White balance kelvin values

JeTexas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know the exact kelvin values of the white balance options on the M typ 240? Or is there a way to see the actual kelvin value when it's on auto white balance? When shooting multi-camera video I'd like to be able to dial my second camera in as close as possible to match it. 

Ahh, I'm going to sound like an utter moron, but I never realized you can scroll down past the preset options and do the grey card setting or just choose the kelvin number. I guess that problem is solved. I've got a second-hand SL on the way, and I'm looking forward to using that for my primary video camera, but I wanted to keep using the M as my secondary, and I want to match the colors as closely as possible to minimize grading in post.

Or, get a proper white balance target, the 18% great card is not a white balance target. Whibal is a good example of a neutral target, see whibal.com. Easy to use with Leicas, mind you, I rarely see the need for using it for my work, but when I do, it is great to have that and get my two Leica bodies synchronized for white balance.  

• 2 weeks later...

Kelvin values are a convenient way to express the spectral content of illuminants, but only to some degree. Many light sources do not have a light output which can be expressed in K. Most mixed light sources can't be described in K either. So in post you may have to do substantial adjusting and the ascribed K value should be considered merely a 'suggested' or 'nearest match' starting point.

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1