1-Click Convert Negative to Positive Using Phocus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is not strictly Leica, but I assume many Leica people would like to know. I hope.

It is about scanning negative films to digital positive using digital camera. There is a 1-click solution using Hasselblad Phocus.

Before talking about the post-scan processing, let's start with the camera set up. FYI, this is what I have, you may find your own preference.

--- 1:  Scan lens:  Rodenstock Apo-Rodagon-D 75mm F4 enlarger lens. It has no focus, and has the Leica M39 mount. ( A used one on ebay is ~ $200).

--- 2:  Scan focusing:  M39 to hasselblad adapter + Hasseblad extension tubes (21mm, 56mm) or Hasselblad Bellows  + copy stand + Hasselblad camera with digital back

Now, assume you have taken the pictures from your negatives, and you are ready to convert to positive.

--- Goto Hasselblad Phocus

--- On the manual bar on the top right, next to "... adjust,  Export", find the little "triangle and bars", click it, look for "reproduce", select it so that it can appear in thr "adjust" manual.

--- click "adjust", then look for "reproduce", click "reproduce" and look for "response", click "response" to select "negative". 

Now you are asking Phocus to convert your negatives to positive (and positive if the original is positive".

--- Go back to the top manual bar, select "Export"..... from now on you are on your way to export the file to, say, DNG, or whatever.

Remark 1: The above flow only works for the files from Hasselblad digital back.  If you are using Leica digital there are other excellent Lightroom plug-ins, but I haven't tried. 

Remark 2: About the copy stand, Leitz has a very lovely copy stand. Mine is the Zeiss equivalent. They are small and work nicely with the extension tubes or the bellows.
                  But if you use extension tube,  you might  need more space a long quick release between your camera and the copy stand camera clamp as a focus slider.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Einst_Stein
  • Thanks 1

So the only thing that Leica owners may not already have is a Hasselblad camera with a digital back? Well that's easy to rectify. But you fail to mention the light table for back projecting the film, is that also Hasselblad or Hermes?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 250swb said:

So the only thing that Leica owners may not already have is a Hasselblad camera with a digital back? Well that's easy to rectify. But you fail to mention the light table for back projecting the film, is that also Hasselblad or Hermes?

This is an info FYI. If you don’t like it, ignore it.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Dmitry Belyakov said:

What kind of copy stand is that? Looks a bit like BEOON, but obviously is not.

it's the copy stand from old Zeiss. I got it from ebay.

But ot is not relevant,  Your readily usable  tripod shpyld work just as well or even better.

I started with the cute copy stand thinking it would be easier in alignment but it turned out not true. Not for a heavy camera, at least. The modern DSLR or SL is already so heavy that the vertical pole would bend slightly and lost the perfect vertical. The other problem is keeping it balance. 

Try your ecisting tripod first. Use spirit level to adjust the leg extends to find the best vertical and horizontal position. It is much simpler than you might imaging. I get it done in less than three minutes. 

I have replaced the light box once. The one bought from B&H  is not bright enough and not big enough. Besides, all B&H light pad are much more expensive. I got an LED tracing pad from Amazon for less than one third of the price, A4 size, 2X larger, and about 2-4 X brighter. The brighter light reduces exposure time to reduce the effect of the annoying environment light, so that you dont have to work in the dark. 

One thing to watch when purchasing LED is to make sure it DOES NOT have the grid mask. It must be patternless plain white. This is why you cannot use your smart pad or smart phone. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/15/2020 at 8:46 PM, 250swb said:

and I counted 7 clicks 😂

13 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

One thing to watch when purchasing LED is to make sure it DOES NOT have the grid mask. It must be patternless plain white. This is why you cannot use your smart pad or smart phone. 

I use diffusion panels from a flash mounted soft box wrapped over a cheap LED video light with its own diffuser.  The three layers of diffusion hides the fact that light source is actually an array of LEDs.  I still get enough light to do the job.

33 minutes ago, marchyman said:

I use diffusion panels from a flash mounted soft box wrapped over a cheap LED video light with its own diffuser.  The three layers of diffusion hides the fact that light source is actually an array of LEDs.  I still get enough light to do the job.

I am also thinking to use flash and the slide copy tube but have not tried it yet. I think eventually that would be the better setup.

A diffuser in front of the grided LED should be good idea too .

Edited by Einst_Stein

• 11 months later...

Thanks for posting this. I had been using Negative Lab Pro in Lightroom, but it was pain. I Just used my tethered X1D to ‘scan’ some 6x6 negatives straight into Phocus as you suggest. Excellent one click solution.  Thank you. 

I gave up using a tripod.  I bought a Kaiser copy stand and Kaiser negative holder, complete with 6x6 inserts, to hold the negatives really flat. Works very well, sitting atop the Kaiser Slimlite Plano LED light box. Not a cheap solution, but very reliable. 

On 5/27/2021 at 5:51 PM, Pembers357 said:

Thanks for posting this. I had been using Negative Lab Pro in Lightroom, but it was pain. I Just used my tethered X1D to ‘scan’ some 6x6 negatives straight into Phocus as you suggest. Excellent one click solution.  Thank you. 

I gave up using a tripod.  I bought a Kaiser copy stand and Kaiser negative holder, complete with 6x6 inserts, to hold the negatives really flat. Works very well, sitting atop the Kaiser Slimlite Plano LED light box. Not a cheap solution, but very reliable. 

Welcome to the Forum!

Since we're offering alternatives, this is an excellent negative, far less expensive, holder: https://clifforth.co.uk/

And, while Neg Lab Pro is quite good for batch files, I find Neg Master a bit better for fine-tuning conversions.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1