Can't find Ilford Gold Fibre Silk in 8.5x11 size

wparsonsgisnet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is going on with Ilford and paper sizes in the US?  I have been using Gold Fibre Silk in the 8.5x11 size (as well as rolls) for some time now, following many recommendations on this forum.  The 8.5x11 size is no longer available anywhere.  I see A4, but no US sizes.  What is this, ILFEXIT?  Does anyone know where to find the 8.5x11 paper?

Many thanks,  Bill

Hi, Andy.  How nice to hear from you.  I bot a box of 50 and will check out the Ilford site.  Hunt's has a reputation for selling gray goods (I wouldn't buy hardware from them) so I hope these are not expired papers.  I'll update when the box arrives.  Many thanks and best wishes,  Bill

• Like 1

By the way -- I sadly report that two (2!!) camera stores just closed in the Boston area.  About the end of the year we lost Bromfield Camera (where I was a customer for 45 years) and Newtonville Camera (probably 20 years).  Last year (or the one before) EP Livine's went (30 years).  

This Amazon thing that I use ... is doing in retailers at a fast clip.  I believe that the US lost 8,000 retail stores in 2018 and maybde 9,000 in 2019.  In addition, the stores where I shop are limiting their stock offerings.  This has very bad implications for manufacturers (read Leica).  If there is no shelf space, no one will buy product and the makers will stop.  As an example (everyone pay attention, now), I have been buying an AMAZING yogurt called Erivan that I can no longer find.  it's made in Pennsylvania; no place in easter Massachusetts offers this product.  You would have to taste this yogurt to believe it.  It is a True Analog for a Leica rangefinder and lenses.  If you haven't used these Leica products, you wouldn't believe them.

How will we live in the future without honest newspapers, honest products, ... need I go on.

A dismal best to all,  Bill

35 minutes ago, wparsonsgisnet said:

Hi, Andy.  How nice to hear from you.  I bot a box of 50 and will check out the Ilford site.  Hunt's has a reputation for selling gray goods (I wouldn't buy hardware from them) so I hope these are not expired papers.  I'll update when the box arrives.  Many thanks and best wishes,  Bill

Bill

Given that I found them through the Ilford website, I would expect the papers to be good. 

Good luck!

Gold Fibre Silk has changed various times, with its demise feared more than once.  Except for a remaining stock of the original GFS, I've replaced it with Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique, which although more expensive, is better and more consistent, with a very similar profile.

That said, GFS is available through B&H.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, Jeff.  I'm going to try some of this.  I just ordered a box of 25-8.5x11's.  I'm glad to hear the supply is good, that you like it better, and that it turned out to be a little cheaper than the Ilford.  Non c'e male.

Best regards,  Bill

• Like 1

I have had some communications from Ilford to the effect that there an unexpected supply problem caused the shortage of GFS.  Got my fingers crossed.  This paper was their 2nd-best selling product.

I am waiting to see how the box that is coming from Hunt's looks and to try the Canson Infinity Baryta.

Watch this space, as we 'Muricans say.   Bill

B&H just changed their GFS listings to ‘Discontinued’. Not the first time.  And if it resumes, the formula might change... again... last time there was a problem with tinting.  Even based on the original GFS, which I loved, I prefer Canson IBP.

Jeff

P800.  But, assuming you use ImagePrint (Black version or IP10), any supported printer would suffice, as all the Canson paper profiles are available.  They are very popular, and IP includes almost all papers, and even if they don’t, they’ll custom profile a paper for you for free.

Jeff

Jeff, I ran comparison prints of an image using the Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique and Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.  Both were printed on 8.5x11, using Image Print and the Epson P800.  The colors are so similar that I'm glad I labelled the paper when it came out of the printer (kudo's to Colorbyte's Image Print).  It's nice to have 2 papers that are interchangable.

Thanks for introducing me to this paper.  I'm going to work with it.

Best,  Bill