LIM'S has a Q2 hood!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And not just a Leica knock-off.  It is somewhere between the stock hood and the Overgaard hood.  Or like an M 35mm Summilux hood with the little cut-out that serves no purpose on the Q/Q2 that I can see - a nod to nostalgia - good for them.

What is good about it:

- Fits perfectly and screws on to line up exactly on the same threads as stock hood.

- same depth as stock hood, so same protection for the lens for non-clear-filter shooters

- has a larger opening which makes adjusting a polarizer easier - that's probably the main upside

- also the larger opening makes using a 49mm squeeze lens cap easier

- looks great as would be expected from LIM's  - light weight aluminum too

- still fits in the Leica neoprene case and Ettas pouch - maybe even better in the Ettas than with the stock hood and cap.

The bad:

- costs more than the Leica hood - wow - surprising!

- can't use Q2 size hood caps - need to use the 49mm cap - so I'm a little torn about setting my Match Tech rubber hood aside :( 

Have not had an opportunity to compare the shading effectiveness to the stock hood, but I like it and should be handy when using a polarizer.

http://limsdesign.com/product/detail.html?product_no=201&cate_no=12&display_group=1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Probably more of cosmetic value...but, it looks like a Leica finally!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to keep my original lens hood safe (given the cost of getting a new one and angst involved for anal people like me when the original gets banged about). So instead of using day to day in situations in which it might become damaged, I bought a cheap after-market one on eBay. The difficulty was not in finding one to fit, but rather in finding one that ooked good enough to put on a Leica Q without making it look silly. The usual cheap vented hoods do not look good on a camera like the Q or Q2 but I found a thin version of the normal cheap vented hood that is actually very nice (having bought one before for another lens). From memory it cost a the same as the other cheap ones I referred to above. It is well made and at about $5 a steal. It even looks suitably nice when mounted on the camera due to its slender depth which somehow complements the Leica lens. In addition to the Lim's model, other rectangular metal ones are also available at various prices much about this one but still cheaper than the original Leica hood (and equivalents). Though I must say the Lim's hood looks very well.

Link to the one I bought.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slim-New-metal-vented-Lens-49mm-thin-wide-angle-Hood-cap-Screw-in-Leica-M/162459404203?hash=item25d355c7ab:g:uB4AAOSw4PBd-I2q

• Like 1

Am 21.2.2020 um 11:02 schrieb jaapv:

Looks nice. Might it fit one of the wideangle Summiluxes M as well? That should explain the cutout. Worth investigating.

Well, the wider Summilux-M-lenses come with that hood (with a cutout for the viewfinder) already, don't they?
I personally would feel a bit uneasy while using the LIM's hood - you look like a wannabe-M-user...why did they do that? I'm not a fan of features (like that hole) that don't have a function other than ridiculously pretending that your gear is something more expensive. It's like putting a roof spoiler on your 90 horsepower car to make people think it is a racing car - just not my thing. (Of course, I know that the comparison of our beloved Qs and Q2s with a 90 hp car is poor...😉)
I guess it would have even been a bit cheaper if they had left away the silly wannabe-M-cutout - then I might have been interested. So far, using my polarizer hasn't been enough of a problem to buy that thing...

Edited by Macberg
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, peterm1_Leica said:

Key difference between this and the LIMs and Haoge is that this screws into the 49mm filter thread, whereas the other two screw onto the hood thread on the Q/Q2 like the OEM hood.  The Haoge is well made, functional, and not a bad price.  LIMs is a bit over the top and I get the "wannabe" criticism, but it does look nice and I could really care less about the hole or no hole as most people have no idea about that and if they do, I still don't care - might be a fun conversation starter, best case.

• Like 2

@bullmoon Fair enough - maybe I should stop worrying so much, there are enough other things to think about at the moment...😉

I really do think, however, that the original hood is a masterpiece of design already and I really like to keep and use it!

Edited by Macberg
  • Like 1

Anyone have difficulty with the OEM hood for the Q2 being very tight to screw on all the way?  I did, and I fixed it by wiping a dab of silicone spray from a cloth onto the threads of the hood (not the lens). Now it screws on easily, but very firmly.  Just thought I would pass that on.

Personally, I have no interest in the third party hoods, but I'm glad that there is a choice available.

Edited by robgo2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, robgo2 said:

Anyone have difficulty with the OEM hood for the Q2 being very tight to screw on all the way?  I did, and I fixed it by wiping a dab of silicone spray from a cloth onto the threads of the hood (not the lens). Now it screws on easily, but very firmly.  Just thought I would pass that on.

Personally, I have no interest in the third party hoods, but I'm glad that there is a choice available.

This has been covered many times on the forum. A little oil from the side of your nose spread on the hood threads and it will greatly improves putting it on or taking it off. An old recipe that photographers have used for many decades. No, I’m not kidding. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leica Guy said:

This has been covered many times on the forum. A little oil from the side of your nose spread on the hood threads and it will greatly improves putting it on or taking it off. An old recipe that photographers have used for many decades. No, I’m not kidding. 

I guess I missed those threads.  Nevertheless, silicone spray is so much cooler, IMO. 😀

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, robgo2 said:

I guess I missed those threads.  Nevertheless, silicone spray is so much cooler, IMO. 😀

I would be reluctant to use silicon spray only because it’s a pain to remove. Glad it’s working for you though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

I would be reluctant to use silicon spray only because it’s a pain to remove. Glad it’s working for you though. 

I sprayed only a dab on a cloth and then wiped the cloth over the threads of the hood. There is no spread to the lens itself, other than its threads, and hence, nothing to remove. For those who prefer to use an oily substance, WD-40 is supposedly made from fish oil, though I cannot guarantee that to be a fact.

13 hours ago, Siriusone59 said:

Must be a generational thing, spend money for something "cool" when the solution is free. 🤑

I am probably older than you. 🙂 In any event, I didn't spend any money at all, as I already had silicone spray that I use for more typical purposes.

Nose oil, how gross. 😝

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

My LIMS is just arrived (for Q2). Excellent quality and very good adaptation to; take the Leica hood place 👍

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1