Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 Aspherical III VM lens announced

padam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/15/2020 at 8:50 AM, raphael said:

At f/1.2 it is a bit soft and has a glow, especially at low distances. But who shoots at f/1.2 at 0.5m distance with a rangefinder?
Sharpness from f/2.8 is incredible.

Thank you so much for post photos, details, and your opinion. I have just one tricky question because I also have the Zeiss 2.8/35. Does it make sense to have a super-fast lens that doesn't perform well at a wide aperture? I'm asking you because I'm in a situation where I would love to upgrade my lens.

My ZM 2.8/35 performs very well, it's very sharp with no optical limitations. I just don't like the aesthetic, the 1/3 stops aperture, the tiny focus tab (I prefer the classic Leica tab or no tab such as the 50 Cron). And mine, it rattles. But it performs super well, and I'm happy with the final images, although I don't enjoy so much the process.
I'm more a 2.8/5.6/11 shooter, I don't usually use fast aperture. But I like the shallow DOP for some purpose and, in some cases, could be very helpful, right? I have in my wishlist the 35 Summicron, I never tried, but f/2 would be more than enough for me, and amazing partner for my 50 Cron. If I get a 35 Cron, I don't need my Zeiss anymore, I guess.

So, sometimes I feel that I can just keep and use the Zeiss (despite the things I don't like) and get another fast lens such as The 35 CV 1.2 III. Just spend $1,000, and you have everything you want: a super sharp lens, small and light as the Zeiss, plus a fast lens when you need it. But then I saw the glow at 1.2, and I'm thinking why to spend $1k on this. Do you know what I mean?
If I get a new 35 Cron, I could sell the Zeiss, but I'm still putting on the table $3k. It's a lot. Does it worth it? This is the big question. My mind and heart (no my wallet) is saying that the Summicron would be the perfect

It's so hard 😩At least you buy all lenses and shoot with whatever you want when you want 🙂 , But it's no my case. 
What do you think? 

Edited by Dennis

10 hours ago, bchalifour said:

Hi Dennis,

I have a 35 mm Summicron but since I got the Voigtlander Nokton III (f 1.2) I use the latter just because of the extra 2 stops 1/2 if gives me in low available light and the shallow depth of field it allows me to play with. At f 2.8 I think it must perform just like your Zeiss. So... 

It makes sense. Once you really need a fast lens, you use the 35 CV 1.2 III. But if you have to choose only one lens between the Cron and the CV, for travel, or for other reasons that let you bring only one glass, which one you opt for?

On 4/15/2020 at 2:18 PM, raphael said:

f/2.8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

f/4.0

You could try focusing on the ears with your sonnar at f2.8?       just kidding.

5 hours ago, Dennis said:

It makes sense. Once you really need a fast lens, you use the 35 CV 1.2 III. But if you have to choose only one lens between the Cron and the CV, for travel, or for other reasons that let you bring only one glass, which one you opt for?

Right now, I am taking the Voigtlander, its wide aperture gives me more versatility.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 1:58 AM, Dennis said:

Thank you so much for post photos, details, and your opinion. I have just one tricky question because I also have the Zeiss 2.8/35. Does it make sense to have a super-fast lens that doesn't perform well at a wide aperture? I'm asking you because I'm in a situation where I would love to upgrade my lens.

My ZM 2.8/35 performs very well, it's very sharp with no optical limitations. I just don't like the aesthetic, the 1/3 stops aperture, the tiny focus tab (I prefer the classic Leica tab or no tab such as the 50 Cron). And mine, it rattles. But it performs super well, and I'm happy with the final images, although I don't enjoy so much the process.
I'm more a 2.8/5.6/11 shooter, I don't usually use fast aperture. But I like the shallow DOP for some purpose and, in some cases, could be very helpful, right? I have in my wishlist the 35 Summicron, I never tried, but f/2 would be more than enough for me, and amazing partner for my 50 Cron. If I get a 35 Cron, I don't need my Zeiss anymore, I guess.

So, sometimes I feel that I can just keep and use the Zeiss (despite the things I don't like) and get another fast lens such as The 35 CV 1.2 III. Just spend $1,000, and you have everything you want: a super sharp lens, small and light as the Zeiss, plus a fast lens when you need it. But then I saw the glow at 1.2, and I'm thinking why to spend $1k on this. Do you know what I mean?
If I get a new 35 Cron, I could sell the Zeiss, but I'm still putting on the table $3k. It's a lot. Does it worth it? This is the big question. My mind and heart (no my wallet) is saying that the Summicron would be the perfect

It's so hard 😩At least you buy all lenses and shoot with whatever you want when you want 🙂 , But it's no my case. 
What do you think? 

