Q2 Right Wheel Button only works in auto-focus

Stu3y

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Q2 (firmware 2.0) Question for the assembled masses. Does your Right Wheel Button work in manual focus? I can only get the focus zoom option to come up on the right wheel button when I am in manual mode. There is no press and hold menu option available and no way to assign ISO to that button. In auto-focus, it works fine. Anyone else experiencing this?

Hy, the same with my Q2. I already thought about a "downgrade" to fw 1.1 because I shoot almost every photo with MF ...

Wouldn't it be beautiful if the right wheel could be programmed to vhange the ISO directly - without pressing the button. Then we would have a real "M10 light" 😉

No. At present it reverts to purely a control of magnification when in MF. I wish they would have implemented the feature differently, but I still love it maintaining the magnified mode especially when in macro mode. Hopefully they’ll see a better way to implement in the future using the set button. 

It seems a shame to have added a user programmable button to the camera design and then disable it if you want to manual focus, unless I'm missing something? I tried un--installing firmware 2.0 to revert to 1.1 but it won't let you go backwards. Lets hope it is something that is addressed in the next firmware release!

25 minutes ago, Stu3y said:

It seems a shame to have added a user programmable button to the camera design and then disable it if you want to manual focus, unless I'm missing something? I tried un--installing firmware 2.0 to revert to 1.1 but it won't let you go backwards. Lets hope it is something that is addressed in the next firmware release!

Agree. I believe that Leica does follow this forum so hopefully they are seeing the frustration and will address it next release. 
I am in the camp of using this new feature for macro photography and its fantastic. I just wish the implementation was different and that the Thumb Button would not have been disabled. 

By the way: how can I use the button for control of magnification? When I'm in MF-Mode and press the button the magnification is toggled. But for changing the magnification itself I have to use the centre-button of the cross. And there isn't much more choice than 3x and 6x - or am I missing something?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

56 minutes ago, Wanja_W said:

By the way: how can I use the button for control of magnification? When I'm in MF-Mode and press the button the magnification is toggled. But for changing the magnification itself I have to use the centre-button of the cross. And there isn't much more choice than 3x and 6x - or am I missing something?

You are not missing anything. That’s exactly how it operates. 

And for this I have to sacrifice the ISO-Setting on the button or the MF-Mode - great 😞

I really hope Leica will introduce the opportunity to use the wheel directly for the ISO-setting and will give us back the full control of the right button ...

However, thanks for the answer (I spent almost an hour playing around with this …)

6 hours ago, snooper said:

I wrote an email to Leica Camera support team, to know if there is any firmware downgrade possibility just because of that feature we lost with 2.0. 

We'll see if they answer...

I’m not aware of any way to install a previous version of firmware. Let us know what you hear. 

I wrote the following to Leica regarding this issue:

"Greetings,

First, please accept my appreciation regarding the newly release firmware update for the Leica Q2.

I have one request. Please reconsider the removal of the ISO adjustment on the dial wheel, center button when operating the camera in the manual focus mode.

This feature was very important when operating the camera in manual focus, allowing very quick adjustments of one of three primary exposure adjustments (shutter speed, aperture and ISO).

The feature is still available when in auto focus mode but was removed in the manual focus mode, thereby introducing inconsistent continuity in camera operation.

I hope you will consider this request and bring back this useful feature.

Thank you again for producing such a fantastic product and considering customer input."

Leica responded immediately with the following thoughtful response:

"Many thanks for your feedback.
I will forward your information to our responsible developers to take it into account in future updates.

Do not hesitate to contact us again if you have further suggestions or any questions."

I recommend you contact Leica and share your concerns as well. Their email contact information may be found on the Leica website. 

• Like 1

Hello again,

I just received an answer from Leica. They say that there are many users who share our wish for the button. According to Leica's product management this will be included in the next firmware-update. However, they can't tell when this will come. A "downgrade" is in principle possible but has to be done by Leica's  Service - I don't really want to know how much they want for this "service".

So all I (we) can do is wait. If we're "lucky" they have some really critical bugs in the 2.0 firmware an have to release 2.1 pretty soon 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OMG you were right. This is a major bug ! Losing the function button of the right wheel in manual focus is a huge deal. 
Please Leica correct this as soon as possible. 
No need to access to image magnification through this button. It is already automatic when we turn the focus ring. 

Moderator you should stick a message to inform people to stop upgrading to firmware 2.0. 
This is really a major issue. 

Am ‎14‎.‎02‎.‎2020 um 21:25 schrieb nicci78:

OMG you were right. This is a major bug ! Losing the function button of the right wheel in manual focus is a huge deal. 
Please Leica correct this as soon as possible. 
No need to access to image magnification through this button. It is already automatic when we turn the focus ring. 

Moderator you should stick a message to inform people to stop upgrading to firmware 2.0. 
This is really a major issue. 

I hope in the next version they won't force us to use the magnification during focusing ^^. I hate this feature!

6 hours ago, Alain88 said:

I hope in the next version they won't force us to use the magnification during focusing ^^. I hate this feature!

Why not turn off Focusing - Focus Assist-Auto Magnification—>Off?

This seems like overall a better solution for now until Leica fixes the problem. At least magnification is not invoked until one pushes the Thumb Button. 

Edited by Leica Guy

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Leica Guy:

Why not turn off Focusing - Focus Assist-Auto Magnification—>Off?

This seems like overall a better solution for now until Leica fixes the problem. At least magnification is not invoked until one pushes the Thumb Button. 

I stayed with the 1.1. Don't worry I set my camera as I like it to be. I was just thinking: what kind of setting will we loose on the next update... ;)

vor 30 Minuten schrieb Alain88:

I was just thinking: what kind of setting will we loose on the next update... ;)

I was just thinking what LEICA will bring for new, nice funcions like the 2.0 update.

I am fine with the update as i don't use the advanced functions, i use my Q2 mostly as i used my fathers LEICA from the 50's.
Well, ok, i use AF and exposure metering and i am not a professional and don't shoot weddings, not even for friends.
I shoot nature and landscape and there i have mostly time to fiddle around in the menu.

But this is just me!

Chris

• Like 1

I think a better implementation would be to add another level in the magnification cycle.  Right now, direction pad center button goes between 3x and 6x.  Just add one more to the cycle 3x -> 6x -> 1x and put the right wheel back to the way it used to be with customized settings.  Or even better, give us an option on what magnifications we want assigned to that cycle.

• Like 1