M10-D password wrong-HELP!

tomconte

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a new M10-D and its printed wireless password sticker is WRONG.

It's listed as 25503308, but that doesn't work either via the Fotos app or trying to directly connect to it.

I've tried a password cracker, buy it takes 30 seconds to a minute for each attempt.

With 100,000,000 combinations, that's not going to cut it.

Sent email to Leica, but they just said the usual "reboot your phone" "remove and replace the battery," etc, that I know will not help.

Lest you think I'm a noob to networking, I'm a CS professor.

Does anyone have any ideas how to help?

Is there a way to get the camera to write out its password to the SD card?

At wits end...

Tom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

In case you got an Apple Notebook or so, try the free LeicaSync app

https://transienteye.com/software/

Then you can connect your camera without  password to the computer. It doesn't solve your trouble, but helps you to identify the cause - either WIFI malfunction or wrong password supplied.

I'll try it, but how does it connect to a WPA/PSK secured wifi AP without a password? That sounds... Impossible to me. 

Thanks for your help 

Tom 

I assume that this relates to Leica FOTOS. I am sure that you could give Leica a D - for its FOTOS App. I tried it with my M10 when it first came out. It did not work connectivity-wise. The previous M App did, but I did not ever use that. I then asked myself if I would ever use the FOTOS App and the answer was no, so I just forgot about it. I know that the M10-D is a different beast, but I never ever missed having an app for my LTM and film M models. There is a new section on the Forum relating to Leica FOTOS and the various issues relating thereto. You may find some help there.

Leica badly needs to up its game on such features, if customers are to use them. I'm happy without them.

William

• Like 1

vor 3 Minuten schrieb tomconte:

I'll try it, but how does it connect to a WPA/PSK secured wifi AP without a password? That sounds... Impossible to me. 

It should work, switch the WiFi function of the camera on, wait around 30sec and then select the camera - should be shown as Leica M10 in the "available networks" section of the computer.

4 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

It should work, switch the WiFi function of the camera on, wait around 30sec and then select the camera - should be shown as Leica M10 in the "available networks" section of the computer.

No it won't let me connect to the camera w/o the correct password.  Just tried it.

10 minutes ago, willeica said:

I assume that this relates to Leica FOTOS. I am sure that you could give Leica a D - for its FOTOS App. I tried it with my M10 when it first came out. It did not work connectivity-wise. The previous M App did, but I did not ever use that. I then asked myself if I would ever use the FOTOS App and the answer was no, so I just forgot about it. I know that the M10-D is a different beast, but I never ever missed having an app for my LTM and film M models. There is a new section on the Forum relating to Leica FOTOS and the various issues relating thereto. You may find some help there.

Leica badly needs to up its game on such features, if customers are to use them. I'm happy without them.

William

While I agree that FOTOS is crap, it isn't FOTOS that's to blame here.  Leica put the wrong password for the camera's wifi network on its sticker.

What's more, I used a QR reader and it's also the wrong (same) password in the QR code.

So at the factory someone screwed up.

• Thanks 1

So, it is not the WiFi functionality, but finally the wrong password. That is too bad, there is certainly another victim - the one who got or will get a camera with your password....

I do not know how they create their passwords, by random or in a sequence, try just by changing the last digit from 9 to 9?

Unfortunately, no further ideas from my side. Do have a dealer in Atlanta whim you could consult directly?

Have you tried to connect to the camera on different devices?

I've had a problem with my iPhone once where it didn't want to connect to the M10 SSID while the password was correct, while my MacBook was able to connect. After a reset of the network settings on the phone (which clears all networking related data, incl passwords for known SSID's) everything worked fine.

Reset network settings can be found under: Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

N.B. Use it at your own risk, cause selecting the wrong one may result in an empty phone.

1 hour ago, tomconte said:

Thanks for your help 

Tom 

Tom, I just tried AndreasG's suggestion and LeicaSync does connect to my M10-D without having to enter a password. Just ensure that your Mac, ( assuming you are on a Mac ), is connected to the MD's Wifi Network by choosing it via the WiFi icon in the Mac's top menu bar., it doesn't connect through your or any other WiFi network..........It worked with mine just now and that's the first time of using LeicaSync.

Of course it doesn't solve your problem of not being able to connect with Fotos. Like quite a few others I had problems with Fotos and even now after getting it to work I use it rarely. Once the camera is configured to your liking you, like me, may well ignore Fotos too. It's not Leica's best effort.

One other thing.....assuming this is your first time trying to connect your M10-D to Fotos be aware that it takes quite a long time for the iPhone to recognise the camera, the Wifi from the camera isn't fully functioning until after the green flashing LED light stops blinking.

Edited by petermullett

1 minute ago, petermullett said:

Tom, I just tried AndreasG's suggestion and LeicaSync does connect to my M10-D without having to enter a password. Just ensure that your Mac, ( assuming you are on a Mac ), is connected to the MD's Wifi Network by choosing it via the WiFi icon in the Mac's top menu bar., it doesn't connect through your or any other WiFi network..........It worked with mine just now and that's the first time of using LeicaSync.

Of course it doesn't solve your problem of not being able to connect with Fotos. Like quite a few others I had problems with Fotos and even now after getting it to work I use it rarely. Once the camera is configured to your liking you, like me, may well ignore Fotos too. It's not Leica's best effort.

When I try, it asks for the password.  You must have already connected to the M10-D at some point and MacOS saved the password.

1 minute ago, tomconte said:

When I try, it asks for the password.  You must have already connected to the M10-D at some point and MacOS saved the password.

No, this is my first time with LeicaSync, no password request. This is odd.

18 minutes ago, tomconte said:

Tom, by way of a second test I just tried LeicaSync again but this time with my new M10-M, this camera has never been connected to this or any other of my Macs. After finding and selecting the Leica's WiFi network It connected just fine without having to put in a password, but it does take a good minute or so for the Wifi to initiate on the Leica and connect with the Mac, this is pathetically normal I am afraid.

1 hour ago, willeica said:

William

Whatever your view on the Fotos App, you can't change camera settings on the M10-D without it.  Yes, with M10 or M10-P you can just ignore it, but not so easy with the D.  Surely, Leica Customer Services has an obligation to fix this.

• Like 1

Ok, I'll try again when I get home. 

It's cold comfort, though, since I need to connect with Fotos in order to change parameters of the M10-D, which is one of its major advantages over the M60 / M-D. 

Ultimately, its going to have to get sent to Leica for service (or replacement). 

Tom 

vor 5 Minuten schrieb T25UFO:

Whatever your view on the Fotos App, you can't change camera settings on the M10-D without it.

This is definitely the weak point of the M10-D (I also own the M10-D), but the good thing is, if once set up, no need to change the parameters, unless you play around with them.