Second portrait camera to complement Leica Q

4 hours ago, nicci78 said:

No need to fight the X-Trans sensor in Lightroom. Even though Adobe is now using AI to figure out how to demosaic it. But it is not perfect. Use CaptureOne for better results with them. 

I disagree :) I get really good result with my XT3 RAW file in lightroom. As long as you're careful with sharpening. I really don't like CaptureOne workflow and UI but YMMV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duoenboge said:

@Old Chou.

A little bit different idea:

Olympus EM-5 Mark3 + Zuiko 1.8/75mm. Try it and you will wonder. Small, lightweight, nice eye AF, very sharp, beautifully bokeh. 

75mm is very nice. But too long. I seldom use at the time I used to own Olympus cameras. 
But nowadays I have hard time to advise into investing in m4/3. The system is quite good. It may be stuck forever at 20MP. Leica M lenses do not play well at all with them. 
Today Fujifilm X is a way better choice for crop cameras. If you don’t want to go to Leica’s.
But I think that it is better to invest into dual sensor size mounts such as Leica-Panasonic-Sigma L-mount, Sony E/FE or Nikon Z.
Sharing APS-C with 24x36 will bring you the best of both world.

Because you will need full frame for wide angle and for very shallow DoF portraits. And APS-C for telephoto works and portability. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 6:24 PM, Yuhau said:

I 'll throw in a rather wild option for Old Chou:

Given you are using Q as the Main camera you might want to complement that with Leica V-lux ( typ 114) or V-lux 5. 

They both use the same battery and charger with similar pixel count.  The tilt screen from V-lux may provide  some interesting low angle shots of the kids and also video.  

Thank you for the recommendation.  I do sometimes struggle to capture kids sitting on the ground.

15 hours ago, duoenboge said:

@Old Chou.

A little bit different idea:

Olympus EM-5 Mark3 + Zuiko 1.8/75mm. Try it and you will wonder. Small, lightweight, nice eye AF, very sharp, beautifully bokeh. 

Thank you.  Heard great things about Olympus but never had the chance to try it out.  Eye AF (seeing how Sony does it) is appealing -- almost orthogonal to Leica M's philosophy?

what nicci78 says about the CL: same battery.

Great portrait lens with the CL: Zeiss Sonnar 50 f/1.5. It will be the perfect length ~75, will isolate at effective f/2, and is an extremely "kind" lens to human images. Not expensive used on ebay.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks again for all the great advices.  Options are fun! 

Seeing how important "using the same battery" is for a second camera, I made a list of all cameras that share battery  (LEICA BP-DC12/Panasonic DMW-BLC12/Sigma BP51) with Leica Q, FYI.

• Leica Q, Q-P
  • Leica CL
  • Leica V-Lux 4/V-Lux 5
  • Panasonic G95/G85/G7/G6/G5
  • Panasonic GX8
  • Panasonic GH2
  • Panasonic FZ200/FZ300/FZ1000
  • Panasonic DMC 2500
  • Sigma fp
  • Sigma dp0/dp1/dp2/dp3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bags27 said:

what nicci78 says about the CL: same battery.

Great portrait lens with the CL: Zeiss Sonnar 50 f/1.5. It will be the perfect length ~75, will isolate at effective f/2, and is an extremely "kind" lens to human images. Not expensive used on ebay.

This reminds me that I have the old Contax Planar 50/1.7 and Distagon 28/2.8 (from film days) sitting in the closet!  Perhaps I should find a crop sensor camera (CL?) to pair with the Planar and get a portrait setup?  Savings on lens so to spend more on camera?

1 hour ago, duoenboge said:

If a lot of technology in a small body, lightweight good deign and ergonomics is orthogonal to only a little technology in havy big body, then yes it is orthogonal. 😉😄

Ha I meant fast-autofocus-capture photography of the Sony's vs. slow-manual-create of the Leica's, if that makes sense.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Old Chou:

Perhaps I should find a crop sensor camera (CL?) to pair with the Planar and get a portrait setup?  Savings on lens so to spend more on camera?

That sounds as a very good plan to me.
You may rent a CL or whatever camera the lenses fit to make sure you like the ergonomics of it and to check how the camera works with your lenses.

Chris

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 7:09 AM, Old Chou said:

I know this question is a point of no return, but, after using Leica Q for half year and loving every second of it, I'm starting to want a second camera to complement Leica Q.  Specifically, I'm looking for another one-camera-one-lens system that could shoot portrait.

To be honest, I'm not a professional photographer by any means.  Most of my photos are family, children, friends, and some travel.  And the children are getting to the age of resisting camera and posing, so I want something that I can shoot from a farther distance, like 75 mm ~ 135 mm (35 mm equivalent).  I'm not sure if 50 mm is still too "in the face."  I've seen friends capturing great expressions of kids with a 135 mm.  I don't see myself shooting birds or sports with the tele lens.

Given your requirements, I would suggest an A7iii with a 24-105mm f/4 lens.  I was thinking along the same lines and after much back and forth, I went in this direction.  Being an M-shooter (and owning the much more elegant Q2) I was able to stifle the heretical feelings and place the order back in December.  Nothing has changed my mind about my M or Q2 but the Sony has been fun to play around with and serves the intended purpose admirably. I'm not a zoom fan in general but the 24-105 is surprisingly good even at the longer end wide open, which is a bit unusual as I understand it.  It serves the "one lens" one camera goal nicely including for portraits and more.  The autofocus capabilities of these Sonys are crazy - but so is the learning curve on their horrible menu system.  I get some perverse enjoyment out of trying to figure it out, however. 

I should add that I was also interested in the A7iii for astrophotography (prime focus with telescope) and will likely add an ultra wide fast lens for milky way shots at some point - Q2 and especially M not suitable for this. This pushed me over the edge in justifying the Sony  - but now I also have a camera I can take to football games and some such.....

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 8:49 AM, jaapv said:

Since when is manual slow?  

Manual is more relevant than ever with modern autofocus-assist and on the Canon R in particular. If I use an electronic-chipped lens like a Zeiss ZE, the Focus Guide feature (which is incredibly accurate) works hand-in-hand with eye-AF. That is, if I have Focus Guide enabled and also have the camera in Face+Tracking mode with Eye-AF enabled, then the focus confirmation box used by Focus Guide follows the subject's eye around the frame just like it does with an autofocus lens. All I have to do is worry about my composition and turning the Focus Guide confirmation box green.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 2:16 PM, T25UFO said:

No Leica lens is bad 🙂 but the APO is generally regarded as THE lens to use on a Monochrom.  Applies equally to M9M and M246 and I would expect the new M10M to take this to another level.

I was told that the Summilux 50 is an Apochromatic lens, Leica just don’t shout about it? 

5 hours ago, Tom Hills said:

I was told that the Summilux 50 is an Apochromatic lens, Leica just don’t shout about it? 

Yes, I’ve heard that as well.  There are some great photos in the M forum taken with the 50mm Summilux, but f1.4 would challenge my focussing ability with a rangefinder.  The 50mm Summilux SL is wonderful for portraits, but we’re moving off topic because the OP wanted recommendations for a portrait setup within a budget.  I suppose it’s always nice to dream!

• Like 1

How about Olympus EM1 mk2 with 45mm f1.2 stunning sharpness and feathered bokeh wide open. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2