I do can follow your thoughts, and I guess no one here can perfectly answer your questions.

I had the 8-blades version of the 35 Cron ASPH. I didn't like the busy bokeh. Other than that it is an incredible lens. The newer version has 11 blades which should improve the bokeh. You'll probably find some example shots on this page: https://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/gallery/m-mastershots.html

I bought the Nokton 35mm 1.2 III because I want to do environmental full body portraits. I love Alec Soth's photographs. He uses a 300mm f/9 lens on 8x10 which equals to a 35mm f/1.1 lens on 135 format ("full frame"), considering the 3:2 ratio cropped to 5:4.

At that distance of a full body portrait with the lens wide open, I think the Nokton III performs absolutely acceptable. I don't need to see each pore, I just want to make the people look beautiful. And as I said, at f/2.8 it performs a little bit better than the C-Biogon. Without having tested I could imagine that the Nokton III can also challenge the Summicron 35 at f/2. Depending on your print size you will not see *much* of a difference.

Pricewise the Nokton 35mm 1.2 III makes a lot of sense if you want a faster lens.
But if you want a faster lens than the C-Biogon which is not bigger at the same time, or if you already fell in love with the Cron and you can afford it, the Nokton is not for you.

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mother Nature defacing a wall

Leica M10, CV 35/1.2 III

• Like 11

5 hours ago, raphael said:

Pricewise the Nokton 35mm 1.2 III makes a lot of sense if you want a faster lens.
But if you want a faster lens than the C-Biogon which is not bigger at the same time, or if you already fell in love with the Cron and you can afford it, the Nokton is not for you

Got it. I can't afford nothing at this time 😂 but it makes sense what you are saying. And It makes sense also having other lenses of the same FL, which wasn't a few years ago when SLR and DSLR was my only world. I can feel very confortable with the size, weight and performance of a 35 Summarit or Summicron, shooting at f/5.6 or f/2.8 all the time. And once I need a fast aperture, I can switch to a 35 CV 1.2.

Anyways, we always need to invest 

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, bchalifour said:

Thanks. I did review this page. Understand that the lens configuration on the V3 is completely different from that of the V1 and V2 to enable size reduction. Apparently Voigtlander is progressively changing lens configurations to better target the Sony and other more popular mirrorless cameras. While there is a lot of discussion on body size reduction here and elsewhere, I haven't seen any direct image comparisons between the older V2 and the newer V3. You mentioned sharpness and vignetting briefly. Wondered if you can post side by side comparisons.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would love to see a size comparison of the Summilux 35 and VC 35 III when mounted on a body. 

When VC 50 1.2 (similiar new optical design like 35 1.2 III) was released, I compared it with Summilux 50 asph. As a result I sold the Summilux and kept the voigtlander because of smoother bokeh (no onion rings at 1.4 and at 2.8 no ninja star shaped bokeh; almost no difference in sharpness and contrast).

Now I am thinking of buying the 35 1.2 III because I think it has the same advantages over the Summilux.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Am 15.4.2020 um 16:52 schrieb raphael:

Panic buying

Leica M10, Voigtländer Nokton 1.2/35 V3 @ f/1.2

Thank you for the photo :)

Thats the look I want. Can't decide between the CV 35 1.2 or the new apo lanthar 35 2.0

But I guess I'll choose the CV 35 1.2 now. Full Body shots @f/1.2 are just awesome. The rendering is beautiful. 

Apo Lanthar is maybe better in sharpness and especially the corners but I guess the CV 1.2 is still fine.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Alberti said:

And I like the Monochrom results that I have seen here and there.

Example with M10M - I have found the combination to be excellent.

• Like 8

On 6/15/2020 at 7:28 AM, Paolou Pigini said:

Anyone tried it adapted to any L-Mount camera?

Here's a photo using the Voigt 35mm f/.12 III @ 1.4 on my SL2-S (correction made - shot at 1.4)

Full Moon - 

Edited by OR120
sp
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since I used this lens, so fitted it to my M11 yesterday for a walk around Westonbirt Arboretum (UK).

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 3