact in the DSLR space and people don’t forget

Whilst the addition of more camera manufacturers is nice, it’s the lenses that are key. If Zeiss and Voigtlander start making lenses for L-mount it would be significant. I think the S1 and SL are perfect bases for a multi-lens systems 

The L-mount alliance should spend more marketing money advertising the lens brand, and make sure photographers are aware of this ...

6 hours ago, colonel said:

If Zeiss and Voigtlander start making lenses for L-mount it would be significant.

I would love to have the Zeiss Loxia lenses in L mount. For those who aren't familiar, they are a range of small manual focus primes using updated versions of classic Zeiss formulas. Sort of like ZM lenses, but updated, closer MFD, and video-friendly (de-clickable apertures, no focusing tabs).

21 hours ago, BernardC said:

I would love to have the Zeiss Loxia lenses in L mount. For those who aren't familiar, they are a range of small manual focus primes using updated versions of classic Zeiss formulas. Sort of like ZM lenses, but updated, closer MFD, and video-friendly (de-clickable apertures, no focusing tabs).

I use the 25mm f2.4 on my A7III and find the performance to be top class. 

• Like 1