Novoflex SL/EOS - compatible with SL2

Ivar B

8 hours ago, Ivar B said:

Does anyone know if the adapter is compatible with Leica SL2? Novoflex informed me that there would be no more updates as they no longer had the support of Leica. 

As per the link posted above by mschuette, I ran tests on both adapters.

Don't waste your money on the Novoflex adapter, its operation on the SL2 is really sub-standard. It causes the lens to hunt for focus continually and is also just about useless once you add tele-converters.

The Sigma MC-21 adapter on the other hand works well. You get AFS (no AFC), focus is accurate, not lightning fast, but acceptable and hardly any focus hunting. It also works with tele-converters even if it slows down a little. Sigma also regularly issues FW updates. The Sigma costs around €240- compared to + €600- for the Novoflex.

There are a number of us here who are very pleased with the MC-21 and that it works on the SL2, (for some reason known only to Leica it doesn't work on the SL601).

Edited by michali
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, michali said:

As per the link posted above by mschuette, I ran tests on both adapters.

Don't waste your money on the Novoflex adapter, its operation on the SL2 is really sub-standard. It causes the lens to hunt for focus continually and is also just about useless once you add tele-converters.

The Sigma MC-21 adapter on the other hand works well. You get AFS (no AFC), focus is accurate, not lightning fast, but acceptable and hardly any focus hunting. It also works with tele-converters even if it slows down a little. Sigma also regularly issues FW updates. The Sigma costs around €240- compared to + €600- for the Novoflex.

There are a number of us here who are very pleased with the MC-21 and that it works on the SL2, (for some reason known only to Leica it doesn't work on the SL601).

I agree with your concern - the issue is that I already own one (bought for my SL) and I will sell it and should not mislead any potential buyers about performance on an SL2. I own an S1R now and here the autofocus does not work at all, but for SL users there is no alternative as the Sigma adapter is not compatible with the SL. 

30 minutes ago, Ivar B said:

I agree with your concern - the issue is that I already own one (bought for my SL) and I will sell it and should not mislead any potential buyers about performance on an SL2. I own an S1R now and here the autofocus does not work at all, but for SL users there is no alternative as the Sigma adapter is not compatible with the SL. 

You're correct the only option on the SL601 is the Novoflex.  

However the Sigma MC-21 works equally as well on the S1R as it does on the SL2.

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Michael Markey said:

I`m assuming from this discussion that neither of these adapters work totally successfully (if at all ) on a CL .

Unfortunately they don't work on the CL. The only adapter that works on the CL is a dumb EF to L adapter & that will be in full manual mode.  I've turned my Novoflex adapter into a dumb adapter by placing masking tape over the contacts, see link in post #2 above.

• Like 1

The Novoflex does work a little bit on the SL2. It does allow for electronic aperture control and it allows IBIS to be turned on (lens recognition).

For my use-case (using Canon macro lens) that is enough as I would use manual focus anyway.

The autofocus is practically unusable, like mentioned in several posts above. That said, I found the autofocus of the Novoflex on the SL Typ601 also a poor experience and never really used it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, michali said:

Unfortunately they don't work on the CL. The only adapter that works on the CL is a dumb EF to L adapter & that will be in full manual mode.  I've turned my Novoflex adapter into a dumb adapter by placing masking tape over the contacts, see link in post #2 above.

Thank you .