Slow Speed Eccentricity!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have acquired a iiif which hasn't been used for some time but appears to be in excellent condition. But some slow speeds were occasionally but not invariably not running correctly - shutter would open but not close until the winder was advanced. The escapement was not running at every attempt,  notably on 1 sec.. I repeatedly operated the shutter on the slow speeds and now the slow speeds invariably work correctly with the escapement sounding fine. As far as I can judge all the speeds seem accurate (comparing with another Leica and/or a watch). But I have found a curiosity. Now I do not make a habit of operating the camera upside down but I have found that 1 sec will not operate with the camera inverted - I have to wind on to close the shutter. 1/2 sec upwards is fine upside down. All speeds are  OK with the camera in portrait position. I know that this is a frivolous query (for who uses their cameras upside down?) but any ideas why this should be so? OK I could get the camera serviced but being a not wealthy pensioner I would prefer to avoid this. Obviously I avoid the problem by not attempting to use the camera upside down ....

I hope my post does not seem too frivolous, but I am curious as to what is going on!

29 minutes ago, Collieslave said:

I have acquired a iiif which hasn't been used for some time but appears to be in excellent condition. But some slow speeds were occasionally but not invariably not running correctly - shutter would open but not close until the winder was advanced. The escapement was not running at every attempt,  notably on 1 sec.. I repeatedly operated the shutter on the slow speeds and now the slow speeds invariably work correctly with the escapement sounding fine. As far as I can judge all the speeds seem accurate (comparing with another Leica and/or a watch). But I have found a curiosity. Now I do not make a habit of operating the camera upside down but I have found that 1 sec will not operate with the camera inverted - I have to wind on to close the shutter. 1/2 sec upwards is fine upside down. All speeds are  OK with the camera in portrait position. I know that this is a frivolous query (for who uses their cameras upside down?) but any ideas why this should be so? OK I could get the camera serviced but being a not wealthy pensioner I would prefer to avoid this. Obviously I avoid the problem by not attempting to use the camera upside down ....

I hope my post does not seem too frivolous, but I am curious as to what is going on!

Slow speeds (which I never use myself) are usually the first things to go in a camera that needs servicing. If you need the slow speeds you will have to have the camera serviced. If you only use 'normal speeds' then you can continue to use them until the probable cause (thickening lubricant as mentioned by jankap) catches up with them as well.

William

• Like 2

As mentioned above a good CLA shall cure it. There is a tiny spring, it shall push a rod down to couple the second curtain with escape. If camera is upside down than there is additionally the weight of the rod which the spring needs to overcome, it needs to push the rod up. So either cleaning in this area or to increase the force of the spring. I would think rather the first, as you had problems with operations in normal position.

Edited by jerzy
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another cause of slow-speed eccentricity happens within the slow-speed escapement assembly.

Alan Starkie, at Camera works, Bury, has serviced one of my 3f's.  He replaced the whole escapement.

There is inside it a small double gear, a large gear with a smaller co-axial one attached by virtue of a spigot

extended from the small gear and pressed into the larger wheel, it relies entirely on the friction of the press fitting.

If the small wheel loses some friction it can slip irregularly and cause precisely that problem.

D.Lox.

• Like 1