Norman Peritore

R8 compatible with older R lenses?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello R friends, I am thinking of springing for an R8, because I would love the diopter and hotshoe so I can use flashes (I am using an SL) and do studio work again. Would it support the trigger for   strobelights? 

I dont understand this cam business> These are my lenses, how much functionality will i lose on an R8 with them, and is it worth the investment? Ie can I still use A,T, or will I be limited to M?

Summicron R 1.2 50

Elmarit R 1.28 , 135

Vario Elmar R 3.4 28-70

they ar all amazing lenses, Walter Mandel was a genius!!

Here is one with an SL and Vario Elmar 28-70, 4 year old Portra 100

Thank you for any advice you can give! Patrick

I have the SL, and 35/2, 50/2, and 90/2, all three lenses are "3-Cam". I also have an older 50/2, the series VI filter size, and it is "2-Cam".

My understanding is that the R8 must use 3 cam or later, R only is another style, as is ROM.

So, if your lenses are ROM (they likely won't be as ROM and the SL are not compatible), or R cam, again unlikely as the SL doesn't like then as well, then they will work perfectly on the R8. If they are 3-Cam, they will work on the SL, and the R8.

2 cam will not, I tried mine on an R8 that I owned a few years ago, no go.

You'll have to research the cams, and identify what the respective lenses you own are. If 3 cam, R cam only, or ROM, then yes. If they are 2 cam, or one cam, then no.

It's slightly confusing I agree, and I might have it wrong as well. Apologies if I do.

Gary

On an R8 or R9, you may use "3-cam", "ROM", or "third-cam only" lenses. On Leicaflex cameras, you may use only "3-cam" or "2-cam" lenses.

So, the solution is to make sure all your lenses are "3-cam", as they will function properly with all Leicaflex or R cameras.

Norman, just a small note to add to the above excellent advice. If you are buying further lenses, in my experience dealers have been known mistakenly to advertise R cam only lenses (sometimes called 3rd cam only lenses) as "3 cam". So it's worth checking with a dealer that when they say "3 cam" they really mean it!

Typical Leica obfuscation! The have a Leicaflex and R range but all use R lenses. But not all R lenses will fit all R mount cameras. You can have a 1 cam lens, a 2 cam lens, a 3 cam lens, and R only or 3rd cam only lens, oh and a ROM lens! 

This should help with identifying what cams your lenses have. 

https://www.keh.com/blog/leica-r-lenses-understanding-cams/

Yow! thank you for the help, you saved me buying an R8 that I cant use. Funny that all my R lenses fit on my Sony a72 with the adapter. 

A shame. I will stick to the SL which gives pretty results.

What to do about flash or studio lights?? Do you guys have any solution? 

Also, where in the world could I find a PHI 60 yellow filter or a red IR filter in case some Rollei IR film comes my way? Or is it duct tape? At least the camera will look less stealable!

Very best wishes, Patrick

PS pay attention Leica, issue an automated CL camera for film compatible with L, R, and M lenses. Make it in China so real humans can buy one. (we can dream cant we).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

PPS despite the cams, R lenses are becoming ridiculous in price because Cineasts are gobbling them up, the Elmarit 135 creates a beautiful Hollywood image, fabulous for the studio, Guess I have to photograph the poor model with all the lights on.

P

R8 needs the third cam.  So it can use older R lenses that have all three cams, or R lenses that only have the third cam (They're called "R only" or ROM). It cannot use lenses that just have the first or just first and second cam.  Leica went to three cam lenses or R only lenses with the introduction of the R3 in circa 1976.   ROM lenses are from the 90's (I believe) and only have the third cam.

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex

On 2/15/2020 at 11:56 AM, TheBestSLIsALeicaflex said:

R8 needs the third cam.  So it can use older R lenses that have all three cams, or R lenses that only have the third cam (They're called "R only" or ROM). It cannot use lenses that just have the first or just first and second cam.  Leica went to three cam lenses or R only lenses with the introduction of the R3 in circa 1976.   ROM lenses are from the 90's (I believe) and only have the third cam.

No, ROM lenses have the electronic contacts in addition to the third cam.

On an R8 or R9, you may use "3-cam", "ROM", or "third-cam only" lenses. On Leicaflex Standard cameras, you may use "3-cam", "2-cam" or "1-cam" lenses. On Leicaflex SL & SL-2 cameras, you may use "3-cam", "2-cam" or "1-cam" lenses, but 1-cam lenses will not allow wide-open metering.

On R3, R4, R5, R6, and R7 cameras, you may use "3-cam" or "third-cam only" lenses.

So, the solution is to make sure all your lenses are "3-cam", as they will function properly with all Leicaflex or R cameras.

Edited by Ornello