LIM'S has a Q2 hood!

1 hour ago, guibo said:

Thanks for the pics.

Can you do a photo comparison?

I prefer not to assemble and disassemble this lens hood (to compare with the original one) because it is quite difficult to position correctly. So, once positioned, I prefer not to touch it anymore. 

I hope you understand.  😉

15 hours ago, francipaq said:

I prefer not to assemble and disassemble this lens hood (to compare with the original one) because it is quite difficult to position correctly. So, once positioned, I prefer not to touch it anymore. 

I hope you understand.  😉

The lens hood is very easy to remove or install. A little oil from your face or side of the nose makes the threads work much more smoothly. The hood turns to a stop. There’s no question where the hood stops so it’s square. 

Perhaps I misunderstood. My above comments pertain to the Leica original hood. 

Edited by Leica Guy

1 hour ago, Leica Guy said:

The lens hood is very easy to remove or install. A little oil from your face or side of the nose makes the threads work much more smoothly. The hood turns to a stop. There’s no question where the hood stops so it’s square.

This should have been in the Q2 manual. 😏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just curious.  Anyone tested the flare w/ and w/o hood?  While the hood looks really cool on Q2 (looks better than the LIM hood, which I have a similar one on my RX1), I would prefer the smaller size.  I carried Q2 with just the thread ring a few times, did not see any image degradation.

8 hours ago, vedivv said:

Just curious.  Anyone tested the flare w/ and w/o hood?  While the hood looks really cool on Q2 (looks better than the LIM hood, which I have a similar one on my RX1), I would prefer the smaller size.  I carried Q2 with just the thread ring a few times, did not see any image degradation.

There is no more flare with the LIM'S than with the original lens hood. 
The big advantage of LIM'S is that it allows to disassemble and change the filter without being removed, which does not allow the original lens hood (or with difficulties) ...

6 minutes ago, ronnjay said:

WD-40 has no use near a camera. It is an inferior product. Its only use is on a rusty garden rake!

I would say even more so. It's a penetrating oil and the last thing I want near my camera. 

19 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

I would say even more so. It's a penetrating oil and the last thing I want near my camera. 

As for me, I prefer to dismantle and reassemble the lens hood as little as possible and in any case, I will not use any penetrating product near the lens seals and threads.

The only damage is that the system does not have a locking stop as on the lens hoods for Leica M. This would have been simpler and would have avoided our discussions. 😉
Aaahhh, ...why keep it simple when you can make it complicated and impractical ...😉 😉 😀

Friendly

4 hours ago, francipaq said:

As for me, I prefer to dismantle and reassemble the lens hood as little as possible and in any case, I will not use any penetrating product near the lens seals and threads.

The only damage is that the system does not have a locking stop as on the lens hoods for Leica M. This would have been simpler and would have avoided our discussions. 😉
Aaahhh, ...why keep it simple when you can make it complicated and impractical ...😉 😉 😀

Friendly

Makes sense. The Q / Q2 certainly have a stop for making the hood square. I’m also using an M10M with a 35 ASPH FLE lens and it has a stop. Possibly new M lenses have a stop. I do not know. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Makes sense. The Q / Q2 certainly have a stop for making the hood square. I’m also using an M10M with a 35 ASPH FLE lens and it has a stop. Possibly new M lenses have a stop. I do not know. 

The super Elmar f/3,8 18mm have et stop and i think that all wide angle have now a stop ...

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, antonio m. said:

Hi everybody, I just got the Lims hood and like it very much, but I have two questions here. 

1 I am not able to put it in the right position

2 Which lens cap I can use keeping the hood on ?

Thank you everybody for your help

Hello Antonio, The lens hood is tightened as the original one: by screwing until it is horizontally at the limit of the clamping force.
As for the lens cover, I don't use one. Maybe we should see at Leica if one of the lens cover of the brand could go, but I doubt ...
Edited by francipaq

Mine went to the correct position easier than the stock Leica hood. Maybe use a little face oil from the side of your nose or forehead on the threads. And of course take care not to cross-thread it.

