50mm DR Summicron Goggles & Lens Question

Hello

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey all. I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the M-Mount Lens thread so sorry if I've misplaced this thread. I figured because it's a more nuanced question this may be better addressed here.

I recently picked up a pair of DR Goggles and they are the later gen scrolled type-face version. There's a lot of confusing info about how to pair gogles up with a 50mm DR lens, so I was looking for some clariification.

Is there a reliable serial number grouping I should be looking for that would accomodate these goggles? Are the cursive lettered goggles universal to all 50mm DR lenses? Thanks for the help!

What are you meaning exactly? I never heard something about different googles, except scripts. Here are images from my former collection.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Hello,

We will have more informations, here I think.

Maybe the "ball size" ?

I use so many Summicron DR in last decades, that sometimes I mixed up their goggles.

Sometimes, the matching could not be done as the groove of the goggles in use is too shallow for the "ball" on top of the lens.

So there are two "ball sizes" that I discovered but never found the serial numbers range in documentations, for each "ball size".

Now I match in same package each DR goggles with the good "ball size" DR lens.

I thought that the front logo can give the "ball size" but had also found that was not always the case.

As side note, when the "big size groove goggles" mounted on the "small ball size DR", the lens can not be used in close range, we must push

the ball to turn the focus ring to get closer 🙃.

Please forgive me Pecole, I use your image with two arrows where we can have an idea of the "ball size" on DR goggles:

carrefully comparing the subtle groove size differences, here

• Like 3

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello,

We will have more informations, here I think.

Maybe the "ball size" ?

I use so many Summicron DR in last decades, that sometimes I mixed up their goggles.

Sometimes, the matching could not be done as the groove of the goggles in use is too shallow for the "ball" on top of the lens.

So there are two "ball sizes" that I discovered but never found the serial numbers range in documentations, for each "ball size".

Now I match in same package each DR goggles with the good "ball size" DR lens.

I thought that the front logo can give the "ball size" but had also found that was not always the case.

As side note, when the "big size groove goggles" mounted on the "small ball size DR", the lens can not be used in close range, we must push

the ball to turn the focus ring to get closer 🙃.

Please forgive me Pecole, I use your image with two arrows where we can have an idea of the "ball size" on DR goggles:

carrefully comparing the subtle groove size differences, here

Thank you, a.noctilux . I did not know, and never experienced the problem, probably because I always used the same lens, the other remaining in my collection. And I did not remark the different size on my photo, that you rightly used to make the thing clear. There is always to learn about Leica !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hello said:

Thanks. What serial numbers occupy later lenses?

I've no idea without researching … can be  guesstimated by comparing the SNs of the lenses in the Cameraquest link with the SNs in official Leitz production matrices … You can get a rough idea by looking at the Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition page 322 lens production matrix

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 11:25 PM, Hello said:

Thanks. What serial numbers occupy later lenses?

No idea... but I wonder if  the modifications 1st/2nd version occured all at the same time (from a certain batch, by logic) : i mean

- Single scale-dual scale

- Front writing in italic-in capital

- short focus to 19"-to 20"

- "condenser" logo - "simple" logo

- "big ball"-"smaller ball"

Do someon know if is like this or "half breed" items do exist ?

8 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

No idea... but I wonder if  the modifications 1st/2nd version occured all at the same time (from a certain batch, by logic) : i mean

Simple scale one in meters  1 531 xxx, 1957 condenser logo, large ball
                        one in feet       1 531 xxx,  1957 condenser logo, large ball
                        one in D/R       1 787 xxx,  1960  Leica logo, small ball

• Thanks 1

While we're on the topic of cron 50 "goggles", I've just noticed that the black plastic stopper that rests up against the camera when they are attached is missing (possibly broken off?? - see attached pic)

It's been like this since I've owned the unit (lens & matching goggles) - never really noticed the defect till I saw the pics on this thread.

The fact that's it's missing/broken, does it affect performance (i can't see that it would) ie does it really need to be replaced

Wondering if you can get this as a spare part (it does screw into the unit & is probably removable - havn't tried though) - maybe DAG would have it as a spare - not shown on website

Romualdo, the plastic part which was designed as anti-unmounting-without -first-unmount-the-correction-close-lens.

When in place, turning to unmount the lens is not possible.

But ...

- the size was for "small size Leica M" ( so not for M5 or M6 TTL/M7, nor tallaer digital Ms).

- we see more and more the part removed/cut to permit the DR use on those tall Leica M

- with some precautions we can use the DR in close range on all Leica M, without goggles, long range can be stuck to 3m... 10m depending on digital M

( as I stated somewhere, for mounting SOMNI on digital M, the lens focus ring must be set to about 1.5m )

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Romualdo, the plastic part which was designed as anti-unmounting-without -first-unmount-the-correction-close-lens.

- we see more and more the part removed/cut to permit the DR use on those tall Leica M

Arnaud, that makes sense - looks like mine has been cut

many thanks

Stephen (Romualdo)

21 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

13 hours ago, jc_braconi said:

Simple scale one in meters  1 531 xxx, 1957 condenser logo, large ball
                        one in feet       1 531 xxx,  1957 condenser logo, large ball
                        one in D/R       1 787 xxx,  1960  Leica logo, small ball

# 1 570 XXX, 1958, simple scale in meters, closest focusing 0,48 meter, condensor logo, large ball, front writing "non-italic"