the Leica Q EVF - and why it doesn´t do what it should...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well there is a menu option for “Exposure Preview” to be either active on a half press of the shutter button or full time on both my M240 and M246 when used with live view or the evf. If the evf brightness is set appropriately it is a rapid way to check uncritical exposure without overlaying the histogram onto the frame. I don’t think Leica would call it “Exposure Preview” if they didn’t think that’s what it was....

I don’t really use it as I hate the shutter delay with an evf/liveview on the Ms but it’s certainly something I would expect to work on the EVF-only Q (it does on my Fuji x-pros)

Also re the colour cast etc it seems odd that the Visoflex 020 on my TL2 allows for the colour balance as well as the brightness to be adjusted very precisely but the Q evf is “dumb”....

Edited by NigelG

I don't understand the issue. I can see exposure comp changes just fine in the EVF whether it be + or – and doesn't matter what exposure mode I'm in. Super-easy to see if I've got a high-key/low key exposure or not. Do you have your Exposure Preview set to PASM?

• If you're in full manual and you left ISO on Auto, you're not going to see any changes when you adjust SS or Aperture because ISO is compensating.
  • Exposure comp has no effect in manual.
  • In Aperture or Shutter priority mode, only Exposure Comp is reflected in EVF
Edited by hdmesa

18 hours ago, hdmesa said:

I don't understand the issue. I can see exposure comp changes just fine in the EVF whether it be + or – and doesn't matter what exposure mode I'm in. Super-easy to see if I've got a high-key/low key exposure or not. Do you have your Exposure Preview set to PASM?

• If you're in full manual and you left ISO on Auto, you're not going to see any changes when you adjust SS or Aperture because ISO is compensating.
  • Exposure comp has no effect in manual.
  • In Aperture or Shutter priority mode, only Exposure Comp is reflected in EVF

Anyway, the EVF is about one stop off. Of course I can extrapolate, but why do I have to with such an expensive camera?

Heiko

Edited by frogfish
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, frogfish said:

Anyway, the EVF is about one stop off. Of course I can extrapolate, but why do I have to with such an expensive camera?

Heiko

I see. The Q is getting up there in age now for tech specs and the EVF isn't exactly state-of-the-art. You might try adjusting your JPEG settings to better emulate the results you want to see in the EVF. Even if you use only DNG, shooting DNG + JPEG can be helpful for customizing how the image looks in the EVF. Lowering the JPEG contrast as far as it will go may give you the results you're after.

• 3 weeks later...

Olympus VF-4 electronic viewfinder, older than a leica Q.

On my olympus EP-5 every Exposure change is perfectly replicated in the final jpeg.

I considered buying the Q and took my olympus and hotshoe mounted VF-4 EVF  to the leica shop to test it side by side with the newer built in EVF on the Q .

The olympus VF-4 was clearly better in my view.

Wonder if the Q2 EVF is better?

8 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

Well, my "At least quality of the image is absolutely better! " was refered to the EVF image quailty and not photo quality.
The above statement does not exclude that the picture quality is better too!

Chris

When i took my pen ep-5 and VF-4 EVF to the leica store  i felt the olympus external EVF had the edge and was better than the Q EVF .

The VF-4 is much better than the VF-2 which i believe leica used on an m ?

Its just how i judged it at that time which was about a year ago,its not proof that i am correct.

I might take the same test at the store with the Q2 ,,,,at the time i wanted to buy a Q but i did not because of the EVF test i did at the time,

vor 5 Minuten schrieb steve 1959:

I might take the same test at the store with the Q2 ,,,,at the time i wanted to buy a Q but i did not because of the EVF test i did at the time,

Just do a search here and you will see that all agree that the Q2 EVF is lightyears better,
however, i also suggest to rent the Q2, some people don't like the Q2 because they need to adapt too much as with every brand change.
So renting for a weekend is a good idea to make sure that you don't buy a very expensive paperweight...

Chris

11 minutes ago, PhotoCruiser said:

Just do a search here and you will see that all agree that the Q2 EVF is lightyears better,
however, i also suggest to rent the Q2, some people don't like the Q2 because they need to adapt too much as with every brand change.
So renting for a weekend is a good idea to make sure that you don't buy a very expensive paperweight...

Chris

I bought the m262 and 2 summarit lenses [35 and 50] and i love it.

So the Q 2 is a possible future buy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still use my pen with longer lenses.