Leica IIf - accessory added at the bottom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My friend has recently bought a Leica IIf.

It looks like regular camera of this type but bottom plate where something was added. Now Leica does not want to stand, falls down on a lens if it is attached.

What is this ? 

Is this added in Leitz manufacture or somhere else ?

What do you suggest, to remove this and try to go back to original condition of the camera or leave it as it is ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My guess is that it's some 'home made' accessory for mounting the camera on a stand or tripod of some sort. Not a Leica fitment.

It appears from the photos that you can't remove it without damaging or leaving holes in the baseplate - if that is the case I would leave it alone or look for another base plate. 

I have a flash attachment on the base of a grey IIIc. It will not allow the camera to be used, but the camera will work if I attach another base-plate. I would not start messing around with this, which is an interesting item, in itself. Doing anything with it might damage the base-plate and leave holes which would cause light leaks. If your friend does not like using the camera with this base-plate, replacement base-plates should be available online. He should just make sure that he gets one that will fit an f series camera. He should hold onto this interesting base-plate. I lean more towards the flash attachment idea myself.

William

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This seems to be the same thing, though the ebay description must be wrong, as it doesn't match the SELSY or SELIS in jc_braconi's link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Leitz-SELIS-SELSY-Flash-Bracket-Base-Plate-for-IIc-IIf-IIIc-IIIf/193305245039

But at least this shows it's not a one-off.

• Thanks 1

Its the BUNOO Wetzlar baseplate for the IIIc. Holds the flash and provides syncronization. You don't need the syncronization with the IIIF, but could be handy to hold the old flash head.  A newer flash unit would be easier to use.  The BUNOO was launched in 1939, but longer units were made for the later IIIc.  With the F cameras, external syncronization was no longer needed. Here are a few I have, they came with a small metal slide to cover the dovetail when not is use.  They were more common in Europe as New York marketed their own version (s) in the US.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...