Second portrait camera to complement Leica Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know this question is a point of no return, but, after using Leica Q for half year and loving every second of it, I'm starting to want a second camera to complement Leica Q.  Specifically, I'm looking for another one-camera-one-lens system that could shoot portrait.

To be honest, I'm not a professional photographer by any means.  Most of my photos are family, children, friends, and some travel.  And the children are getting to the age of resisting camera and posing, so I want something that I can shoot from a farther distance, like 75 mm ~ 135 mm (35 mm equivalent).  I'm not sure if 50 mm is still too "in the face."  I've seen friends capturing great expressions of kids with a 135 mm.  I don't see myself shooting birds or sports with the tele lens.

Any suggestion welcomed, either fixed prime, "bridge" camera or ILC.  Obviously Q will be the main show and take 90% of the photos.  So ideally the second system is not too heavy or bulky.  I've read similar threads on this forum and know many recommend CL with the 55-135 lens.  That is unfortunately over my budget for now, after just acquiring Q.  Although Q wasn't within my budget either :) (buying used helps).

I mainly use the Fuji X system, with my Q2 as a personal "everyday carry" camera. So now that you understand my bias.... when I want a second camera with a longer lens, I carry an X Pro 2 with the 50mm f/2 lens. The XP2 is an APSC size sensor, so the 50mm becomes a short tele lens useful for portraits. 

Edited by KenBennett
  • Like 4

Used CL with TL/SL, M or R lenses. 
It shares the same battery as the Q. 
Almost same UI and menu. 
Together they are close enough to be used alongside. 

Fuji cameras are too different and they do not play well with M lenses. 
X-Trans sensor makes rendering different.

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 5

I've been considering an Hasselblad X1D II for this use case (85mm - 135mm), or if Panasonic (or Leica) would deign to release a smaller/lighter full-frame L-mount camera. I have a CL I could use for this, but I'm hesitant to put more money into Leica APS-C lenses.

• Like 1

For portraits you need the rendering of both lens and sensor, not extreme lens IQ or high MP count, nor, -usually- high ISO.
I think an M8 with any vintage  50 to 90 mm lens would be just perfect - as long as you use an IR filter :lol:

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had quite a few portrait setups to compliment the Q/Q2.

Panasonic GX7 + 42.5/1.2 Nocticron

Fujifilm X Series + XF 56/1.2

Sony A7 series + FE 55/1.8 and Batis 85/1.8

Leica M series + 50/1.4 ASPH, 50/0.95 Noctilux and 90 APO-Summicron.

And my most recent set up is the X1D II and XCD 80/1.9. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

I've had quite a few portrait setups to compliment the Q/Q2.

Panasonic GX7 + 42.5/1.2 Nocticron

Fujifilm X Series + XF 56/1.2

Sony A7 series + FE 55/1.8 and Batis 85/1.8

Leica M series + 50/1.4 ASPH, 50/0.95 Noctilux and 90 APO-Summicron.

And my most recent set up is the X1D II and XCD 80/1.9. 

First of all, thanks to everyone's fantastic suggestions. 

Mr. Q, would you briefly mention how do you like those past setups?  What's your favorite if not considering medium format?  

I recently rented a Q2 to try out on a trip, and paired it with a M10 and 75mm Summicron. I really enjoyed using these two cameras in tandem while walking around a couple of cities. I have a long strap for the M10, and the rental came with a shorter one, so I had both out and could switch between them very easily. Both cameras fit readily in a small camera bag when I wanted them tucked away. Now I have to decide on whether to get a Q or a Q2...

• Like 1

vor 11 Minuten schrieb APA_Leica:

and paired it with a M10 and 75mm Summicron.

My Q2 and M10 or SL2 paired with a +/- 75-105mm lens with macro function would be my dream team.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb APA_Leica:

Now I have to decide on whether to get a Q or a Q2...

If you can afford the higher price for the Q2 then go for the Q2 as it's the superior camera, but the Q is still a very good camera with half MP and some other differences.
The biggest "issue" i had was the EVF who is on the edge of low quality, and due the half megapixels cropping is more limited, but i took grat photos with my Q.
The lower price for the Q give you the possibility to buy another lens for the M10 or a great trip to use both cameras in a "exotic" location.

Chris

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Old Chou said:

First of all, thanks to everyone's fantastic suggestions. 

Mr. Q, would you briefly mention how do you like those past setups?  What's your favorite if not considering medium format?  

My favorite was probably the GX7 + Nocticron.  The Panny body shared the same battery as the Q and focusing was super snappy. The Nocticron is built like a tank with great ergonomics and dreamy rendering.  I also prefer a 4:3 aspect ratio for portrait orientation.

Next up is the Sony combo due to the incredible hit rate of eye AF.  If I were shooting professionally I wouldn't even consider the other options. That's how good Sony's focusing is. The Zeiss and GM lenses are great too. I still have a A9 for challenging situations, like shooting children indoors.

