Sign in to follow this  
DMJ

SL2 and > 90mm lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking for some help here.  Ageing a bit (every day) but I have a good M lens collection, but struggle with eyesight.  M 135mm being the longest lens I have.  I use a M240 with evf but I struggle to get my 90mm to 135mm lenses in focus.  My widest is a Voigtländer 15mm lens.  Would the SL2 offer benefits to me with my lenses 15 - 135mm M mount?

The SL or SL2 have an excellent viewfinder. And the image in the EVF can be enlarged several times. So it helps focusing long lenses. At the same time it also helps with wide angle lenses, you can see exactly what will be on the final photo. Generally lenses with minimal depth of field are easier to focus with an EVF (e.g. Noctilux, 1.4/75, 135mm).  Another advantage of the SL2 is IBIS, so you have image stabilization with all your M lenses.  The only drawback is that the SL2 plus adapter is a bit heavier than the M you are used to.

Go to a Leica shop with your 135mm lens and ask to have a try (SL2 or SL).

Edited by caissa

I love the M RF experience, and limit my M lenses to 28/35/50 (occasionally dally with 75 or 90, but always end up selling).  Adding a +.5 diopter (in addition to glasses, for distance and astigmatism) helps my aging eyes. I never liked the mediocre, at best, add-on EVF.  (As an aside, I find the M10 VF superior to the M240... larger diameter, higher magnification and better eye relief).

For wider and longer lenses, I recently added the SL2 (with SL75 and two longer SL zooms).  I leave my M lenses on the M, and prefer native lenses on the SL2 for optimal use of its features (including AF) and its IQ. The SL lenses are state of the art, and like the body, are weather sealed. The focus aids on the SL2 (peaking and/or magnification) make focusing a breeze. And focusing is directly off the sensor, so no more calibration issues a la M, with the added benefit of IBIS (and OIS in the 2 zooms).  

I still prefer an OVF to an EVF experience, but the advantages of the latter for technical reasons are clear.  These systems are very different, but complementary.  Some love using M lenses on the SL/SL2, even doing so exclusively.  Others use less expensive L mount alliance lens options, while others adapt lenses, including the S range.  It’s a very flexible system.  Only way to know what works for you is to try... demo, rent or buy.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

DMJ,  Seems we are all aging for some reason or another.  That said, both Caissa and Jeff S offer good advice.  I use the SL II with my M lenses when I get out for remote back country hikes for my clients.  I find the SL II EVF and M lenses work superbly and focus easier too especially with the 135 lens.  For me, the lightened load for hiking long-distance with the SL II and M lenses make a big difference for my aging body.  r/ Mark

Life is all about compromises ! We all love the M for many reasons, and there is no reason why you wouldn't fall in love with the SL system. Unfortunately both have a downside, the M being "focussing with 75mm and up" with aging sight, and the SL being the weight. It's a perfect system but boy, you dont want to carry that weight.

It seems reasonable to say that a good compromise would be a SL2 with M lenses (50mm and above) while for wider angles the SL Summicron 35 and the Vario Elmarits seem to have a good feedback from the users. My opinion is not worth 2 cts, but I use the M28 and the SL35 on the SL2 and prefer the later. This said, with the SL/SL2 you need to know what you will put in your bag, just because you can't take it all...

Just go and try it out !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, Exodies said:

Would someone please explain what rangefinding accuracy has to do with focal length.

Which bit don’t you understand?

Well, you aren’t looking through the lens. The view doesn’t change when you change lenses. The range finder patch is a fixed size.

Edited by Exodies

You are right of course.

However, the closer one is to a subject the easier it is to achieve exact focus with a rangefinder. Assuming that often times one gets closer to a subject with a wider lens, it is indeed better suited than a tele lens.

With the SL camera it makes also sense to use SL lenses.... Try the APO Summicron SL 90mm, it is excellent. Not only from MTF but also from experience I can tell you that the APO Summicron SL 90mm is way sharper and better corrected than the APO Summicron M 90mm.  AF is fast and accurate. It is a pleasure to shoot. The 90-280mm zoom is quite large and heavy, but there are also L mount optiosn form Sigma or Panasonic (in the near future). The Sigma Art 135mm f/1.8 is excellent.

Even if you choose to continue with MF lenses in the beginning, you will soon realize and enjoy the benefits of the APO Summicrons - believe me. Weight and size considerations are often exaggerated. I always enjoyed the M experience (and still do so), but with UWA and telephoto lenses the SL(2) is much better (MF and AF).

The general theme here seems to be that the SL2 is the much more versatile option, but the biggest difference is the shooting experience. And many Leica M-users have gone with the M-system for that shooting experience. I own both the M240 and the SL2, but tend to use M-lenses on the M and L-lenses on the SL2, not necessarily because I can make better photos with one combination or the other, but mostly because the experience fits just better.

Two things to notice:

- Focusing an M-lens on the SL2 works very well, but preferably wide-open. Focusing at F/16 is a lot more challenging. So if you shoot a lot in bright conditions with small apertures, you find yourself opening and closing the aperture ring a lot.
- Apart from your 135mm lens, also your 15mm lens will benefit a lot from use on SL2. The both EVF and live-view on the M240 are by far not as good as on the M10 or SL2. In the very wide-angle-area, I use the 21mm summilux, but that is a lens I like a lot more on the SL2 than on the M240.

I use the M10-P and the SL2

I use a diopter on the M10-P camera, I would not be able to focus the 50mm 0.95 without it. I am having great success with it wide open.
The VF 20 for the M10 is a terrible experience for me. you can only tell that it is in focus if you zoom in. I like to shoot the lenses wide open, but if you go past f4 you never get exact focus unless you open all the way, focus and close back to your preferred F-stoop.

I got the SL2 to use the 50mm 0.95 mostly. It works amazingly well, no need of magnifying the preview. very happy with it. I feel you get the focusing under control with the SL2 and can now use it with paying clients.
I started using adapters not made by Leica to overcome the minimum focus distance of 1m , I can now use the Noctilux at 50cm. only downside is to set the lens profile manual in the SL2 to get IBIS to work.

I am still going to keep the M10-p, I like the stile of shooting better.