And another use for the TL - under water

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just thought one up: underwater camera. I have ordered an EWA-Marine underwater housing (Typ DB) for the TL. Rated for 20 m, my five max should not present any problem :) Although it will be early autumn before I will go on a two-week snorkeling tour, it will give me time to try it out.

The excellent LCD should make life a lot easier than the small one on the Olympus XZ-1 in underwater housing that I have been using until now, and the image quality should be magnitudes better.

Just as a technical illustration, one of the Olympus shots that I took over the years and would have been better with a TL :( .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion! I've got an orphan original T sitting around (bought very (very) cheaply from Red Dot to try out and later ended up with a TL2+11-23+Viso as a small architecture camera). A cheap zone-focussed CV on the M-adapter might be fun assuming I can work out the underwater dof....Any idea if the weedy built-in flash will be of any use underwater?

1 hour ago, NigelG said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I've got an orphan original T sitting around (bought very (very) cheaply from Red Dot to try out and later ended up with a TL2+11-23+Viso as a small architecture camera). A cheap zone-focussed CV on the M-adapter might be fun assuming I can work out the underwater dof....Any idea if the weedy built-in flash will be of any use underwater?

That would depend on the depth, I suppose. Under water a flash is  mainly useful to supplement the blue light. Strong on-camera flash will create a snow-storm. Off- camera video light is much better. I used a small Lume Cube on the shot above - it sufficed.
I will go for AF on the 18-56. Manual focusing would be a bit of a nightmare.

• jaapv changed the title to And another use for the TL - under water

I think it will also depend on how the housing fits around the camera to some degree - 

What would be good is to know if the rear touch screen works through the housing - their iPhone case says that the touch screen still works. I'm just wondering if the T would then be able to be used by tapping the rear screen with a thumb to shoot when held out at arm's length....rather than fiddling with the "finger glove".

19 hours ago, jaapv said:

I just thought one up: underwater camera. I have ordered an EWA-Marine underwater housing (Typ DB) for the TL. Rated for 20 m, my five max should not present any problem :) Although it will be early autumn before I will go on a two-week snorkeling tour, it will give me time to try it out.

The excellent LCD should make life a lot easier than the small one on the Olympus XZ-1 in underwater housing that I have been using until now, and the image quality should be magnitudes better.

Just as a technical illustration, one of the Olympus shots that I took over the years and would have been better with a TL :( .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Cichlids!! My favorite. I used to be an avid collector of Rift Lake Cichlids. They are amazing creatures.

Lake Malawi at the Nyasa side. Manda Wilderness is the only pristine environment left. I will snorkel there for two weeks in October. Thousands of them all around you. The lake contains over 750 species, many not yet described and named. What about a Cichlidia Baggsia? 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Louis said:

I do have a EWA underwater bag that I used some years ago with my Nikon film camera. But I never dared to use it with T or CL. I wonder if that plastic quality of the case and its rubber closing parts get deteriorated with years and let the water come into! 

The pressure difference is zero. Unlike a rigid housing. 

• Like 1