Fuji was OK. The XF 56/1.2 feels cheaply made and slow to focus. I've read that AF speed has improved with the X-T3 but I haven't tried it myself.  I ended up leaving Fuji because I didn't like dealing with the X-Trans files in Lightroom.

As for shooting portraits with Leica M cameras, I found focusing and recomposing too difficult.  I just prefer AF for portraits. YMMV.

• Like 2

Every choice is, of course, dictated by price.  An obvious pairing would be Q2 and SL2 with a 75mm lens - same battery helps.  I still prefer the M series to the SL and my perfect combo would be the M10 Mono with a 50mm APO to use alongside the Q2.

Both cameras provide good crop options because of the high MP count - can’t see why you would need a longer focal length on the M10M for portraits.

I 'll throw in a rather wild option for Old Chou:

Given you are using Q as the Main camera you might want to complement that with Leica V-lux ( typ 114) or V-lux 5. 

They both use the same battery and charger with similar pixel count.  The tilt screen from V-lux may provide  some interesting low angle shots of the kids and also video.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Anika said:

why APO? would the "normal" Summicron 50mm be that bad?

No Leica lens is bad 🙂 but the APO is generally regarded as THE lens to use on a Monochrom.  Applies equally to M9M and M246 and I would expect the new M10M to take this to another level.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:43 AM, nicci78 said:

Used CL with TL/SL, M or R lenses. 
It shares the same battery as the Q. 
Almost same UI and menu. 
Together they are close enough to be used alongside. 

Fuji cameras are too different and they do not play well with M lenses. 
X-Trans sensor makes rendering different.

I regularly use a Fuji XT-3 with a M adaptor and my 50mm Summilux and it works beautifully giving me a ~75mm f/2.0 lens on my Fuji. I personally like it and find it very convenient. 

5 hours ago, T25UFO said:

No Leica lens is bad 🙂 but the APO is generally regarded as THE lens to use on a Monochrom.  Applies equally to M9M and M246 and I would expect the new M10M to take this to another level.

Really? It is a pretty impressive combo - but I like vintage lenses better on the Monochrom. My favourite is the Canon 50-1.8 LTM from the fifties. Somehow the tonal rendering of the lens fits the sensor optimally.

The APO will beat anything in pixel-peeping, but I like to judge the photograph.

13 hours ago, fredus said:

I regularly use a Fuji XT-3 with a M adaptor and my 50mm Summilux and it works beautifully giving me a ~75mm f/2.0 lens on my Fuji. I personally like it and find it very convenient. 

One lens may work good enough at normal distance. But have you tried it at infinity ? Have you tried with a less optical  perfection as the Lux-M 50 asph ? 
Have you tried with wide angle M ? 

Some Ms will be good enough with Fuji X or Sony E/FE. But that not always true with most of them. For peace of mind and best results. You need a Leica camera with M and R lenses. 

Because Leica will provide the thinnest sensor stack filter. Dedicated offset micro lenses. Automatic software correction. And correct EXIF if you use Leica adaptors. 

CL is a normal bayer sensor without AA filter. For maximum sharpness. 

No need to fight the X-Trans sensor in Lightroom. Even though Adobe is now using AI to figure out how to demosaic it. But it is not perfect. Use CaptureOne for better results with them. 

With L-mount system. You can upgrade or downgrade from APS-C to 24x36 when needed. 

• Like 1

vor 57 Minuten schrieb nicci78:

One lens may work good enough at normal distance. But have you tried it at infinity ? Have you tried with a less optical  perfection as the Lux-M 50 asph ? 
Have you tried with wide angle M ?

Some Ms will be good enough with Fuji X or Sony E/FE. But that not always true with most of them. For peace of mind and best results. You need a Leica camera with M and R lenses. 

Because Leica will provide the thinnest sensor stack filter. Dedicated offset micro lenses. Automatic software correction. And correct EXIF if you use Leica adaptors.

CL is a normal bayer sensor without AA filter. For maximum sharpness.

No need to fight the X-Trans sensor in Lightroom. Even though Adobe is now using AI to figure out how to demosaic it. But it is not perfect. Use CaptureOne for better results with them.

With L-mount system. You can upgrade or downgrade from APS-C to 24x36 when needed. 

All true, though Old Chou asked for a secondary camera and portrait setup, where perfection in the cornerns and at infinity are not such a huge priority, and for a camera that fits into a budget. Not sure a Lux-M 50 on an M-body fits the budget and is a economic choice for a 2nd camera.
I use a Fuji XT1 for color (with VM lenses) and a Monochrom for, well, BW. Those Fujis are not bad at all, and the files comes out just fine in Capture One. A used XT2 can be picked up for reasonable money on the used market, along with a Fuji lense of something like the ZM 50mm Sonnar.
If image quality is a primary concern, I would look at a Fuji GFX50 as well, used prices have come down a lot.

• Like 1