LIM'S has a Q2 hood!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Regarding the Lim's hood - my advice is don't buy it. Maybe it fits on the Q, not so well on the Q2, as someone already said, and for sure not on the Q2M

I will fix the stop so it squares properly with the lens, just like the Leica. As it is goes over what should be the stopping point. Obviously shaddy manufacturing and quality control.

I am stuck with mine, but do yourself a favor and buy the cheap round ones on EBay.

...and btw, their costumer service is rude and somewhat of a joke - they will not stand behind their product

27 minutes ago, iRandom said:

The Lim's hood worked perfectly on my Q2. It went on smoothly and stopped right where it should. It stayed in place fine after that. It was much easier to attach and align than the stock hood. Maybe there is manufacturing variation.

I suspect that - but their attitude as in admitting it and willing to provide a solution - like send us back and we will check, is to say the least pitiful

10 hours ago, plantagoo said:

Got the LIM hood. Have put it on my Q2M. Absolutely no problem at all. No difference at all compared to attaching the original hood. Yes, I owned several Q, Q-P and Q2 before... ;)

Want to see pictures? Please let me know.

Greetings
Erik

thanks Eric - no need, I believe you Are you in the US and close to Oregon by any chance?

I know my hood is defective, but ideally I would be able to confirm it by someone like you that has the hood and noth Q's

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 8 Stunden schrieb nwphil:

thanks Eric - no need, I believe you Are you in the US and close to Oregon by any chance?

I know my hood is defective, but ideally I would be able to confirm it by someone like you that has the hood and noth Q's

Hi Phil,

sorry - I'm located in Germany near Wetzlar... ;) 

Did you check out your hood with another Q/Q2 already? 

Greetings
Erik

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 10:39 AM, plantagoo said:

Hi Phil,

sorry - I'm located in Germany near Wetzlar... ;) 

Did you check out your hood with another Q/Q2 already? 

Greetings
Erik

Lucky you!!

Next time I'm in Germany  i am going to tour the Facilities!

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2020 at 10:04 AM, iRandom said:

The Lim's hood worked perfectly on my Q2. It went on smoothly and stopped right where it should. It stayed in place fine after that. It was much easier to attach and align than the stock hood. Maybe there is manufacturing variation.

same here although it was quite a bit tighter to go the last 1/8th turn than the original hood. it really really scared me to crank it down, but it stopped in perfect position.

i only read two pages of this 4 page thread so apologies if this got addressed along the way. i found a 49mm leitz lens cap on ebay and just automatically bought it because they're sort of hard to find right now. i just assumed it would fit because the lim's site says so. but it's the model which has the outside squeezers, on the inside pinch model and it won't fit inside the hood. 

will i just have to start over and find the pinch model? i had no idea they had two varieties of caps.

tks! /guy

On 12/17/2020 at 10:04 AM, iRandom said:

same here although it was quite a bit tighter to go the last 1/8th turn than the original hood. it really really scared me to crank it down, but it stopped in perfect position.

i only read two pages of this 4 page thread so apologies if this got addressed along the way. i found a 49mm leitz lens cap on ebay and just automatically bought it because they're sort of hard to find right now. i just assumed it would fit because the lim's site says so. but it's the model which has the outside squeezers, on the inside pinch model and it won't fit inside the hood. 

will i just have to start over and find the pinch model? i had no idea they had two varieties of caps.

tks! /guy

[later edit] lim's shows a pinch model inside, but it doesn't appear to be leitz. am i going to have to go aftermarket and spoil the beautiful look of my new leica with an off-brand cap? i guess some of the letiz folks  would comment that i already did that when i got the lim's hood, but really, i'm critical of such things and dislike trashing up the look of my camera and the hood and the lim's half case complement it perfectly. i have the same half-case on my cl so i knew that wouldn't be an issue. ]

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

i just measured and any cap (or filter i guess) would have to be 20mm or less diameter to fit. but the hood has lips and you could slide one edge under one lip and then put the other side in, so i'd say it could be 21-22mm and still work. still researching ..... /guy

8 hours ago, gteague said:

i just measured and any cap (or filter i guess) would have to be 20mm or less diameter to fit. but the hood has lips and you could slide one edge under one lip and then put the other side in, so i'd say it could be 21-22mm and still work. still researching ..... /guy

The lims hood allows a regular generic center-pinch 46mm lens cap to be used but not with the oem Leica hood; Only thing that might work would be a sleeve/slide-on lens cap like I have seen in a few leica lenses - the outer diameter might be less than 50mm, but can't check if that would be enough to clear out with the Leica hood

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 11:58 AM, plantagoo said:

Got the LIM hood. Have put it on my Q2M. Absolutely no problem at all. No difference at all compared to attaching the original hood. Yes, I owned several Q, Q-P and Q2 before... ;)

Want to see pictures? Please let me know.

