bullmoon

LIM'S has a Q2 hood!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

56 minutes ago, Jared said:

The hood for the Q isn’t deep enough to do a thing for flare.

Your evidence?

Sure.  Here is a pic I just took to illustrate...

Camera bag, camera bag with bright light source outside of frame to top right and shade on, and the same frame without the shade.

I tried moving the light source around to see if there are any angles where the shade is helpful.  There are, but it’s a pretty narrow range. The shade is not quite useless for preventing flare, but it’s awfully close. In the example above the light source was well outside the frame and the Shade didn’t help at all. If the goal was actually to prevent flare and veiling glare the shade should be much deeper.  The included hood is useful primarily to prevent routine knocks and dings.

Obviously, this is a worst case scenario. The Q2 is not particularly prone to flare under normal conditions, even outside shooting into the Sun. But any lens can run into issues with internal reflections if the light is wrong.

Edited by Jared

I hope it's OK to hop onto this thread a little late. I've been enjoying my Q2 for the past couple of months or so now and have kept the hood as well as a clear filter as lens protection. However, a polarising filter arrived today and I quickly realised that it's going to be a complete faff adjusting it with the standard hood attached. The other issue I've had with the standard hood is rain getting onto the lens (no sensible lens cap). So, I'm leaning towards either the LIM or Haoge hood, both of which would allow easy use of a pinch cover and, I'm hoping, easy one-hand rotation of the filter. I'd be grateful if someone could confirm the latter point? (The cheaper Haoge is my preference, given what seem to be the questionable flare benefits of all the hoods.)

Many thanks and greetings from North Hertfordshire, Edinburgh, and the Isle of Tiree. 

Edited by LPS1

Hello LPS1 
I myself also have the Haoge and am very happy with it. The polarising filter is very easy to use.
But what basically bothered me all the time was the eternal screwing and unscrewing of the filters. In my opinion this took too much time. With me it was the change from the protection filter to the polarising filter or to the achromatic for Macro.
In another forum I came across the magnetic filter adapters from Manfrotto. What can I say? Great! Filterholder on the lens, adapters on the filter and the achromat and the change is a piece of cake. Also no vignetting to be seen. Well invested 50 € (1x holder, 3x adapter)
https://smile.amazon.de/gp/product/B01N5976NT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The LIMs provides access to filter. There's plenty of room in the corners but you do need to take some care not to get your fingers on the filter since you are reaching in from the front. I used the Lim's with a pinch-style lens cap.