I'm using a Breakthrough Photography pinch-spring lens cap. It is one where the pinch points are on the face of the cap as opposed to the sides. Any pinch-spring cap of this type should work. I'm also using a B+W UV filter, but that shouldn't matter.

• 2 months later...
On 3/14/2020 at 4:15 AM, Macberg said:

Well, the wider Summilux-M-lenses come with that hood (with a cutout for the viewfinder) already, don't they?
I personally would feel a bit uneasy while using the LIM's hood - you look like a wannabe-M-user...why did they do that? I'm not a fan of features (like that hole) that don't have a function other than ridiculously pretending that your gear is something more expensive. It's like putting a roof spoiler on your 90 horsepower car to make people think it is a racing car - just not my thing. (Of course, I know that the comparison of our beloved Qs and Q2s with a 90 hp car is poor...😉)
I guess it would have even been a bit cheaper if they had left away the silly wannabe-M-cutout - then I might have been interested. So far, using my polarizer hasn't been enough of a problem to buy that thing...

The hole has a purpose just as it does on the rangefinder. It doesn’t share the purpose of viewfinder clearance but the secondary purpose as described by Leica themselves is, as seen below, to offer access for a finger to adjust the filter. 

I was surprised when I found it and thought I’d offer that, as this seems to be an intention that has slipped through the cracks of the vast knowledge contained in these forums. 

Cheers!

Warren

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I’m a bit confused... I’m sure it’s a very stylish hood, but is that it’s only purpose? To be a style improvement on the original hood?

Let’s face it. Hoods for Leica cameras do nothing with regard to flare.  They are necessarily small (historically) in order to leave the viewfinder clear. So, their purpose is to protect the lens from knocks and fingerprints.  That’s it. That’s all they do.

So far so good. Several posters on this thread seem to use their hoods in conjunction with filters. Isn’t that a belt-and-suspenders sort of situation? I thought the purpose of a clear or UV filter in the digital era was essentially the same as the hood—protect against bumps and fingerprints. Polarizers, neutral density filters, gradients and the like all add an additional purpose, but they still protect against accidents.

Why would one want both a hood and a filter at the same time? Is it just the look?

1 hour ago, Jared said:

I’m a bit confused... I’m sure it’s a very stylish hood, but is that it’s only purpose? To be a style improvement on the original hood?

Let’s face it. Hoods for Leica cameras do nothing with regard to flare.  They are necessarily small (historically) in order to leave the viewfinder clear. So, their purpose is to protect the lens from knocks and fingerprints.  That’s it. That’s all they do.

So far so good. Several posters on this thread seem to use their hoods in conjunction with filters. Isn’t that a belt-and-suspenders sort of situation? I thought the purpose of a clear or UV filter in the digital era was essentially the same as the hood—protect against bumps and fingerprints. Polarizers, neutral density filters, gradients and the like all add an additional purpose, but they still protect against accidents.

Why would one want both a hood and a filter at the same time? Is it just the look?

You are confused. The Q2 is not a rangefinder camera, so the hood cannot block the viewfinder.

The primary purpose of the hood is to reduce the risk of flare. Protection of the lens is a secondary - indeed unintended - feature.

I am sure most here know that Leica make an excellent hood for the Q2. Why buy elsewhere.

• Like 3

On 8/31/2020 at 8:37 AM, Viv said:

You are confused. The Q2 is not a rangefinder camera, so the hood cannot block the viewfinder.

The primary purpose of the hood is to reduce the risk of flare. Protection of the lens is a secondary - indeed unintended - feature.

I am sure most here know that Leica make an excellent hood for the Q2. Why buy elsewhere.

Yes, I own a Q2. I know it can’t block the (nonexistent) rangefinder. That’s why I said “historically.” What I meant was that Leica hoods are generally far too small to actually serve the primary purpose of protecting against flare. They always have been. The small size was necessary on M cameras due to the rangefinder. The style has carried over to the Q. The hood for the Q isn’t deep enough to do a thing for flare. Most Leica hoods only serve the secondary purpose of protecting the lens from bumps and fingerprints.

Edited by Jared