Greetings
Erik

I believe you - that's why I asked lims to take mine back to check and replace/exchange

5 minutes ago, nwphil said:

The lims hood allows a regular generic center-pinch 46mm lens cap to be used but not with the oem Leica hood; Only thing that might work would be a sleeve/slide-on lens cap like I have seen in a few leica lenses - the outer diameter might be less than 50mm, but can't check if that would be enough to clear out with the Leica hood

i ordered a couple of 49mm caps (you did mean 49, right?), a sony and a generic with a red blob on it. then i thought to contact the vendor i'd gotten it from, very friendly folks, and they recommended the generic one (with red blob on it) i already had on order. i intensely dislike the slip on felt inside hoods like the one leica supplied so that was a big attraction of the lim's hood as well as it just looks so much better than the 'pinched in' leica one. 

/guy

Edited by gteague

1 minute ago, gteague said:

i ordered a couple of 49mm caps (you did mean 49, right?), a sony and a generic with a red blob on it. then i thought to contact the vendor i'd gotten it from, very friendly folks, and they recommended the generica one i already had on order. i intensely dislike the slip on felt inside hoods like the one leica supplied so that was a big attraction of the lim's hood as well as it just looks so much better than the 'pinched in' leica one. 

/guy

just checked - indeed 46mm. It snaps on the inside rim

Now, if you just want a cover for the hood on, I highly recommend the op/ tech usa hood hat mini "https://www.optechusa.com/hood-hat.html"

easy slide on and off, no strings, so....the loss is about 10-12 bucks depending where you buy it from. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nwphil said:

just checked - indeed 46mm. It snaps on the inside rim

Now, if you just want a cover for the hood on, I highly recommend the op/ tech usa hood hat mini "https://www.optechusa.com/hood-hat.html"

easy slide on and off, no strings, so....the loss is about 10-12 bucks depending where you buy it from. 

i'm very confused now. the cap snaps into the filter threads, right? and the filter size is 49mm, right? i don't understand where the 46mm comes from. here's the info from lim's description of the hood which is what i used except i obviously missed the part about the leica 49mm cap being too big:

"- Inner part of Hood are machined convexo-concave to absorb unnecessary light.
Step. 1
To install the hood, remove the front rim ring of the lens by turning it counterclockwise.

Step. 2
Install hood rotating clockwise.
※ When mounted on Leica Q2, the threads are designed to be very tight.
It has to be turned until the end of the thread, the same as genuine Leica Hood. 

Step. 3
It is possible to put the lens cap(cover) to protect lens.(Available for universal 49mm Lens cap)
※ Lens cap is not included

※ The original Leica Lens cap is designed to be larger than universal lens cap so, cannot be installed while LIM'S hood is mounted."

to confirm the size, here's the link the vendor sent me to the cap they recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/Center-Pinch-Strong-Springs-Recycled-Plastic/dp/B01J6ZKF6S/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=leica+49mm+lens+cap&qid=1614021736&sr=8-2

so i don't see any 46mm in any of this. perhaps you're still talking about slip on lens hoods and not the bog standard pinch to open type.  /guy

Edited by gteague

13 minutes ago, gteague said:

i'm very confused now. the cap snaps into the filter threads, right? and the filter size is 49mm, right? i don't understand where the 46mm comes from. here's the info from lim's description of the hood which is what i used except i obviously missed the part about the leica 49mm cap being too big:

"- Inner part of Hood are machined convexo-concave to absorb unnecessary light.
Step. 1
To install the hood, remove the front rim ring of the lens by turning it counterclockwise.

Step. 2
Install hood rotating clockwise.
※ When mounted on Leica Q2, the threads are designed to be very tight.
It has to be turned until the end of the thread, the same as genuine Leica Hood. 

Step. 3
It is possible to put the lens cap(cover) to protect lens.(Available for universal 49mm Lens cap)
※ Lens cap is not included

※ The original Leica Lens cap is designed to be larger than universal lens cap so, cannot be installed while LIM'S hood is mounted."

to confirm the size, here's the link the vendor sent me to the cap they recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/Center-Pinch-Strong-Springs-Recycled-Plastic/dp/B01J6ZKF6S/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=leica+49mm+lens+cap&qid=1614021736&sr=8-2

so i don't see any 46mm in any of this. perhaps you're still talking about slip on lens hoods and not the bog standard pinch to open type.  /guy

pardon the dust...yes, the Q2M takes 49mm filters; the center pinch lens cap is 46mm - see attached

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nwphil

that sure does not help my confusion. now i'm convinced you have a mislabeled cap. the filter right beside it is 49mm. the cap snaps into the filter threads, right? are the filter threads not 49mm? if not, it'd be a combo filter step down ring. i know my lens has 49mm threads because i have a leitz 49mm filter on it. and if i wanted to stack a filter i'd need another 49mm, not a 46mm. 

you buy the caps by the thread size it snaps into. the leica cap i bought is 49mm. the one i ordered and that the vendor recommended is 49mm. perhaps the 46mm refers to the inside the pinch with the pinchers extending out the extra 3mm necessary to make it fit. /guy

Edited by gteague